Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Getting back to work

1. JENGAR
    JENGAR
    Hello everyone I am a labor and delivery nurse, I am in pretty good shape meaning I usually have more energy than others and have a regular work out schedule. My surgery is 12/10 my employer doesn't know I am having surgery don't need the headache but how long did it take everyone to get back to work I work the day shift thanks
  2. TNMama
    TNMama
    I also work l&d. I took 8 weeks off, but would have been comfortable going back after 2 weeks. Hope that helps! Good luck!
  3. JENGAR
    JENGAR
    Yes for sure the only prob is this is busy season work would only give me ten days I hope I can fend for myself or I will be having sick calls. And I hate leaving my coworkers short handed. I will also start work as a midwife starting the middle if January.
  4. Born2Bfree
    Born2Bfree
    I actually have an office job now. I thought I could go back to work after the first week. But I ended up doing a little computer work at home the 2nd week. But... I was very tired and slept a lot that week. When you can only take in 400 calories or less you just don't have much energy. Also I had lifting restrictions. As nurses we are always "steadying" patients or "catching" them before they fall. Please be very careful. Best wishes to you!
  5. Ranch Nurse
    Ranch Nurse
    I have taken two weeks off and I plan on returning Monday. I only work 8 hour shifts though, if you are doing 12's you may need more time. I don't know. But I think 2 weeks would be a good guess. Wish you well on you upcoming surgery. I am only 11 days out and my energy level is really coming on. Like a new beginning is not an overstatement!
  6. JenniferP
    JenniferP
    I think 3 weeks minimum would be best. My surgery was 11/14/12 I have taken off til the new year. I don't think I could go back now bc with the liquid diet it runs right through me. At first I had bad diarrhea and had to have fellow RN bring me a liter of LR and ran it in. I still have the diarrhea but am able to keep hydrated. So glad I was able to have all this time off though. If needed I think I could go back next week but plan on enjoying this time off. I knew I was eventually going to have this surgery so built up tons of paid leave
  7. Shellbell1975
    Shellbell1975
    I took a full month & very glad I did!
  8. JENGAR
    JENGAR
    Thanks on Monday I am going to talk to my nurse manager and see what I can do
  9. vwpeery
    vwpeery
    I took one week off and was back working. But I am a CNM and did not need to do any transferring pts and c/s. I felt pretty good. But I worked 12 and 24 hour shifts.
  10. squinnrn
    squinnrn
    I took 3 weeks off; but could of gone back after 2 weeks. I work 4/12hr days. Doing great!!
  11. sarahjjames76
    sarahjjames76
    Very helpful post! The last thing I want to do is tear my stomach after having surgery. I've waited waaaayyyyy too long for this surgery.
  12. debkay
    debkay
    I work in the ER, I took 4 weeks off and went back two days ago, the first day was good, felt good to be back, yesterday was hard and by the time I left I was extremly exhausted and hurting all over. Today I had to call in. I work 12 hours shifts and on most days you dont get a break, I wish I would of taken off another week or so. My advise is to take off what you can.
  13. rnkims
    rnkims
    I am a critical care nurse, have worked PRN for 16 yrs. I do not have PTO, vacation, short term disability, or any other paid time off. I was planning to have the lap band surg instead of the sleeve because it has a quicker recovery time and I can't afford to be off work. I had my first visit today with MD, and he strongly encourages that I have the sleeve. He said I could go back to work after 1 week, but I might be tired. I am pretty tough, I work a lot of overtime. I can push through being tired, but is it realistic to go back after 1 week? (I won't be working overtime!). I don't want to have complications.