Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

How did your "back to work" go?

1. rn2babes
    rn2babes
    Hi fellow nurses! I've read many comments about when you PLANNED to return to work, but there are a few of us who'd really like to know how that actually worked out for you? When did you go back to work? Do you work 8s or 12s, and how'd you do? Thank you!
  2. Dutchgirl
    Dutchgirl
    My surgery is scheduled for Feb 12th. I have 3 weeks off after surgery. There have been quite a few nurses who have had a gastric sleeve within the past year and they all have said that 2 weeks is not enough time off, take 3.

I work three 12's. Looking forward to hearing response from those who have already had surgery. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  3. vwpeery
    vwpeery
    I took one week off, and I was fine. But I am a CNM and do more desk work, and deliver babies, who are not heavy!
  4. hopesgramcracker
    hopesgramcracker
    It all depends on how you feel, its hard to gauge off of what other people have done because we are all different. I was off 5 weeks and glad I did it. My manager only allowed my four weeks and I had a one week extension from my surgeon. Prior to my surgery I hurt my back and went on three 8 hour shifts for 4 months and post surgery I was 8 hours for only 3 weeks then I went back to 12 hour shifts just last week. This was my first weekend of two 12's back to back in months and I am pretty sore and tired but I survived it. I work on a very heavy medical floor and had 7 patients all weekend so I was running like crazy trying to meet everyone's demands. The hardest part is trying to get water in. Protect yourself by getting the time off approved and just go back early if you decide that you can. I had alot of terrible reflux for a couple weeks to the point where I couldn't lay flat and that didn't start until after the first week post op. Then I did some Christmas shopping and over did it and felt like I was having a heart attack which took another few days to get over. So my suggestion is protect yourself and listen to your body, its the only one you have.
  5. Jari Jo Cleary
    Jari Jo Cleary
    I went back after 4 weeks. I work in a Nursing home and do 12's. I was exhausted but did ok. I also did 3 in a row. I agree with above get approved for 6 weeks and go back early if you feel up to it.
  6. piper
    piper
    I took eight weeks off. IM so glad I did that. IM a clinical charge nurse in a busy level 3 NICU. I am on the go all night, and I also go on transports. I work 12 hour night shifts. Part of my decision was based on my husband having gastric bypass 3 years ago. He
    Had some complications, and needed eight weeks. The other part of my decision was based on other nurses that had the sleeve done in the last year. One of them went back after 2 week, and the other 2 after 4 weeks. They really struggled. So I guess it depends how busy your floor is. My surgeon actually wants his nurse patients to take more time off because he knows that there are sometimes hours that go by without a break, and food. You have to stay on top of that . Good luck my friend :-) your life is about to take an amazing turn. IM almost 10 weeks out, and I've lost 60 pounds. I feel healthier than I have in a very long time.
  7. halfthemaniusedobe
    halfthemaniusedobe
    Was sleeved at Clearview Medical Center in Monroe, Ga. by Dr Chris Ibikunle at Georgia Surgicare in Loganville, Ga. It was Laparoscopic Davinci Robot assisted, took two hours, and I spent 2 days in in the Hospital then went home.
    I was 425 in January.....384 on day of surgery.....and now I am 358!!!! WHAT!!!! I feel worlds better!!! I haven't had to take a diabetic pill for 5 weeks and my sugars have only been as high as 133.....Game Changer!!!
    As a nurse that works in the the Operating room where I had my procedure done, I was AMAZED at how our top of the line technology, smart OR, and Davinci system combine to give an awesome patient experience!!! I always knew I gave good patient care.....but I was even more impressed as a patient!

Today was My second day Back to work circulating Ortho cases.....I AM BEAT!!!! But the endorphines that kick in after the workout at the gym after work make the exaustion go away!! Get a tervis tumbler they have a 20 oz insulated flip top water bottle that keeps water available and cold. My only other suggestion is the one liter camel back water system, it actually fits well under a scrub jacket and is always available for quick sips...but NOT hydrating during a 12 hr shift makes you Nauseous, tired, and you get cramps.
  8. halfthemaniusedobe
    halfthemaniusedobe
    Was sleeved at Clearview Medical Center in Monroe, Ga. by Dr Chris Ibikunle at Georgia Surgicare in Loganville, Ga. It was Laparoscopic Davinci Robot assisted, took two hours, and I spent 2 days in in the Hospital then went home.
    I was 425 in January.....384 on day of surgery.....and now I am 358!!!! WHAT!!!! I feel worlds better!!! I haven't had to take a diabetic pill for 5 weeks and my sugars have only been as high as 133.....Game Changer!!!
    As a nurse that works in the the Operating room where I had my procedure done, I was AMAZED at how our top of the line technology, smart OR, and Davinci system combine to give an awesome patient experience!!! I always knew I gave good patient care.....but I was even more impressed as a patient!

Today was My second day Back to work circulating Ortho cases.....I AM BEAT!!!! But the endorphines that kick in after the workout at the gym after work make the exaustion go away!! Get a tervis tumbler they have a 20 oz insulated flip top water bottle that keeps water available and cold. My only other suggestion is the one liter camel back water system, it actually fits well under a scrub jacket and is always available for quick sips...but NOT hydrating during a 12 hr shift makes you Nauseous, tired, and you get cramps.