Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

7 weeks the countdown is on!

1. Socaldixiegal
    Socaldixiegal
    February 11th is surgery day for me! Nearly a full 7 weeks away. I know it's going to zoom by as I've got several business trips between now and then. The tough part will be the 2 week liquid diet during a conference and business meetings!

Having all the fluid removed from my band this week. I started down the path of VSG with my original band doctor and don't plan on telling him I'm still doing the surgery but with another doctor. I'm just having the fluid removed and canceling my surgery with him. No need for me to elaborate.

I'm actually looking forward to doing this journey on my own! My friends and family are supportive but I'll be going down on my own. Looking forward to meeting my fellow sleevers while there!
  2. Texas Girl
    Texas Girl
    So exciting!! When I booked my surgery date it was 7 weeks out too! It felt so far away at the time, but you are right about it zooming by (especially if you're going to be traveling and such), because I can hardly believe my date is now under 2 weeks away!

I, too, feel the toughest part is going to be the pre-op liquid diet. I have been really struggling to start losing the 5% and I have even tried doing 2 protein shakes as meal replacements, but I've eaten a normal lunch AND had snacks in the morning and afternoon. Even with that, I've been hungry, so I'm not really looking forward to moving to all liquids this coming weekend!!

Good for you for doing this journey on your own! You know you will probably meet friends for life while you're down there!
  3. Oakleygirl
    Oakleygirl
    Hey ladies... I am excited for you both! I think I will be choosing Dr. Ortiz as well... it was a toss up between Alvarez and Ortiz... only thing that made me want to go with Alvarez was how the coordinator responded to my leak questions... very honestly said they have had 8 leaks in 4000 operations... whereas Dr. Ortiz's coordinator said they have never had leaks! I just thought the latter was a bit cocky, but then I wondered if maybe Dr. Ortiz is just really that good?! Alvarez also keeps you in a hospital for the entire time, but then I appreciated the pictures here of Dr. Ortiz's clinic and it made me feel better that it is not a back-alley kind of place. I think they are both top-notch drs and now wonder if the only difference is price ($8700 vs $4500). I will watch your posts closely and wish you all the best... i believe this IS a great tool to achieving our weight loss goals, even though it seems drastic to some people. @ Texan Girl.. I will be especially interested in how you felt about going alone... I'm okay with it, but my husband will be worried out of his mind. We have 3 boys (2 with special needs) so there is no way he can come with me. Anyway, I'm rambling! Best of luck!
  4. Oakleygirl
    Oakleygirl
    PS... BTW, where are you all from? I'm from Ontario, Canada.
  5. Socaldixiegal
    Socaldixiegal
    I'm in Southern California - Orange County which is nice as it's only 1 1/2 drive to San Diego typically. Oakleygirl - Ortiz keeps you in the hospital typically one night then you stay at the Marriott close by with daily trips to be evaluated. Which I'd rather do than stay in the hospital the entire time!
  6. Texas Girl
    Texas Girl
    Hi Oakleygirl! Interestingly, Ortiz and Alvarez were my final two, as well. I read Dr Alvarez's book and would be very comfortable with him, no question. I am impressed with him. But, my biggest reason for leaning towards him was because he is across the border in Texas (I am in Austin, TX) and I could drive down there instead of flying to San Diego. But, something kept pulling me towards Ortiz and in the end, I know he's the surgeon for me!

Oh, and I actually am NOT going alone - I have a friend going with me who had WLS (not the sleeve, but a MGB) this past June in Mexico, so I feel she'll be priceless along my journey! I would, however, be comfortable going alone - my only concern would actually be getting bored! LOL!
  7. kreid
    kreid
    I have not set a date for mine yet but am feeling in my heart Dr Ortiz is the one for me. Did any of you have any reservations about paying the $500 Deposit?
  8. Texas Girl
    Texas Girl
    Hi there!

No, I didn't at all. All the surgeons are going to require a deposit to hold your date, so I was actually anxious to pay it - it made it real!!

Good luck!!