Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

The Nay Sayers....

1. kebo7605
    kebo7605
    I have a lot of people in my circle (including a few that have had surgery themselves) keep telling me, I don't need to have surgery. It's to the point now I don't want to tell anybody but my boyfriend my next move. I feel like nobody has my back but him and ME. The few friends that have had the surgery who didn't do anything to even TRY to loose weight are the most discourgarging.
  2. Aincog78
    Aincog78
    Yes, there are many people like that... Usually people who are not doing the correct steps after surgery and those who are of average weight....just ask your friends who have had surgery, 'would you do it again?' Then there is your answer... Do what is best for you and ignore the haters!
  3. Hollylouya
    Hollylouya
    That's so hard. I'm sorry you are going through that. But the truth of the matter is that only you and your primary care physician know what is best for you. If you have comorbidities that this surgery could fix or if you have struggled with weight loss your whole life, and if you are willing to commit to the diet and new lifestyle this requires then I'd say go for it. This is hands down one of the best decisions I've ever made. It may seem like it is taking the easy way out but it is major surgery and it forces you to change your eating habits. It is still hard work and requires a significant amount of willpower. But for me, now that I can actually see results, that willpower is so much easier to come by! Best of luck to you. This is your decision. Do what is best and right for you. At the end of the day you are the only person you need to please!
  4. ICanDoItVA
    ICanDoItVA
    I haven't told many people about it because I don't want the negativity. When I have told someone, I preface that I only want people who I know will be positive about it to know. That usually sets them up to be more supportive. My personal trainer at the gym, though, nearly had a heart attack when I told them. In fact, they spent 45 minutes trying to talk me out of it. I told them it wasn't their choice, I've battled with this my whole life, and I came to this decision after researching a great deal of information about my options. This one fit best. Their choice was to either help me operate within the context of the situation or I'd walk (no pun intended). I would love to tell my family about it but most won't know because they go on and on about those who choose the surgery are just lazy. Only my sister really knows. It hurts me the most not to be able to tell my mother but I think she would be the hardest to cope with once she knows.
  5. karebear
    karebear
    they don't live in your body, they don't feel what you feel. forget them and do everything that you cann to make you a healthy person.
  6. amykarryn
    amykarryn
    I don't understand people...when you're heavy you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I think people like heavy people around them so they feel better about yourself. And as for being lazy, I'd like to see those people follow the diet and exercise regemin required with a sleeve...not to mention the process to even get approved, or the fact that you have to have major surgery...and I ask you, what is wrong with taking advantage of advances in science? We use these advances in our daily life all the time. Next time someone says the sleeve is a shortcut, ask them how they wash their clothes, with a washing machine or a bucket with a scrub board and soap??? Ask them if they are still taking a horse and buggy to get to work...it's unreal...
  7. ezell29
    ezell29
    People will always have something say about what others are doing. i know for when I started this journey my twin she who had already had the band didn't want me to the the surgery. My husband who is 130 maybe really didn't want me to but I had to remind myself And I have this for others or myself. Do whats best for you and your health cause you deserve it.
  8. bluiz77
    bluiz77
    I agree people that I have told tell me that I don't need it but if they were to see my medical chart they would think otherwise. I am 5'2" and 206 pounds I am fortunate to carry the weight well but obviously my body does body does not like it. I am choosing the surgery because of my health and not vanity I do not want to wait to become full blown diabetic or have to wear a cpap machine for the rest of my life. My husband and family stand behind me 100% and that is what matters I am sure through this journey I will gain and lose some friends but the true ones will still be at my side after I lose the weight and become healthy.
  9. christinaja
    christinaja
    I hear ya. My mom had Roux-en-Y gastric bypass a few years ago, and although it was definitely the right thing for her, she struggled with a lot of judgmental people making snide comments regarding her weight loss. It was very hard on her...and she was over 50 when her surgery was done. I have been really fortunate...everyone I have chosen to tell has been incredibly supportive and says, "If it will make you healthier, go for it." Most of them know about my lifelong weight struggles and other health issues. Overall, I am in okay health, but I have a bullseye on my forehead for heart disease and diabetes(thanks, various grandparents...) and have already dealt with some issues that were directly related to my weight. The way I see it is like this...if a person truly cares about YOU as an individual, the most important thing is that you are doing what is right for YOU, and what will make YOU healthier. The people that are so judgmental and negative just don't get it. They don't know what it is like to constantly diet, but not see significant weight loss. Or, they are insecure about themselves and are scared about what your success could mean for them. Either way, what they say is not important. Selective hearing works wonders!
  10. HeatherAmy75
    HeatherAmy75
    Wow, really well put christinaja! I haven't told many people yet because I don't know how people will react. Only my immediate family and a select few friends know. They are all supportive but a few of them have told me they didn't think I was "big enough" for surgery. They have no idea what I've gone through with losing and gaining and struggling all my life or that if I get this weight off chances are I'll say goodbye to sleeping with that horrible CPAP every night. As I get farther in this process I'll tell others. Right now I'm bracing for the ignorant people who tell me I'm taking the easy way out. Yea... it's just so easy. It's a complete life change. Not easy at all.
  11. Lissy
    Lissy
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has dealt with this. I haven't told a lot of people, just my close family. I just told others I was having surgery to correct digestion and heartburn problems. My dad has been obese his whole life and yoyo on diets all the time was really trying to talk me out of it. I just said isn't better that I get healthy at 32 then be unhappy till I'm 50? My mom was against it right up to as I'm walking out the door for surgery her saying you can cancel it still. I just told people I'm doing this for me and my daughter and I don't need your approval just your support. My mom had a boob job at my age and dealing with depression to make herself feel better and when I brought that up she became more supportive. I've been the fat kid since I was 10 and I wanted to play sports but my dad wouldn't let me because he thought I'd get hurt. So my genetics and lack of activity did me in. I don't want to be tired and fat anymore. I don't want to model that for my kid. My family also doesn't understand that I am morbidly obese so I finally told them what I weighed 222 & 5'1". I carry it all over so it doesn't look like I'm morbidly obese to outsiders but my frame is small, I can't carry a baby to term because my frame is petite. Then I get the your too young to do this. Well I'm too young to be a widow but I am and I don't want to orphan my child. I had to be really consistent and strong and not waiver and I had the surgery 11 days ago and I'm already 18 lbs lighter and have more energy then before the surgery so I'm excited and happy. I say do what you want with your own body and try not to listen to all the nay Sayers. If my daughter grows up with a weight problem despite my best efforts I will help her get surgery when she needs it if she wants. Some of us just got dealt this hand from god and even though its expensive and painful there is no need to struggle physically and emotionally. Good luck all!
  12. Babygm117
    Babygm117
    Well, I am sympathize with you on that one, Everyone keeps telling I shouldn't do this surgery because I can lose the weight on my own and that I am so beautiful the way I am but HELLO I want to be healthy! Trust me looking good is also a benefit from the surgery but the ultimate benefit is having a new lease on life!