Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

High BMI

1. kizzy1888
    kizzy1888
    I was just wondering if any of you had concerns going in to the surgery with having a higher BMI? My BMI is over 70. My surgery date is March 4th. I'm just very concerned about the surgery. My BMI is so high and I'm worried about the risk. Anyone else feel that way before going in?
  2. olivera207
    olivera207
    Mine was 66 so dont worry you will be fine
  3. Readysetgo!
    Readysetgo!
    Mine was 70. I just made sure I followed the pre op diet. I was on high protein liquid for a month prior. It was hard at first then much easier after the first week. I was so glad I did. I made sure I was up walking two hours after surgery. I made sure I got my water in. I started my liquid diet on aug 30 and had surgery on sept 28th. I am down 89 lbs since August 30th. You will be fine. Don't worry ,It is the best decision I ever made!
  4. kizzy1888
    kizzy1888
    Thank you both for your replies. You have made me feel more at ease!
  5. ScarlettO
    ScarlettO
    Mine was 72. I took longer in surgery but they were still able to do it all laprascopically all went well and recovery has been fine thus far. I agree stick with pre-op diet. Shrink that liver as much as possible your surgeon will thank you
  6. NoKo
    NoKo
    My surgeon told me that for high BMI patients, gastric sleeve surgery is preferable because it is lower risk. He and everyone else I met at my super appointment gave me the impression that with such a high BMI that gastric sleeve was the right way to go.
    Good luck for your upcoming surgery! May it be just the new beginning for you that it is for so many others!
  7. TinaF1971
    TinaF1971
    My BMI was around 85 when I first saw my surgeon. He said I had to get under 400# before he would operate on me. The NUT said they don't like to do the surgery unless someone's BMI is under 80 at the bariatric center I am going to. My surgeon also said the sleeve would be safer for me. My BMI is a little over 70 now and I am having surgery tomorrow!
  8. kizzy1888
    kizzy1888
    Thank you ScarlettO, NoKo, and TinaF1971! TinaF1971, best of luck on your surgery tomorrow! Keep us updated. I have 14 days! It's getting so real!