Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Stalled

1. jesibee97
    jesibee97
    Hey Everyone.
    I had my surgery a year and a half ago. Lost about 50 lbs. I've been stalled now for approximately 9 months. I workout regularly and watch what I'm eating.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Thoughts appriecated.
  2. NanM
    NanM
    I am about 18 months out as well, lost with pre and post about 100 lbs., I hit a stall around 10-12 months out ... maintained and even gained about 5 pounds, so this past summer I hunkered down and really watched what I ate - calorie wise and emphasized protein, and walked 6-7 miles every day == it paid off, lost another 22 pounds, I still want to lose 30 more and I firmly believe it comes down to being vigilant and acknowledging that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, to lose you have to take in less.........I am not talking about starving, just being very careful.......at least this worked for me, everyone is different and their bodies respond differently. I also look at the 5 day pouch test and while I didn't follow it closely, I think the principles behind it have merit. Good luck! Try not to be too hard on yourself as you have maintained the 50 pounds!
  3. NanM
    NanM
    I am about 18 months out as well, lost with pre and post about 100 lbs., I hit a stall around 10-12 months out ... maintained and even gained about 5 pounds, so this past summer I hunkered down and really watched what I ate - calorie wise and emphasized protein, and walked 6-7 miles every day == it paid off, lost another 22 pounds, I still want to lose 30 more and I firmly believe it comes down to being vigilant and acknowledging that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, to lose you have to take in less.........I am not talking about starving, just being very careful.......at least this worked for me, everyone is different and their bodies respond differently. I also look at the 5 day pouch test and while I didn't follow it closely, I think the principles behind it have merit. Good luck! Try not to be too hard on yourself as you have maintained the 50 pounds!
  4. NanM
    NanM
  5. jesibee97
    jesibee97
    What's the 5 day pouch test?
  6. nycbiscuit
    nycbiscuit
    Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

I'm almost 15 months out. I lost 125 lbs in the first 6 months. Then things really started to slow. At first I'd stall, then drop 10, lose some more, and then then stalls lasted longer and longer. At 9 months I was down a total of 135. Since then, I've only lost 5 lbs., and then have yo-yoed with an additional 5 lbs. So basically no weight loss at all for the last 6 months. I have back and knee issues, so I'm not able to be as mobile as I'd like, let alone what I should be doing to lose weight.

Moreover, I'm just not feeling as restricted like I used to, so I'm able to eat so much more. Used to be I didn't even want all those carbs (I loved bread and crackers and cookies) because I didn't feel well physically after eating, even well after I was healed. Now it's all a mind game, just pure willpower that keeps me from sliding back.

I am hoping to turn my sleeve into the DS (I started out over 500, so I still have a long ways to go, and the sleeve alone won't get me there).

Anyway, I discussed this issue with my surgeon (it's a big research hospital) and he said it's the norm. The sleeve is a good tool for 6-9 months, and beyond that, it's pretty much all on you, like every other dieter. There are people who continue to lose, but they're the exception to the rule. I don't know how much excess weight you wanted to lose, but the average is 55-70% of your excess weight.
  7. mommyducky
    mommyducky
    Thanks for the link to the 5 day pouch test. I was sleeved in October 2011 and have reached my goal and managed to maintain it so far. My mother was sleeved about a year or two before me and has gained about 30lbs, maybe more, in the last year. I recommended this to her as she is always getting so down on herself for her weight gain. Plus we cannot share clothes anymore because I am so tiny now. I worry constantly that I will gain the weight back but so far I have been very lucky. I hope I can help my mom get back to her goal! She lost about 100lbs post sleeve. She says she will try this and we will see how it goes.