Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

My Real Experience with Dr. Lopez

1. Toomuchme
    Toomuchme
    Hi Everyone... I just returned from having surgery in TJ with Dr. Lopez exactly one week ago. I wanted to post a few details of my real experience....Overall my experience was good. I'm back and doing well. I have a slight infection from my drain tube but my doctor here said the antibiotics that Dr. Lopez gave me should take care of it.

The hospital was nice..the nurses were very attentive for the most part. I really wanted to ask Dr Lopez a few questions BEFORE surgery about my future stomach size. Although I never made a request, I just assumed he would stop by and introduce himself but he did not. I didn't get a chance to meet him, talk to him or ask him any questions before I went to surgery and didn't even see him in the OR. He may have been there but I didn't see him. The anesthesiologist stopped by and she was great! I had total confidence in her. My surgery seemed to go well and Dr. Lopez stopped by twice after my surgery. It's not the same as before but....I went to the Marriott to recover. I felt really good the first day. The second day I felt a little feverish. My patient coordinator passed that along to the Dr Lopez's team. Dr. Ortiz came by my room to take out my drain tube. It was 11:00 PM when he arrived which was fine but I just had fallen asleep. As he came in the room he grabbed a hand towel and some tissues from the hotel bathroom to take out the drain tube. I knew I probably should have insisted he use something else but I was tired and I kept my mouth shut. I'm not a nurse. I don't know if not sterile or at least clean is necessary. The tube is coming out, not going in. I don't know if I should have freaked out or not. I also told him i felt feverish and he took my pulse and said something like ' no, it's okay'. I'm no medical expert, but a thermometer would check for fever better than taking my pulse I'm sure. I did have fever when I got home and have a slight infection that I mentioned. Hopefully the antibiotics will do their job and I'll start losing lots of weight. Again...I'm not saying Dr. Lopez is not a good doctor...I'm just sharing my personal experience.
  2. itchycat55
    itchycat55
    That is odd, something must have been up or maybe super busy.
    When I got to the hospital and filled out the questionnaire, with another patient, he came and spoke to us both and reviewed our answers.
    As far as the medical waste, did you notice the little red bucket on the cart near the nurses' station? They do treat that stuff much differently than in US/Canada. I don't recall if he grabbed a towel at the hotel, but I do know he just tossed the drain in the unlined garbage can in the suite.
    Hope all goes well.
  3. BiggieSmalls
    BiggieSmalls
    I would say that I had several of the same experiences as you. Dr. Lopez did not spend a lot of time with me before surgery, but Dra. Osuna did before the surgery. This did not phase me - I didn't have any questions I needed to ask. He did come by afterwards and check on me and ask if I had questions.

Dr. Ortiz removed my drain tube in the same manner - he grabbed a handtowel hanging on the rack in the bathroom of the hotel and placed it underneath me while he removed the drain. I would have preferred that he grab another towel but again, it wasn't that big of a deal to me. The drain came out easily.

As Connie said on your other post, the hospital was clean but due to the amount of people, some things were overlooked. When I changed rooms (I was moved from a double room to a single room), the trash can was not emptied, and there were some spots on the floor. This wasn't something I was really concerned with, it happens. Would it happen in a US hospital? Maybe, maybe not. I asked for some towels, they were brought a little later.

My overall experience was very positive. At this price point, I wasn't going to nitpick (and I am not suggesting that you are) about things that really didn't affect my quality of care, and (IMHO) I don't think that these are things that people should look at and say "Holy crap I'm not going to Mexico!"

I'm sorry to hear about your fever, I can't say that I think Dr.Ortiz did the right thing. I hope your fever subsides quickly.