Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

BMI between 35 and 40

1. bluiz77
    bluiz77
    I am curious if anyone else with a BMI between 35 and 40 have been approved for surgery or has already had the surgery performed. When I tell people close to me the journey I am about to embark on the remark I always get is "but your not big enough" I am not doing this for vanity but to live a longer healthier life. I have a BMI of 37 with PCOS, Sleep apnea, and Metabolic Syndrome and would love to be off of all the medications. I will be getting my referral from my doctor this coming Friday I believe I will be referred to Kaiser South San Francisco. I am happy,scared and excited all at the same time.
  2. maddy
    maddy
    When I began my sleeve journey a little over two months ago my BMI was just over 37, just today 69 days post-surgery it is below 30 (the difference between not-obese and obese) -- Yeah!!!!!!! I, too, was nervous pre-surgery, but now feel this was the best gift I ever gave myself, slightly edging out LASIK eye surgery. I have more energy and feel healthier now than I have in the past decade. My blood pressure and cholesterol is normal without the aid of prescriptions.

The people making these remarks may not understand the difference between a sleeve and gastric bypass, may not understand the extent of your underlying health issues, etc. I think you need to make the decision for yourself with the help of your doctor and as much information as you can possibly collect for yourself. You cannot lump yourself into a group, or look at others to make the decision for you. You will make the best decision for you, once you've learned enough that you honestly believe in that decision for yourself. Good luck!
  3. Socaldixiegal
    Socaldixiegal
    I'm a self-pay patient as I only have high cholesterol. I did the band 5 years ago, also self pay with a BMI just under 40. I've lost some, regained most and now at a BMI of 35.8 so again self-pay. I didn't tell anyone about the band. Glad I didn't as I'm such a success with it (read with high sarcasm!) And, I don't plan on telling many people about this either.
  4. mrsomaha
    mrsomaha
    I feel the same way, I've had people tell me I'm not "fat enough" for this. I don't plan on telling anyone else I'm doing it. I'm going to my Dr tomorrow and hopefully will get the approval to go ahead otherwise I won't be approved for short term disabilty leave at work. I have high bp; hypothyroidism; and my joints ache so bad, it hurts to do anything. All my excess weight is in my stomach and butt. My surgery is scheduled for March 18, 2013
  5. HeatherAmy75
    HeatherAmy75
    I have a BMI of 36 but doctor says I'm qualified because I have sleep apnea along with the BMI between 35 & 40. I've also had people say I'm "not that big", "not big enough for that". I just explain to them about the sleep apnea and that I have PCOS and how it's near impossible for me to get weight off and more so to keep it off. I don't care what anyone thinks. I'm doing this for myself. I'm going to be a whole new healthy me. I'm at the very beginning and my doctor seems to think the insurance will have no problem covering it. Good luck to you, think positive thoughts!!
  6. bluiz77
    bluiz77
    HeatherAmy75: Are they making you lose weight first? I know with my PCOS that it has become impossible to lose weight I was put on Metformin and didn't lose weight like a lot of people but I have stopped gaining thank God! I have gained 21 pounds in the last year!! Argh
  7. Truebody
    Truebody
    Hi there. I have a BMI of 38 and I would challenge anyone to say that I don't need it. I'm still in the research phase of whether I would have the procedure, but for years anything happens to me - it's because I need to lose weight. Athritis in the knees - lose weight, sore back - lose weight, earache - lose weight (that last one isn't true, but you get the picture.....)
  8. mrsomaha
    mrsomaha
    just had my physical and lab work done with my family Dr. I'm borderline diabetic, he wanted to put me on metphormin but I told him I decided to go ahead with the Sleeve and he was very happy about my decsion; said he won't write the prescription for it then and said that within the year I'll probably be off all my meds. hbp; thyroid, I would be happy just for that. he said it was a very good choice for me and can't wait to see me after I have it done and watch my progress. here's to a healthy BMI !!!
  9. inspired4success
    inspired4success
    I'm glad I joined this group because I can relate with everything you ladies are saying! I'm so sick of people a telling me that I'm not "big enough"! Who are they to judge what size it weight justifies surgery? I have a BMI of 37.2, which makes me morbidly obese at a size 14. I also have co-morbidities such as osteo-arthritis, incontinence, and carpal tunnel. I'm doing this for me and to end my battle with weight forever!
  10. coly
    coly
    My bmi was 30.5 last Thursday. About 40 days post op. Still considered obese until less than 30. I don't think the general public realizes this. I really get pissed off when people say, oh, but you are big boned! No, I'm not. They are just so used to seeing me big they don't realize I actually have a small frame.
  11. elliscoastie
    elliscoastie
    wow...I found a group I belong in! I have surgery in 4 days. I have two sisters who don't think I should get this surgery. I started this program in January at 217. I am 4 days away from surgery at I weigh 194. Yes, I've lost a lot of weight on my own, but I am getting this sleeve as a tool to keep me on this path. I have a hiatal hernia which is the basic reason I'm doing this. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and mild sleep apnea. My doctor supports my decision to get this done. I wish more people would understand why I am doing this. I have a supportive husband, and that's what matters.
  12. Edge07
    Edge07
    My BMI is 37. I've had only 1 person tell me that they didn't think I needed this surgery. I've chosen to only tell my truest of friends and family mainly because I don't really care or need others snide comments or sideways looks at me. We all know those kind of people that will say good for you just for the sake of being nice but not necessarily honest. I had one girlfriend say after telling her that she couldn't understand why people would go have surgery that a doctor hasn't deemed mandatory. I looked at her and said this is not a cosmetic thing I'm having done. I'm doing this so I can breath again when I bend over and tie my shoes. So I can walk a flight of stairs without having my knees ache from the climb. So I can stop feeling like I should have a bedroom at Walgreens because I'm there so much getting my prescriptions filled. Most of all I'm getting this done so I can LIVE a life. I don't want to just exist in this world, I want to ENJOY it! If all those reasons don't make this surgery mandatory then call it what you will. Needless to say my dear friend was speechless after that.
  13. pasturedoglover
    pasturedoglover
    I too have a BMI just under 37. People who tell me I'm "not that big" are A) just being polite or B) have NO clue what I look like naked and would run away screaming if they did!! I'm only 5'4", weigh 217 and wear a size 18 pant that is beginning to be too tight. I'm doing this for prevention of more problems down the road. Not vanity. I'm doing this so my back, hips and knees quit hurting. I'm doing this so I don't have a coronary walking up the stairs. I'm doing this so my horse doesn't roll his eyes when I get on and so I can sit behind my husband on his motorcycle without having to hold my stomach in so he doesn't have a hard roll of fat sticking in his back. I'm doing this so my feet will quit hurting when I wear something cuter than a tennis shoe or clog. I'm doing this so my apnea will go away. But mostly, I'm doing this so I will live long enough to see my future grandchildren and be able to get down on the floor and play with them without needing a crane to get me back up. So, to hell with anyone who doesn't approve...they don't walk in my shoes....if they did...they would completely understand.
  14. gregorygirl
    gregorygirl
    I am 5'4 217 pounds at my weigh in. I am waiting and hoping to get approved. I too have sleep apnea which I just discovered while trying to get approved. I get my CPAP machine on Thursday. I'm actually looking forward to it so that I can sleep and have some energy during the day. My family is also telling me that the sleeve is too drastic and that I'm not fat enough. I wear a size 16 that is getting tight. Have to find shirts to hide my belly, wear a sweater over my clothes to hide my back fat! I am just praying that my insurance approves me!

Good Luck to All!
  15. gregorygirl
    gregorygirl
    Do any of you 35-40 BMI folks have major trouble with excess skin after the sleeve? I am not that worried about it as I really don't have much now except in my tummy but some of the people that are saying I don't need this are now saying "Ya know your going to have to get surgery to rid the excess skin afterwards because you loose about 80 pounds in 4 months." Has anyone had sagging skin that really bothers them enough to get plastic surgery? thanks!
  16. Lisacmline
    Lisacmline
    I get what you all are saying too...it really resonates with me. My BMI was 35 but people don't realize that is the OBESE category! I had high blood pressure, High Cholesterol, severe sleep apnea (was on a Bi-Pap machine), bad liver (super high liver enzymes) and the last straw was 4 herniated discs in my back. I did not want back surgery again and I knew the weight was killing me.
    HOWEVER, with ALL those health problems my insurance would still NOT cover my surgery! So I had to take matters in my own hands. Self pay in the states was not an option as the price was around $24,000. My husband and I both work full time jobs and do some side work, we work hard, pay our bills and have great insurance (of which we also pay for) but still my insurance would not pay a dime of my surgery.
    I decided to take an advance on my credit card and have the surgery in Mexico. I would do it all over again and again as I am now down from 218 to 164 three months post op!
    What really kills me though is about two months after my surgery I was visiting my sister and her friend was there (which I think she is living with my sister now...). This friend has no job and gets government assistance. She weighs a little more than I did (around 220-230) I noticed a hospital band on her wrist and asked if she was in the hospital. She said that she had gone in for gastric bypass. I was like: "Oh, my how could you afford that?" She laughed and said that her docs had told her she had high blood pressure and was pre-diabetic so the doc said surgery.
    WHAT?!!!! I work my but off and pay for my insurance but this chick who is on government assistance gets surgery for FREE? What is wrong with our country? That is sooo unjust and sooo unfair! I had WAY more medical problems than her and fought like heck to have it done. I had to leave the country and have it done in Mexico where I could afford it. SHE seemed flippant about it and really didn't care. Maybe the reason she was overweight to begin with is that she had nothing to do and sat around all day...NO exercise at all. She didn't even try to exercise. UGH!
    I don't know about any of you but this seems way outta whack. What's next for folks on government assistance.....boob jobs too? REALLY! I think more people should know about this...WE are paying for that!
  17. LtWeight
    LtWeight
    I can relate to this thread. When I started out on this journey in January I was 204 lbs @ 5' 3" and BMI of 36.1 and everyone said the same thing, "but you aren't that big." Little did they understand the weight was killing me! High cholesterol for years, sleep apnea on CPAP almost 3 years, knee and ankle problems (physical therapy for quite a while), and the straw that broke the camels back was high blood pressure. My sugar was good but I knew it would only be a matter of time with the family history I have. So I only told my family and close friends. Once I made my decision I didn't want to hear any opinions on how I could lose the weight myself without surgery. Sure, I've lost that weight many times without surgery but was I able to keep it off with diet and exercise? No! There is such a stigma regarding WLS and everyone seems to believe it's all about will power, problem is that it is so much more complex and involves so many hormones and other factors. I'm sure my family members weren't all thinking it was a good decision but I live almost a thousand miles away from all but one of them and they didn't say anything negative to me. I'm so glad I made the decision and I hope to be at goal and maintaining this time next year!
  18. east928
    east928
    My BMI is 38 point something, and I have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and a few other things like hypothyroidism, etc. My insurance is paying because of the high blood pressure. I'm a tiny person EXCEPT FOR MY BELLY which is where I store most of my fat. It runs in the family. I don't drink beer or alchohol, but I sure look like I have a beer belly. LOL. I'm nervous about the loose skin thing after this is all said and done because I had a c-section on my last delivery and my doctor said those pesky c-sections create a 'stopping' point so the skin has nowhere to go. That all being said, I'm thrilled my insurance is covering this bill. Why wait until the BMI is higher if you dont' have too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. Ready2go
    Ready2go
    My BMI is 37, and I have been overweight/morbidly obese for 25 years. I haven't had high blood pressure yet, but my doctor is ready to put me on cholesterol medication. Because of the body type I inherited, and seeing what my mom and her sister are dealing with now, I have decided to have the surgery. I see the future and it's not good if I continue with what I have now. I am very fortunate to have the insurance that I do. They cover the surgery for "failed attempts", which I definitely have had. I haven't told many people that I am having surgery, but a couple of the ones I've told don't think I should do it. Someone mentioned it being the last resort. I don't see it that way at all. I see it as being proactive, as taking control while I'm still young enough to live my life as a smaller, healthier person.
  20. amayzme
    amayzme
    Oh i am so glad ti see this group. My. bmi is 33.6 and i also have.sleep apnea.
    can't walk stairs without rails to pull up on. can't tie my shoes or shave my legs with any measure of comfort. i get so frustrated at that " your just need to walk and.cut carbs" aaarrrggg!
    So I'm going to mexico to see Dr Almanza on january 5th. paying for it myself. i have tried it all...and have gained steadly since menopause.
    I'm 59 yrs old..5'6" and222# . so happy to feel this HOPE!!! to finally get help to control this spiraling weight gain...60 of those pounds on just since last july...finally holding an average 210 to 225 for the last two months. but i hate these tight size 18 pants. and shopping is a disaster . thank you thank you thank you all for the support and mostly the compationate understanding.
  21. Lapound
    Lapound
    I'm a triple threat. Bmi under 40, 58 years old, have lost weight in past. The bulk of the comments I get are that I'm not that big, which implies I'm big. Or that I don't need it. I then educate them that this surgery isn't just for Al Roker body types. Being older comes with comments implying I'm doing this for vanity, or that now is the time I'll need the extra fat - should I get sick. Last, I've lost weight in the past then gained it all back plus ten more pounds. I lose weight again but not quite as much as before, then gain that all back plus ten more pounds. You see the trend? So because I've lost it, I'll get comments stating I've done this before and just not trying and that I'll gain it all back, just like before. I assume this surgery helps w portion control for life. I don't have a problem making healthy choices to eat, just the amount. Anyway, this forum is a big help. I'm a bit over 5 feet, 193 lbs, high BP, high cholesterol, entire body aches, sleep patterns off ( thus the reason I'm writing this at 254 am). I was approved by insurance in less than a day. I work in a hospital where I'm getting the surgery done. Start pre diet dec 31. Surgery jan 14. Excited, scared. Did a lot of research but at the same time, not overthinking it. Best to all.
  22. TexasBetsy
    TexasBetsy
    I'm going to have the sleeve in February sometime - self-pay. I started at a bmi of 35 but through diet & exercise while waiting/deciding now I'm down to 33.6. I might be able to lose the weight, but I have proven over and over and over that I will gain it back. I asked my husband to keep my plans for surgery to himself; I'm not prepared to chat about this with critical in-laws etc. Both my parents had advanced cardiovascular disease, diabetes and leukemia. I am working hard not to follow them. I just don't want to get any older and still be fighting the extra weight and all the problems that come with it.
    I'm excited there is a group of low BMI sleevers here. Would love to have a "pal" off this board.
    Best wishes to you all!
  23. Goodlife1206
    Goodlife1206
    I feel a connection with so many of the comments made in this group. I started at a BMI of 40 at 230# and 5'4". Over the process I have lost to a BMI of 37. I have surgery in two days. I have been excited but nervous. I too have had people, even some medical personnel, tell me that they are surprised as I am not "that" heavy. I have lost several times more than 50#, but gained the weight back.

I want to get and remain healthy. My family and friends are very active and I want to participate too. Over time I will have more and more health problems that are directly related to my weight. Why do you have to wait until you have ruined your health and are a couple 100# overweight to deserve this surgery? I have came to the realization that it is my decision and if my husband and I think this is best, that is enough.