Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

calling all nurses....

1. lexnurse
    lexnurse
    I am a pre sleeve ER nurse, am doing the 6 month required program by my insurance. My questions are about post surgery and returning to work. How well do you all do with getting in your fluids and protein while at work? I know I am on the run a lot at work, and sometimes it's hours before I am able to get food.... just worried. Don't want to set myself up for failure before i ever start.. lol
    any ideas, tips, advice are greatly appreciated!!!!

thanks!
  2. hirnsandy
    hirnsandy
    I'm a busy mom- baby RN. I do fine. If you can keep liquids on a desk/ nurses station and hit it occasionally, you will be fine. Since I have added solids, at about 4weeks out, I've eaten all my protein at meals, no liquid protein, and get in plenty. I found tuna packs to be easy to consume during brief breaks. I also keep jerky in my nursing bag for quick hits of protein. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are also easy and protein-filled. You will be a success! Good for you, taking control of your health and setting the example,
  3. hirnsandy
    hirnsandy
    I'm a busy mom- baby RN. I do fine. If you can keep liquids on a desk/ nurses station and hit it occasionally, you will be fine. Since I have added solids, at about 4weeks out, I've eaten all my protein at meals, no liquid protein, and get in plenty. I found tuna packs to be easy to consume during brief breaks. I also keep jerky in my nursing bag for quick hits of protein. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are also easy and protein-filled. You will be a success! Good for you, taking control of your health and setting the example!
  4. VegasRNmom
    VegasRNmom
    I drink my protein shake on my way to work so that I get it "out of the way".... I mix 1-2 scoops of whey protein, 1 cup light soy milk, half banana and a cup of frozen sliced strawberries. Then I concentrate on fluids while at work. For my meals or snacks really, I bought 3 oz containers and bring yogurt, cottage cheese, egg, chicken or tuna salad.... you'll find things that work for you. I also bought small jam spoons so that I don't take big bites and eat slower. You'll be full before you know it and the 3 oz container will still be half full!
  5. squinnrn
    squinnrn
    I hate protein drinks and have never been able to even drink slimfast...I'm post sleeve floor RN.
  6. wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50
    I try to get most of my protein in before work if I'm working night turn but if I'm on daylight, it's definitely harder.