Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

How do your family feel about you having WLS?

1. crystal
    crystal
    Well my husband is fearful of me going to Mexico, but he's getting better since I educated him on some things. One of my sisters is behind me 100% my other siblings all are against but some of them need to be sleeved themselves lol......@ this point I really don't care how anyone feel its all about ME!
  2. werlmc02
    werlmc02
    My mom had the Roun-en-y gastric bypass surgery 5 years ago and did so well. She is so supportive of me and knows exactly what I am going through. I saw her go through the process and I know sort of what to expect. My dad hates the idea of me having the operation and being in pain, but supports and respects my decision, knowing how important this is to me. I need this surgery like I need the oxygen I breath.
  3. Rachel Atchley
    Rachel Atchley
    I'm not sure where my family stands.

My daughter is happy b/c mommy will be healthy but my son has no clue whats going on b/c he is 3.

My younger sister is gonna be the tough one. She has always been the skinny one. (If skinny is 260lbs) She prides herself on being smaller than me but that's gonna change very soon and I can't wait. I'm not gonna rub it in her face but I will encourage her to come work out with me and maybe we can lose weight together.

My step-mom is gonna be one that's gonna try to discourage me and try to make me cheat. She is always trying to shove food in my direction.

I don't speak with my older sister. Sad I know but it's her fault.

My dad will be just fine with this. He will prob be very supportive b/c he has always been that way. Plus I'm a daddy's girl.
  4. werlmc02
    werlmc02
    Sorry your family cannot be more supportive on your journey. You just stick to your guns and remember, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." Best of luck.
  5. Rachel Atchley
    Rachel Atchley
    It's ok, I got friends who are very supportive and I have y'all. That's all I need.
  6. StephO
    StephO
    I'm pretty lucky in that 99% of people I've told about it are very supportive. My husband is so supportive (he's read up on things himself, and we're currently 1,500 miles apart so that I can do this... yeah, I'd say he's a big support!). I'm staying with my parents now, while going through this process (basically, Kaiser is in So Cal, not in Texas), and they're both pretty supportive. I think my mom more so than my dad, because I think he thinks I can do it on my own without the surgery (but I know in the back of his mind, he understands, because he struggles with weight, too). My friends ask me for updates, and are supportive as well. So I'm pretty lucky, and thankful.
  7. Jacqui
    Jacqui
    My parents & partner are very supportive & realizes I've made the decision to start living again.their only concern is because my op will be very high risk due to having an artificial heart valve fitted 2yrs ago & having congestive heart failure
  8. mishapie
    mishapie
    My friends, family and work colleagues have all been very supportive even in these early stages.
  9. Deeringer76
    Deeringer76
    All my Family and Friends are behind me 100% but I got that one friend though that is supporting me but she keeps bringing up a horror story from a friend that knows a friend were the surgery went bad so I'm avoiding her till after my surgery!
  10. Michelle Lamb Jackson
    Michelle Lamb Jackson
    I'm super lucky to have everyone supporting me so far. I have not told my in-laws, but expect them to support me as well. They will probably fuss a little, ask a million questions, and in the end cheer me on like everyone else seems to be doing. Some of my friends are almost as excited about this as I am.
  11. ReadyToLiveAgain
    ReadyToLiveAgain
    Hello all! New to this website and just joined your group! I am planning on having the surgery next month although we have not officially set the date. My mother is behind me 100% and my 4 yr old son is just happy that mommy will be more healthy and able to run around and play with him more. I am currently in nursing school (second semester) and as you guys know its really difficult to move and do the things that "normal sized" people do. So getting this surgery will not only help my health, emotional well being but also my ability to perform as a student and a nurse. I currently weigh 388lbs and I would love to just be able to hit 200. That is my long term goal. I am very blessed to have my mom and my friends to support me. Some of my friends have their doubts and worries about the surgery but for the most part they all believe that this is going to be a wonderful thing. My whole clinical group is standing behind me and they are cheering me on! =) I couldnt be more excited!
  12. Kawill81971
    Kawill81971
    My mom is for it, but kind of nervous. My wife is all for the sleeve surgery, and supports me 100% beings she has had the lap band surgery over 8 years ago. She to wants to have the sleeve surgery after realizing how many complications, adjustments, and such baby sitting it is to have the sleeve. Co-workers are not sure about it beings they do not know any one that is having the surgery.
  13. mamma2boys
    mamma2boys
    My family is driving me nuts because they just want to tell the whole world and I want to keep this to a small circle of trusted friends. The friends I have told have been awkward. They don't know what to say...
  14. sweetnursekj
    sweetnursekj
    I am not telling my parents, my mother is a big worry wart and she will worry herself to death, and i am not telling my dad until later, I don't know I think he will understand but I don't want to tell him. My son is happy with my decision to get surgery i have been talking about it so long with it he just wants me to get it done already! lol he's a teenager. So I have told only 1 good friend she is a big support she will take me to my surgery. I hope you all will be a big supporter too.
  15. sweetnursekj
    sweetnursekj
    I am not telling my parents, my mother is a big worry wart and she will worry herself to death, and i am not telling my dad until later, I don't know I think he will understand but I don't want to tell him. My son is happy with my decision to get surgery i have been talking about it so long with it he just wants me to get it done already! lol he's a teenager. So I have told only 1 good friend she is a big support she will take me to my surgery. I hope you all will be a big supporter too.
  16. Darlayna1960
    Darlayna1960
    Everyone I've told has been very supportive I sat on a waiting list for 3 years before I found another Doctor closer to home that will do the surgery. As its been so long most people are aware that I have been trying to have it and now are very excited for me that I finally have a date for surgery. My husband is scared that I will have complications and he can't stand to see me in pain but he is supportive otherwise. My in-laws feel that since I have lost over 50 lbs waiting for surgery I should be able to do it on my own but they are supportive regardless.
  17. Julia B
    Julia B
    I started out telling only the people that needed to know because I was afraid of their reactions and negativity. Each person I have told has been so supportive that I have begun telling a few others and have even discovered some that are also having WLS or have been thinking about it and want to watch me and how I succeed to make their decision. Those that know cannot be more supportive so I feel I have been very lucky as I know that some people have had some really bad experiences telling others.