Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

New Band-to-Sleever! 5 days post-op and so happy!!

1. skinnyDip
    skinnyDip
    After 2 years of misery with the Lap Band, I finally decided enough was enough and had my band converted to a sleeve in one surgery this past Monday. When I got the band, I weighed 213 lbs. I got down to 170lbs with the band, but that was 99% because I had a wedding coming up and started working out every single day and eating next to nothing but things that were exceptionally high protein and fiber.

With the band, every day was a struggle. There were times when I couldn't even hold water down and had to have an emergency unfills. We tried every cc reasonably possible, and I either had absolutely no restriction or couldn't get a single bite of anything down without throwing up. All the while, my husband, sister in law, and father-in-law had the sleeve near the same time and were losing weight like crazy with absolutely no problems or hang ups. I was miserable and emotionally a wreak. While, I know you shouldn't ever compare yourself to others, the thing that made me break was when my sister-in-law, who started out nearly 100lbs heavier than me, get much thinner than me while I was working like crazy to lose weight, and she was doing absolutely nothing.

Anyway, that is all in the past now! The day before the conversion surgery, I weighed 194lbs. And, 5 days post-op I'm already down 7lbs! I'm so incredibly happy with my decision to have the conversion and wish I'd never gone with the band in the first place. It was the biggest waste of time and money. Plus, it wreaked havoc on my health. And in all honestly, I've felt so much better post-op after the sleeve than I did with the band. I'm so happy with my decision!!! My only worry now is a leak, as there is an increased risk of leaks with conversions. Please say a little prayer for me!

I can't wait to really start my journey with the sleeve and meet and support other people who are dealing with similar situations!!
  2. Leigh
    Leigh
    Congratulations on your decision. I had my revision to the sleeve last December and the weight has melted away. I've gone from a size 20-22 to a size 6-8. I never thought I'd be in single digit size clothes in my life time. I am very active; I run 3 miles most days and I play volleyball on Thursdays with a team we put together at work. I also have two sons, a step-daughter, and 10 grandkids that keep me pretty busy. I'll be 60 years old in February and I'm in the best shape of my life. My recent physical was outstanding. Total cholesterol 140, blood pressure 116/70, etc., etc., etc. You are going to love the sleeve.
    Keep up the good work. You'll be so skinny your friends and family will start telling you not to lose any more weight.

Good Luck!
    Leigh
  3. Leigh
    Leigh
    Congratulations on your decision. I had my revision to the sleeve last December and the weight has melted away. I've gone from a size 20-22 to a size 6-8. I never thought I'd be in single digit size clothes in my life time. I am very active; I run 3 miles most days and I play volleyball on Thursdays with a team we put together at work. I also have two sons, a step-daughter, and 10 grandkids that keep me pretty busy. I'll be 60 years old in February and I'm in the best shape of my life. My recent physical was outstanding. Total cholesterol 140, blood pressure 116/70, etc., etc., etc. You are going to love the sleeve.
    Keep up the good work. You'll be so skinny your friends and family will start telling you not to lose any more weight.

Good Luck!
    Leigh
  4. skinnyDip
    skinnyDip
    That's so good to hear, Leigh! I've been worried about weight loss because I've heard things about revision patients taking longer to get the weight off. I'm so happy for you, and it's incredible how drastically your health has increased!!! How long did it take you to lose the weight? I don't know what I'll do WHEN (because it must be when!) I get to single digit clothing. I've been overweight my entire life. Being thin is going to be completely foreign to me! I'm so excited!!

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was your post-op eating schedule? My doctor seems to be super super strict, and my Dr's schedule is COMPLETELY different from my husband's who had his sleeve done by another doctor. For instance, my post-op diet progressions is:

Phase One (Wks. 1 & 2)= Clear diet
    Phase Two (Wks. 3,4,5,6)= Full liquids
    Phase Three (Wks. 7, 8, 9)= Pureed Foods
    Phase Four (Wks. 10, 11, 12)= Soft, Mushy Foods
    Phase Five (Wks. 13 and onward)= Proceed to regular food
  5. skinnyDip
    skinnyDip
    That's so good to hear, Leigh! I've been worried about weight loss because I've heard things about revision patients taking longer to get the weight off. I'm so happy for you, and it's incredible how drastically your health has increased!!! How long did it take you to lose the weight? I don't know what I'll do WHEN (because it must be when!) I get to single digit clothing. I've been overweight my entire life. Being thin is going to be completely foreign to me! I'm so excited!!

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was your post-op eating schedule? My doctor seems to be super super strict, and my Dr's schedule is COMPLETELY different from my husband's who had his sleeve done by another doctor. For instance, my post-op diet progressions is:

Phase One (Wks. 1 & 2)= Clear diet
    Phase Two (Wks. 3,4,5,6)= Full liquids
    Phase Three (Wks. 7, 8, 9)= Pureed Foods
    Phase Four (Wks. 10, 11, 12)= Soft, Mushy Foods
    Phase Five (Wks. 13 and onward)= Proceed to regular food
  6. rinkrat333
    rinkrat333
    Best decision I have ever made - my revision from band to sleeve. I had mine this past June and am down 55lbs already. Best of all, have never felt "stuck" and I had that so much that I was afraid to eat with friends "Just in case". Now, I can eat anything, just make sure it is a bite or two - not the whole thing. The biggest difference has been the ability to actually eat protein (e.g. chicken) without worrying about it going down.

Best wishes to your success as well!
  7. rinkrat333
    rinkrat333
    Best decision I have ever made - my revision from band to sleeve. I had mine this past June and am down 55lbs already. Best of all, have never felt "stuck" and I had that so much that I was afraid to eat with friends "Just in case". Now, I can eat anything, just make sure it is a bite or two - not the whole thing. The biggest difference has been the ability to actually eat protein (e.g. chicken) without worrying about it going down.

8. rinkrat333
    rinkrat333

9. katharine
    katharine
    Good for you guys! My nutritionist had given me a diet plan like skinnyDips but my doc told me as long as I got the protein in I could eat what I liked..... Suggested I stay away from beef and salads and nuts til my stomache healed. Wish to heck that I would have not had a follow up appt in the first week!. I can eat everything without difficulty. Had I done the 10 week diet including baby food I know I would have lost weight.... So wish me luck!