Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

at what age

1. vembraleigh
    vembraleigh
    my daughter is 21 and now wants to have this surgery with her being so young i think it is just crazy she has a 2 year old daughter she goes to the gym alot she is only not even 5 foot tall and weighs about 220 i just dont think it is smart for her to even want to do this but i dont know what to tell her any suggestions
  2. ashlie
    ashlie
    That is young, but the one thing I've heard so many people on here say is their only regret is that they didn't do it sooner. I honestly have been throwing around surgery since I was 25, and I just turned 29. I have been overweight for as long as I can remember, but only REALLY obese since I had kids. I remember counting calories when I was 10. I remember wanting to lose weight when I was 7 or 8. My parents made poor food choices for me as a kid that grew with me as I got older. My family definitely has the "over weight" gene. I'm not only hoping this helps me, I hope it helps my kids. Has she had weight problems for a long time? The fact that she has a kid, seems as though she is probably mature enough for something like this. If she goes to the gym and nothing is happening, WLS should help that for sure.
  3. Olga1o1
    Olga1o1
    I agree with Ashlie. I'm about in the same boat, I've been overweight my whole life and now considered morbidly obese. And I have been dieting since I was about 7 years old. I've been on every diet and have even had my own gym membership since I was 18. My effort to loose weight has ruled my WHOLE life. And still does to this day, my weight effects my relationships, ability to be a good parent, even my work in many ways. And with all those struggles and living at the gym I HAVE been able to loose weight twice on my own, but than only to regain it back with interest each time. So now I am almost 31 years old and over 300 pds...so do I wish I could have had surgery ten years ago and forgone the last ten years of missory, struggle, and the irreversable stretch marks and damage to my body that this weight had brought?... YES, YES I DO. If this extra weight on your daughter not just a new temporary thing and if she has been struggling with it already for some time allow her to reclaim the rest of her life back and actually get to enjoy it like most of us wish we had.
  4. vembraleigh
    vembraleigh
    thank you she has been just like me over weight her whole life ever since 7-8 just crazy and i do feel its my fault cause when she was that age i was around 330 or so. so looks like we need to talk
  5. Olga1o1
    Olga1o1
    It's so great to see that you are concerned and are on here asking questions, helping her research to see if this is the right decision for her. You're a great mom!
  6. melissagodinez
    melissagodinez
    How to Prevent Saggy Skin After Vertical Sleeve Surgery

Read more: How to Prevent Saggy Skin After Vertical Sleeve Surgery | eHow.com How to Prevent Saggy Skin After Vertical Sleeve Surgery | eHow.com
  7. kallima_butterfly
    kallima_butterfly
    I wish I had done this earlier...I spent all my 20s hiding and half my 30s doing the same thing. I understand a mothers concern about when is too young but I think it’s not about age but maturity of each individual and their commitment. Will it help her enjoy her life fuller without negative side affects? Has she yo yo diet lots. Can she maintain a diet? Has she tried to loose weight? In the end if she’s ready then she’s ready and age is nothing but a number.
  8. WyomingDiva
    WyomingDiva
    Kallima, what you said struck a nerve with me. I've spent the last 20 years hiding because I was embarrassed about my weight. No more!!!
  9. topher
    topher
    I would be supportive of anyone getting it at any age they feel they want it and are ready. Sitting at age 24, I look back and wish I would have done this when I was 21-22 and still in college. I had the means, just didn't feel like I was ready. Now at 24 in the corporate world, I am ready for this change, and want an added tool. Looking back, I wish I would of done it earlier!
  10. kallima_butterfly
    kallima_butterfly
    Thats the spirit WyomingDiva!
  11. azladyrider
    azladyrider
    I just got into it with a mother who is taking her 14 year old to have it done this month! 20 yes 14 NO
  12. Maia0628
    Maia0628
    I recently read something very interesting about parenting. It said basically that from the day our children are born we are their managers and run their every life decision as far a where you go what you have and sometimes what is even thought. The difficulty we face as they grow into adulthood is letting that go and becoming their "consultants" vs "managers". It's like we do all that hard work and get demoted. You are a great mom from what I can tell but momma she is an adult now and needs to make her own choices right or wrong. As a good momma you want the best for her and this includes her health. If she is this heavy and not able to lose @ 21, where will 31 find her? Diabetes, bad knees, sleep apnea? She will have you for support and wisdom through her journey