Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Almanza or Garcia ???

1. kittvalley
    kittvalley
    I have been researching wls/vsg for about a year. I have narrowed my decision down to dr. Almanza or Fernando Garcia. I have read tons of feedback and am just looking for help in finalizing my decision.
  2. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    You look in to Dr.Q?? 4k if you deposit by the 31st. Otherwise of the twi ask. What preperations duch as additional cost associated with surgery like hotel before or after surgery do you get your own room do you share? How many surgeries a day? Aftrr surgery do you stay at thr place surgery was preformed if so How many days are you there? Etc.
  3. cowgirldiva17
    cowgirldiva17
    I had my surgery with Dr. Almanza in July. I would not hesitate to recommend him. My experience was great. The hotel is beautiful and the staff is amazing. What specific questions do you have???
  4. kittvalley
    kittvalley
    Ive just read so many posts, both seem equally good, the only thing that concerns me is the number of surgeries Almanza does per day. I would probably be one of the first to get sleeved being a lower BMI. My time to chose us coming up, and I suppose I'm just getting nervous and second guessing myself.

Silly I suppose, huh!
  5. shereebarb
    shereebarb
    I had my surgery with Dr.Garcia 8/31/12. I would highly recommend him. They pay for the hotel the night before surgery, then you are in the hospital for two days and then another two days at the hotel. The hotel is the Marriott. It is extremely nice. You get free broth Popsicles and bottled water while you are there. There are also a whole team of doctors that check on you while you are in the hospital. The day I had surgery there was only two other patients having surgery with him. I have had zero complications. In a little less than four months I have lost right at 60 pounds. I am so glad Iade this choice. But I will urge you to do what feels best for you. Good luck!!
  6. Christian_Loving_Life
    Christian_Loving_Life
    I had Dr. Mario Almanza at the Jerusalem Hospital (which is actually a small clinic in a strip mall). It was the most sanitary place I ever saw. Your BMI does not determine when you will be sleeved because we had lower BMI folks that went last. Dr. Almanza does 6 per day usually HOWEVER he did do several more on the Monday I was there and I was one of the last ones to go in. Still had a wonderful experience. The hotel is paid for IF you are alone (I had my husband so we paid for ours but it was only $50.00 per night). I had one night in hospital and 2 nights in hotel. There was a health nurse with us at the hotel that checked on us each night before bed and was at our beck and call. You received free popsicles, broth and water from front desk and restaurant. You do have some negotiating power in what you pay. I would send an email to Melissa and ask if they will match the 4000.00 from the other place (Mine was $4400.00 in November). I can only speak to my experience with Dr. Almanza and his amazing staff and I highly recommend their clinic.
  7. Phranquie
    Phranquie
    I had a great experience with Dr. Almanza. I specifically chose him because he does so many surgeries and I wanted someone with experience. They are a well oiled machine at the clinic. I had a higher BMI than most of the people in the group with me so I did have to wait a while but it was not bad. You just sit and chat in the waiting room with other patients until your time to go down to surgery. No biggie for me other than not drinking, but by then you have an IV in your arms so you do not get dehydrated.

I got good care and had every questioned answered. Most of his staff has had the surgery and he has as well. (You can ask to see his scars and he has a nice looking six pack).

The only regret I have is that I did not do it sooner!
  8. Enfury8me
    Enfury8me
    I had an awesome experience with Dr. Quinones in TJ. The price of 4,000.00 included a stay at a luxury Hotel after 2 days in the hospital. Was a very nice place and so clean in a new area of TJ. Might want to consider him also.
  9. Nickijo
    Nickijo
    I’m going with Dr Garcia because the cost although not the cheapest includes my husband being able to accompany me he will only need to pay for meals. Also Dr Garcia does very few surgeries in a day yet has a good track record. I also know someone personally that has been to him. I am going through Ready4achange.
  10. connielsmith
    connielsmith
    Good choice!! I had Dr. Garcia and also went through ready 4achange. I am 6 months out yesterday. Down 50 lbs. down from a size 20 to a size 8... I am very happy. The Mi Hospital is very clean and has very friendly staff... The Marriott is where we stayed. Also very clean and friendly staff. I went with a friend and we both had the Sleeve down and both are doing well.
  11. Joanne1958
    Joanne1958
    Great choices Ladies, in the hospital with good care for 2 days sounds amazing!
  12. kittvalley
    kittvalley
    thank you every one for your feedback.
  13. leo39
    leo39
    Both are gentle and patiently answer your questions. I have also read that Garcia often removes hernia's at the same time if he finds them and does not charge extra. Mi Doctor Hospital is where I've chosen (though I'm almost positive I'm going with Dr.s Cabrera and Louisana) because I wanted to be in a hospital with an ICU able to handle emergencies just for my own peace of mind. I would choose Garcia over Almanza because Garcia never does more than five surgeries a day, whereas Almanza does an average of eight. He also gives 2 nights in the hospital instead of 1. It ultimately depends on who you connect with. I have other health issues to consider and tend to have a slower recovery so I appreciate the more conservative approach at Mi Doctor, but if you have had anaesthetic, surgery, and pain meds before and responded well then I'm sure you'll be just fine with Almanza. Good luck!
  14. Travis Guillot
    Travis Guillot
    I am planning my sleeve with dr. Almanza, its a financial issue. And when i contacted staff, they made me feel comfortable. I see that doctor almanza has a great deal of experiance, and i am over weight by about 100 pounds, not really really bad, but besides that i have never had a surgery, broken a bone, have no known medical conditions. Bmi around 45, so i am approved. Hoping i am making a good choice, kinda nervous, but excited.
  15. Nickijo
    Nickijo
    I was sleeved by Dr Garcia last week and it was nice knowing that he didn’t do a high volume of surgeries a day. He is kind and explains everything to you. He takes great care to make sure you dont have any leaks not sure how many have viewed the procedure on youtube but there are few different videos when I asked him about how he does it he told me he over-sews the edge of your sleeve, this was the way I had hoped after knowing that I had complete faith in him.
  16. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I was wondering have you considered Dr.Quinones regarding surgery? I read you said price issue. I had surgeyr with him and now coordinate for him. LET ME LET YOU KNOW THAT! I used him due to price he was a lot cheaper at the time. He is 4500 and you fly in between 8a-1p you can have surgery same day no need for a hotel the night before which saves you 65 dollars and then you go to the facility have surgery lets say Friday you spend the night Friday and Saturday night than on Sunday morning you go to the hotel which is included or you can decline your option and then you spend the night and go home on Monday. The only other cost of the 4500 is medications. so all together your only paying 4570 at most for everything. SOMETHING to consider. If you plan a February surgery if you come in before the 26th we are having specials. SO from February 09th thru 17th $200.00 off total price $4,300.00 if you have surgery that week, and February 18th thru 24th $150.00 off total price $4,350.00 if you have surgery that week just have to be paid in full.