Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Heading Home

1. bkjamison
    bkjamison
    I came for a re-sleeve after 2 yrs. Originally done in Dallas. Had regained some weight and thought pouch had stretched and had some pain and redness at incision site. Everyone in US including my bariatric doc has been blowing me off for 6 mos and several trips to ER at home. Re-Sleeve was scheduled for Nov 16 here in Tiajuana at Jerusalem Hospital. I was last Patient of the day. In the OR before sedation, the procedure was discussed with all medical personnel in the room. They were concerned with redness at scar line so sent me for a leak test at radiology clinic across town (Tiajuana). They discovered a gastric leak in first gastric sleeve that was leaking body waste into my abdomen so surgery was not done that evening. Next morning was sent back to radiology for ultrasound to confirm more exact location of the potentially fatal leak. Long story short, they decided NOT to do the procedure to fix the leak here because of the complexity of the leak in combination with many former abdominal surgeries that have presented a lot of scar tissue and adhesions inside. Although I am disappointted that I wasnt "fixed", I was impressed that the group of doctors together discussed my case, did the necessary tests and discovered the leak that no one in the US has been able to diagnose for the past 6 months. I am told they will be giving me all of my radiology tests and reports today to take home with me so I can get to a local doctor and hospital with my "proof" of the leak, and get it fixed there in a larger, more fully equipped facility in case of any emergency that may arise during a complex surgery, so heading home today, back to Dallas, and understand I will have a refund coming. As far as recommending this group, even though I didnt get the surgery-I DID get a correct diagnosis FINALLY and even though they really wanted to correct the problem here, they all felt it was in my best interest to do THIS ONE done in the States as their facility, while very well equipped is very small in size and staff. I really respected that they put my health and safety first, and not the almighty dollar. So will get home to ER ASAP and will let you know what happens from there. On a side note-No regrets on having the bariatric surgery even with a leak now. It happens sometimes and if caught can be fixed. I lost 135 pounds. It was soooo worth it. All of the other patients scheduled in and around my same date are done except one who got sick prior to surgery and rescheduled, so altogether probably 15 or so patients I met are all from the USA, at least four were nurses in the States, and everyone is doing fine. Facility is small, not what you see in the USA but despite occasional language barriers, everyone is very nice, very caring, and put your health and safety first. Hotel Ticuan is wonderful, up there with Hilton or Marriott, great food and bar and staff and 24/7 onsite nurse for the bariatric patients who are recovering. Edgar in particular is AWESOME! My only gripe was lack of communication from doctors all day yesterday. We really wanted to get the records and leave yesterday to get to an ER at home but it WAS Sunday, clinic was closed, and I can understand that, so we will see how today goes for getting records and refund and getting home on our originally scheduled flight. For those still considering coming here, I'd say do it! My case is rare and you will make some great new friends in your patient group.
    Barb Jamison
  2. vickybeads
    vickybeads
    Thank you Barb for sharing. Hopefully, your US doctor will be able to get you fixed up. If you have problem with him, come check out mine, Dr Daryl Stewart in Denton.

Victoria
  3. bkjamison
    bkjamison
    WOW, Thanks Victoria. Mine was done by Dr. Harry Meyers at Presby Plano (formerly Navy Doc at Bethesda) 2 yrs ago. Also practices at Medical City Dallas. Was there in August with this complaint he did EGD said everything was fine and to put antibiotic cream on red spot on scar and thats it. We will see bout that!
    Barb
  4. bergamini
    bergamini
    Sorry about your leak. That has to be very unusual this far out from your surgery. Hang in there with it.
  5. gabrielle48
    gabrielle48
    Hang in there it will get better! i am glad you are getting the leak corrected and you have proof that you know what it is. now they have to do it right and not change you. Good luck and God bless
  6. Deanna13
    Deanna13
    Congrats on getting such amazing care in Mexico.
    if you dont mind me asking who was your original dr ? if you dont want to share it you may pm me
  7. ascnbe
    ascnbe
    This is a fantastic story. I shows the professionlalism of the doctors in Mexico that they made the decision to send you home and did not attempt to repair it there. You likely will need some time in an ICU and get that cleaned up to prevent sepsis. You are very lucky to have not had serious complications from that type of leak. It also shows that no matter where you get the surgery there is risk involved. I am scheduled in Tijuana with Almanza and he does 3 leak tests. I just visited my mom in FL and read about a lady that had bypass done that leaked, her father is a local MD and she didn't make it. Her surgeon blamed it on the staple gun saying it malfunctioned. I am so happy to hear that you had no serious leakage or infection. Get into an ER and have that checked out asap. I am sure you have the positive thoughts of everyone here.
  8. bkjamison
    bkjamison
    Update-
    Thank you everyone for your posts and concern. I had a full leak test with contrast here in the States yesterday and there is NO LEAK. Turned out the ultrasound and report they sent home with me didnt show anything at all. Radiologist went over both US and Mexican reports thoroughly, comparing the too. There is a small fistula on the scar line, but that is superficial, sort of a pocket that wont heal and I have to stay on it, much like a diabetic who has wounds that wont heal. The doctors theory here is that the doctors in Mexico just deemed my belly a little too scarred up to do a repeat surgery and given the small size of the clinic decided not to risk it and thats fine with me. I have already recieved the $500 deposit refund from Weight Loss Agents but still waiting on the bigger amount that I paid by Cashiers Check to Jerusalem Hospital. That will truely tell the ethics tale. Hope everyone who I met there who DID have the surgery is doing well.

Barb
  9. vickybeads
    vickybeads
    Hi Barb,

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for your other refund. Glad everything worked out. How will the fistula be taken care of? Antibiotics? Please keep us updated and take care.

SS Victoria

"Do not take the advice of those old sages and wait until you can "walk confidently in the direction of your dreams". If you do, you'll never take the first step. Instead, leap and learn to fly on the way down, (And for heaven's sake, don't wait until you lose ten pounds!). Now is the time to jump in with both feet...arms flailing, hair flying, and screaming at the top of your lungs, "I CAN DO THIS!" You don't have to believe it...you just have to do it. So don't wait a minute longer. Start now!" Suzy Toronto