Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Hello from Houston

1. joanaheter
    joanaheter
    Hi I am new to the group. I am going through the pre-stages for my surgery. I am doing 3 months of weight management class, my pyschology session is this friday plus my blood work. Upper and lower scheduled for April 3. Have to make an appt for cardiologist. I wish I could have the surgery soon so I can get on with my new life. I am also Diabetic, hoping that the surgery and weight loss will be enough for me to come off meds. I am very excited.

Joan
  2. Godsfavor
    Godsfavor
    Welcome Joan. The best of luck to you on your journey and just be patient it will be well worth the wait. God bless!
  3. dale
    dale
    Welcome, Joan! I was diabetic before my VSG, taking Metformin, Actos, and Glipizide. I stopped the Metformin immediately after my surgery, because it was a great big old horse pill! After losing some of my weight ( a few months), I noticed that whenever I took my meds, my sugar would go way low, and I would feel weak and dizzy. Long story short, I am off diabetes meds completely, and A1c and blood glucose level are normal. Love my sleeve! Although I haven't lost near the amount of weight that I need to, I am so much healthier now!
  4. Gemini
    Gemini
    Welcome!

I had my surgery almost 6 months ago - I have not taken diabetic medicine at all since the surgery, and having lost around 50lbs post-surgery, I was recently told by my diabetic Doctor that I am no longer diabetic - How about that? - No more blood testing daily, no more appointments, no more metphormine - For that alone, the surgery is entirely worth the rigmarole of the insurance paperwork, pre-surgery appointments and the anxiety of surgery!

And as for the eating, I am eating pretty healthy and exercising more - Combine that with the lack of carrying an additional 50lbs around, and I am feeling pretty energetic - Not getting tired in the late afternoon like I used to or after a meal - I can even touch my toes these days

I would have no hesitation is encouraging others to consider this surgery if other things have failed