Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Are you losing weight?

1. Cody
    Cody
    Have you found that since your partner is eating less that you are too? I have been losing weight for the last couple of months because I have been making an effort to do so (I am currently about 50 pounds overweight, and that is after losing 28 pounds). I will carry on with my own healthy eating, working out and weight loss that I started but am wondering if others have just naturally lost weight from their lives no longer centering around food? I am thinking when my partner does the pre-op liquid diet, I may do it right alongside her for both support and my own weight loss.
  2. Cody
    Cody
    I figure I'll just keep posting here and eventually someone else will show up so I'm not always talking to myself. LOL I currently am doing the Dukan Diet...I need to take off a few pounds and anything I can do to help me will ultimately help my partner. I'm currently in the attack mode which means 5-7 days of nothing but lean protein and A LOT of water.
  3. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Hey look, I found the group you started! lol Great idea, hopefully more will see it. So I should have read more before starting my reply....so you husband has already "had" the surgery or waiting to have? Mine had his last Friday and probably like most had health issues before going in. Long story short, has complications from a prior emergency surgery back in 2007, so this was a hope to get him put back to a better quality of life. Surgery went fine, but again he is having trouble with his blood pressure and now heart is in Afib (trying to learn more about that too). He's still in ICU, but closer to getting it all regulated. I had hoped to follow the liquid diet with him pre-op :/ but now planning to change everything once he gets home.

Debbie
  4. Cody
    Cody
    Wow! Well hoping this is the surgery that once past the complications will provide him a healthier life. My partner is actually relatively healthy, but high blood pressure medication was enough to say "time to do something". So we are starting out hoping this will prevent future health problems. Not sleeves yet, it's looking like December (will set surgery date on Thursday). Welcome & I'm so glad you found the group. I will be sending positive healing energy & prayers for your husband.
  5. Cody
    Cody
    Just found out...Surgery date is December12th.
  6. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Thank you so much for your prayers! They did move him out of ICU today so now we need to start getting him out of bed. He's sat on the side briefly, still having breathing issues and now pain management. They had him on an epidural and turned it off today, but again that is because of the large hernia repair. His respiratory technician actually had the sleeve procedure over a year ago and has kept off 75 pounds. She said her daughter and son both had it too. Daughter went from size 24 to an 8.

Glad to hear the date is set. And congratulations on your weight loss! I need to lose 100 pounds myself, but have not been able to start the healthy eating yet. Will no longer be able to put it off when he gets home.
  7. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Thank you so much for your prayers! They did move him out of ICU today so now we need to start getting him out of bed. He's sat on the side briefly, still having breathing issues and now pain management. They had him on an epidural and turned it off today, but again that is because of the large hernia repair. His respiratory technician actually had the sleeve procedure over a year ago and has kept off 75 pounds. She said her daughter and son both had it too. Daughter went from size 24 to an 8.

Glad to hear the date is set. And congratulations on your weight loss! I need to lose 100 pounds myself, but have not been able to start the healthy eating yet. Will no longer be able to put it off when he gets home.
  8. Cody
    Cody
    Glad to hear that he is taking steps in the right direction. His body has been through a lot, but I'm sure he will get there in time. Yes, when he gets home you both will have to eat differently. Did you say you we're going to try the liquid diet with him? I was thinking about doing that too. I'm glad the date is set but now it's more real & I'm a little nervous but will stay positive.
  9. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    They are saying now they are going to try and release him tomorrow. He was only able to stand beside the bed yesterday for about a minute, so unless he is much stronger today, I don't see how.

I'd like to say I will follow the same diet with him, just not sure if I'm strong enough without getting hungry. I am definitely planning to eat better. I don't want to do anything to make it harder for him.
  10. Cody
    Cody
    I am here to support you as you support him. I understand how hard it is to lose weight and to eat healthy all the time. I've currently given up carbs and sugars, I eat only lean protein, and as of tomorrow I will get to add vegetables every other day. I'm pretty excited about that. I have noticed more change with eating this way than any thing else I've ever tried. The fat around my abdomen is going away, I'm not losing a ton of weight but I am definitely losing inches. We can help them by helping ourselves. That way we can be healthy, happy and active together. Glad to hear he is standing on his own, hoping they don't push him to go home too soon if he is still so weak but am glad he has you there to help him.
  11. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Thank you for your support. I hope I can do the same for you. He was able to come home today. He did better than either one of us thought about getting in and out of the car, etc. He will probably rest in bed the rest of the day. Trying to figure a way for him to feed himself (lying flat). We don't have a headboard and a window behind the bed makes it difficult. I read they shouldn't use a straw because of the air pockets it can cause, which does seem to happen, but that makes it more difficult to drink too.
  12. Cody
    Cody
    I'm hoping that being at home will help him heal. As for eating, that is a bit of a predicament??? No thoughts, but heard that about straws too. How long does he have to be flat?
  13. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Well, he had a bit of a set back. Between taking aspirin and somehow (we think) pulling one of the drains, he started bleeding too much and not drinking enough protein. He got dizzy, weak and had to call an ambulance to take him in. That was Sunday and got back home yesterday. He was doiung great when we left the hospital, but he just doesn't drink enough protein. I've got to quit the RTD shakes and get powder to put in everything. I heard of an egg nog drink and will try and find that recipe.
  14. Cody
    Cody
    Have you heard of protein shots...you can usually get them at places like GNC and Vitamin Shoppe. They are usually only 2 oz but have like 40 g of protein. Just a thought. Sorry for the set back but glad you are home now.
  15. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Thank you, I did just read about those protein shots yesterday and got a couple at Walmart. Hoping he likes them as that would be a lifesaver.

How is your eating plan going? I wish I could say mine is going well, but hoping once I have him organized with this I can do better. I just feel guilty eating in front of him, so I sneak junk in my office while online.
  16. Cody
    Cody
    I hear you...having a rough go of my diet plan at the moment. Work has been crazy, stressful...between the power outages from Hurricane Sandy and just a lot going on. Not going to beat myself up, just going to pull myself up by the bootstraps and get back to it. And I know it is tough to eat in front of them, but I know I am going to have to.
  17. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    So did you personally have damage from any of the storms? I hope not. The news is terrible with all the stories on the power outages and all.
  18. Cody
    Cody
    No real damage, thanks for asking. Just a few shingles that must be replaced. Overall, we were very lucky! Continued prayers for those in New York & NJ who are still effected. It is going to be a hard Thanksgiving and Christmas for all those folks. As for me, I fell of the "diet wagon" so hard over the past four days...I ate so many things that I shouldn't have and managed to have my scale go up 10 pounds over the past four days. Not sure what's going on or why I'm having such a tough time? The closer we get to the surgery date, the harder a time I seem to be having. It's weird. I think a tiny piece of me may actually be jealous...and I HATE that. Time to figure out my emotions and get everything out before the date.
  19. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    I know what you mean about being out of control eating. Are you doing anything about getting your sleeve scheduled, or are you for sure doing it? I've though about starting the wheels on mine because it will take months to do and if I decide not to I can always back out. I saw where there is a lady on here 70 years old that is having it done. I haven't even gotten on the scales in weeks, but I can tell by my clothes it's not good.

I wish I could say my husband is doing better, but still struggling. He's having a Pity Party big time because he can't have any "real food". (Sorry, I know that sounds harsh). I had a friend of ours come by last night that had the sleeve done about 4 years ago for a pep talk and he started off in a better mood today, but once he had his protein shake, then it was right back to a poor me attitude. I'm having our nurse dil come by tonight. I checked his BP and heart rate. Rate was 136 and I've read online can be due to dehydration. He's wearing me out!!
  20. Cody
    Cody
    Hey Debbie! What you are saying, I have heard from others on the board. You aren't being harsh, I'm sure it's hard to deal with. I personally will probably never be sleeved (I don't meet the criteria and I won't gain weight to meet it...I've heard of people doing that.) My partner is to be sleeved on 12/12/12...cool date. And I will get to see first had...still hoping all will go smooth and there won't be any pity parties. I've heard the morning over not being able to eat is very difficult and many people go through it and wonder what the hell they just did to themselves. The good news is it seems to get better when the weight loss starts and they start feeling better. Hoping he is not becoming dehydrated, that will mean being put back in the hospital which wouldn't be good for either one of you.

As for your own sleeve...go for it and start the process. You are correct that you can always back up but the process takes a while, so you might as well get the ball rolling.
  21. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Thanks Cody, my husband had his first 2 follow ups this week. The surgeon wasn't very concerned of his lack of eating and drinking, but said now he needs to concentrate on getting some caloric meals in. He said since he could not stomach anymore protein drinks to try smoothies and even a milk shake. He said the sugar content is not a concern for sleeve patients. He said, of course, he would only be able to drink small amounts. I was encouraged and Ray was excited, but he doesn't even think about eating anything "other than" the smoothie. He still feels very blah and just sits in his recliner. I don't know, I'm thinking he may need to take something for depression if this continues.

I did make the call to my insurance today to get some info. I am going to try and go to a seminar this Saturday. That's great that you are not heavy enough for the surgery. I really wish I wasn't, but I fit. I heard of people gaining weigh to be eligible too. Never understood that.
  22. Cody
    Cody
    Glad the doctor isn't concerned about his intake. I bet he is glad to be able to "eat" something different like smoothies. As for the depression, it's possible but hopefully as soon as he starts feeling a little better he'll start moving.

Hoping you made the seminar and that the insurance company will work with you. As for me, still off the wagon but not going crazy. Maybe I just needed a break. I know I will get back on it, I have pretty strong resolve. Just have to get myself back into the right mindset. Work is getting a little easier so that will help my stress.
  23. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    My husband is doing a LOT better, friend came over from church last Friday and pretty much talked about everything "except" the surgery. I think he surprised himself by how much he laughed and joked around. Sounded like his old self. Went to church last Sunday for the first time since the surgery and he has started eating regular food, still finely pulsed and a milkshake everyday, (small amounts). He has really turned a corner and getting stronger. Just hoping he can get the 1 drain in his stomach removed tomorrow, doubtful though because I'm still draining a fair amount of blood each day. So very thankful for his progress!

I went to the seminar and currently scheduled for the 29th for the consult with the dr, nutritionist and tests. I went back to work Monday and have actually been doing ok diet wise. I'm drinking and eating the stuff I bought for him that he won't eat now...shakes, cottage cheese, yogurt. I eat whatever in the evenings. He wanted real food last night from Church's chicken. I took off the skin and processed to a pulp. I of course ate regular food and wouldn't you know they gave me extra by mistake. GRRR When will I learn that it is not wasting it to throw it in the trash instead of my stomach!!!

Hope you are doing well. Are you hosting Thanksgiving?
  24. Cody
    Cody
    So glad to hear that he has turned a corner (I've read on hear that this happens often in the beginning). Thankful that he is healing and feeling better. Not talking about the surgery was probably the best thing for him. Continued prayers that they can remove the drain so that he can heal completely.

Glad that you wen to the seminary and have a consult date. That is excellent! And agreed with you...why is it so hard for us to throw things away? I can be the same way, probably the way I was raised. I was raised in a family of 6 and there was NEVER food left over, maybe that's why. I've decided to rebuild that wagon that I fell off of and crushed, and instead of climbing back on, maybe I'll pull it for exercise. Back to eating the way I should be, looking forward to dropping the 5 pounds that I regained. It's SO tough! Especially since we are in the "gotta eat the stuff I won't be able to enjoy for a long time" mode. Got sucked in for a while but am separating myself so that I don't gain more weight. Hard enough around the Holidays without the added pressure.

As for Thanksgiving...not hosting. My Mom & Dad will be, I just have to make pumpkin rolls and pumpkin pie for the occasion. Oy! The sweet smells in the house while baking, will just have to be strong. Are you hosting Thanksgiving?
  25. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Boy do I play that tape "gotta eat the stuff I wouldn't be able to enjoy". I've played it every time I get ready to start another diet or attempt at losing weight.

Went back to the plastic surgeon today and still didn't pull the drain. He did say if it came out on it's own not to panic and just figure God said it was ready. Since I'm still getting out at least 50cc's a day and he wanted it down to under 30cc's, we will try our best to not pull it out.

The staff from the Seminar I went to last Saturday called and said my insurance requires a prior 6 month diet. I really thought my Dr would be able to sign off on that because I go every 3 months for blood work. We do discuss my weight and he has assisted me with a variety of ways to try and help me lose weight. The ins though wants documented visits of at least 1 time a month from the last 6 months. So when I start the orientation on the 29th to meet with everyone, I will start my time. She said the insurance said it's ok to lose or stay the same weight for the 6 months, but they don't want to see a gain. I'm guessing they think if I can't follow this diet I wouldn't be able to follow a diet after the surgery. Oh well, maybe I will lose some weight. At least Ray should be completely recovered by then and ready to take care of "me".

I will certainly miss not being at my parents for Thanksgiving. I can never come close to duplicating their food. But my sister and them are in MO. Will miss not being with them. I will be hosting for our 2 son's and their families and my in-laws. We are having it Wednesday evening to allow our daughter in laws to go to their parents on Thursday and me to rest before going back to work on Friday.
  26. Cody
    Cody
    I finally thought to myself "why am I eating these thing I won't be able to enjoy, when I will". Just may have to do it with family and friends out of sight for a little while. As for the six month diet, hoping the time will go by quickly for you. I'm sure you will lose weight because you are motivated to have the surgery. I'm hoping I will lose weight as I join along in the liquid diet. Maybe a jump start of my own.

Thanksgiving...I'm looking forward to spending time with family. And I don't mind baking, plan on doing it tomorrow since it is my last day off between now and Thanksgiving. Have to work the day after too, I work retail. Fun, fun, fun!
  27. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Hope your Thanksgiving went well. I'm still eating leftovers. I don't eat much the day of (since I was hosting) but more afterward.

My husband is still have a rough time with his drain. Too much blood coming out. We ended up going today, because the surgical line, since his was open, is not closing very quickly. The Dr talked about going back in to clean out or just waiting it out longer. We are waiting. He has no desire to get opened back up again. Just a pain to clean around.
  28. Cody
    Cody
    Had a lovely Thanksgiving (ate too much, mostly because we wouldn't have leftovers. LOL) It was a nice holiday and enjoyed seeing all my family. This Thursday we head to the nutritionist, it is time for the liquid diet to begin. The countdown to 12/12/12 is in overdrive. I'm praying that all goes well, I'm looking forward to the break from eating and especially eating out. I will never lose weight myself at this rate...although yesterday I pulled the brakes on and ate much less. Can't blame others for my own bad choices.

Sorry to hear about your husband, I've continued praying for his healing. Sometimes you wonder what lessons God is trying to teach us when things happen? I'm hoping it will heal on their own and that they won't have to go back in, can't blame him for not wanting that.
  29. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Well I had my much awaited consult with the doctor, dietitian, etc today. Dr and staff were great, but found out my insurance only allows the sleeve surgery if my BMI is over 50. Mine is 41, so they will only cover the Bypass surgery (or the lapband, which won't happen). The doctor said maybe next year they will change their requirements. My doctor said I was a good candidate for the bypass too, but would rather do what I'm more comfortable with. Pretty bummed about it. This totally caught me off guard.

2 weeks away! I know it's only day 1 of the pre-op, but how's it going so far?
  30. Cody
    Cody
    I'm sorry, that is disappointing. I understand not wanting to go with the bypass...but hopefully they will change the requirements. Until then, I'll be here to support you on your journey. I have started Chris Powell's carbo-cycling diet...he works with people on the Extreme Makeover:Weight loss. I was reading his stuff and I can see where that would help take weight off. My goal is to lose 55 pounds. I am giving myself one year, allowing for just over a pound a week. I am still reading the book but I'm going to start this Monday (have to read far enough to be able to competently do it and have to go grocery shopping on Sunday to have the right foods in the house.)
    We are two weeks out...yesterday we were at the hospital all day for pre-admission testing and nutritional and operation education. I will be glad when the actual surgery is over and we can begin the healing process. I have a strong feeling that everything is going to go well, I trust that my prayers will be answered. Part of getting ready for me is to get rid of stuff in the house that doesn't need to be there...I'm preparing (and the bonus is that will help me too. )
  31. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Thank you for your support, I am here for you as well. Preparation is key! Planning ahead is second, well actually I guess that is the same thing. I am praying everything will go well.

My husbands drain came out last night. I could tell it was barely hanging on when we went to bed, but he didn't want me pulling out. I'm glad it fell out so we don't have to be so careful around it anymore. He is still bleeding in the middle and not sure how to get that to heal. Well it's more seeping than bleeding. But as long as it has to stay covered, I don't see it scabbing up and healing. I will call the doc tomorrow and see if they want us back in. He feels sure they will have to go back in, suck all of the old blood out and re-close. I'm thinking he may be right. We can see the pooch on the side of his stomach where it is collected. It's a simple surgery, just one we wanted to avoid.
  32. Cody
    Cody
    Continued prayers for your husband. Did you speak with doctor? Wow! He really has had a time of it with that darn drain. Hoping he will not have to have another surgery...fearing he will. These are the kinds of things that make me nervous.

And yes, I'm planning ahead and getting myself totally ready. I've started but am not doing it 100%. I will give it 150% once I am done doing the liquid diet...want to be supportive. As soon as the two weeks of liquids are up, then I will hit carb-cycling with everything I've got. Am also going to do the exercising that he recommends (which begins with the most 40 minutes a day.) I tried some of it yesterday and it felt pretty good. I also went out jogging last night...made it 1.5 miles before getting a side stitch and walking. After that I did Chris Powell's shredders...walk 3 minutes, jog for 2 minutes and run as fast as you can for 1 minute. Did that three times before making it home. Ended up doing 3.1 miles and felt pretty good ...didn't even beat myself up about the ice cream sundae I had for dinner. Another "last supper". LOL
  33. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    I know only too well about those "last suppers"..lol I've pretty much given into the idea that December is not the month to get too serious about food. Especially since I have 5 months next year to work on it. I'm not giving up, just not giving it my full weight loss effort.

Ray ended up having surgery last Friday. His incision opened and made a large cavity in his stomach. He at least was able to come home the same day. He still has a drain, but hopefully this will be the last. Just so you know, these problems are due to his large hernia, the only issues with the sleeve has been nausea, and it still is a problem. He barely ate 2 bites of scrambled eggs this morning and a few sips of chicken noodle broth tonight. I wouldn't have thought he would still be this nauseated.

Good for you for going jogging!
  34. Cody
    Cody
    She had her surgery yesterday and everything went perfect. Doing excellent today...we've been walking several times. Yesterday was a very emotional day for me, it hit me in a way I didn't expect & is still here today. Partly because I am exhausted, will be glad when she is home so that I can sleep too. Sitting in hospital right now
  35. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    So glad to hear everything went well!! Still going that way I hope. Are y'all home now? How are "you" holding up?
  36. Cody
    Cody
    We are home, got home at 9:45pm on Friday. I'm hanging in there, a wee bit tired. I've learned my jobs well and have a routine going. She did develop and really bad rash and we aren't sure why. Could be antibiotics given before surgery, reaction to binder, allergic reaction to a medication. Needless to say we are putting Benadryl cream on it and she stopped taking the pain meds last night. Having a rougher day, she is very tired but still doing very well for someone who had surgery.
  37. Cody
    Cody
    So, we are 5 weeks out from surgery...today. I have to say that I KNOW her life has changed dramatically but mine has changed too. No longer is our life centered around food, making it easier for me to lose some weight. Also, we don't eat out as much which means I have a better handle on my calorie intake. We can also share meals, which will save us both money and save me a lot of calories. We are going on vacation a week from Friday and I'm interested to see how that changes. Last year our entire week was planned around meals, that will be much different this year.
  38. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Wow!! Vacation? What a Blessing that she is doing so well!! So good to hear! Also all of the changes towards food. That's the way it "should; be. Food should not be the center of our lives. I know "exactly" what you mean about vacations being centered around our trip. When we made a trip back home, we always talked about which favorite restaurants we had to get too. That's how we would see our friends. It's so encouraging to hear how well you both are doing.

Good news in our house too!! "It seems" the Prozac was not a good remedy this time. I guess with time and surgeries, hormones change and Prozac was not a good thing. His speech had become so slurred, slow and had mind fogginess. As of Thursday have stopped the BP and Prozac and can already see remarkable improvement. We saw an ENT and an Endocrinologist this past week. The latter said to stop the BP, felt even though the BP was borderline high it dropped it so low, that it was causing the very close fainting spells when he stood. She must have been right because he still gets a little light headed but not slumping towards passing out. He's even ready to move past the shakes into real food, had about 1/3 of a small cheeseburger yesterday and I can finally start looking at the progression onto soft foods to start introducing him back to normal life. It's all taken a toll on his body and he is VERY weak. Still needs help walking and getting up from a low position, but it's so wonderful to have a talking husband again!! He's got his sense of humor back! What a difference a couple weeks can make!! And of course all of your prayers!! Thank you for providing a listening ear and look forward to writing more positive things!!
  39. Cody
    Cody
    Woohoo!!! So glad to hear that things are improving, and that you are getting your husband back. I'm sure he was so excited to eat that cheeseburger...and that you were glad to see it. With eating will definitely come strength, I can only imagine how week he is after not eating and all the trauma his body was put through. No more fainting, now that is a blessing! But an even bigger blessing, the return of his sense of humor. Now, after all he's been through, that is awesome!!!

She went for her six week check up today...cleared to begin to try and eat anything she wants to. Healed and ready to go. Still a few rules but not many restrictions on food or movement at this point. Looking forward to some walks on the beach and some swimming.

God bless you both and I'm still praying!
  40. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    I am soooo glad to see she is doing so well!! That is so encouraging to me! Enjoy your vacation!!

Thank you so much for your continued prayers. I wish I could continue on with more good news. He has gotten better in so many way and worse in others. He has a great appetite and eating/drinking well. But the protein shakes that we are giving him are going straight through him. At the worse times, (away from home). Thankfully both times have been as we were walking in to our PCP appt. We've been going there over 20 years and they are like family. But the clean up is exhausting for me. He's lost so much muscle and is so weak I always have to help him up, so my back has taken a major toll. The thyroid dr called back and said he is Vit D deficient and feels he is very malnourished. He just started eating regular food and is doing well with it but doesn't get enough protein that way. We are going to try a half shake maybe twice a day. She also said to eat a banana a day, peaches and Vit D 5k units with as much other food as he can.

He fell coming in from the garage because it has 1 big step and had to call our son to come over to get him up. I couldn't even do that. I've had to miss so much work, again today because he didn't sleep well last night because his legs were hurting and so I then didn't sleep well either. He had a heart monitor put on yesterday and we go back today to switch it for a blood pressure monitor that will check his blood pressure every 15 min. He's still very dizzy every time he stands up. He's already worried he won't sleep tonight. I pray he does so I can go to work tomorrow.
  41. Cody
    Cody
    I'm so sorry to hear all this...I have been away as I went on vacation on Friday, January 25th and was supposed to return on February 3rd. However, my father was in the hospital with massive pulmonary emboli so I returned home on January 28th and have been at the hospital most days in between. It was odd to see my Dad so weak and frail, for the first time, I realized that he is aging. I returned to work today but will run to hospital after work so that I can visit with him and bring my mom home.

You are really going through it and I can imagine the toll it is taking on you physically, emotionally and mentally. That is a lot of work on you...you must be exhausted. I hate that he is dizzy all the time, very dangerous but glad they are fitting him with a blood pressure monitor so that they can gather some data and see what is going on. I will continue to keep you both in my prayers, I know you will keep on going...there just isn't any other choice. But hoping that you both get a break some time soon.
  42. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    So sorry to hear about your father. I hope he is doing better now. So scary. My parents are both in their 80's and they have seen so many of their friends pass already, another very close friend just within this past week. I am so blessed they are in good health. but definitely have signs of aging. They remain active and just barely overweight by today's standards. I think I have been in denial that they will live forever. It's so sad to think of the alternative.

I am happy to say Ray is doing much better. He still has a "little" dizziness and just met with the Cardiologist yesterday to review the BP and heart monitor. He said nothing alarming, but they did both elevate slightly at times. His BP was high at the visit, 159/115 and he was not too pleased that other dr's pulled him off his heart and bp medicine. We have been to so many dr's that I couldn't even remember who said to stop the heart medicine. I know the Thyroid dr told him to stop the bp because it was so low at her office. Cardio dr put him on a different bp and meet with him again in 6 weeks. We go back to the sleeve surgeon today and i know he will be thrilled with his progress since the nausea has gone. He's getting stronger, but legs still ache. I could go on and on, but bottom line is overall he is doing much better. He's lost 111 pounds.
  43. Cody
    Cody
    So glad to hear Ray is doing so much better. Thank God for answered prayers. He answered our prayers, my Dad is home and doing very well. Learned how close our family really is and how well we come together when we need to.

Wow! I can't believe he's lost 111 pounds. That is simply incredible!
  44. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    So glad your dad is doing better! Yes, thank God for answered prayers! Hope he will continue to do so.

Yes, he's lost 114 now, but very weak, only gets about 10-15 g of protein. He's fallen twice now, both when trying to step up about a half step into a house. Thankfully last night, it was into my son's house. Trying hard not to be bitter at him not trying harder. He's says he's not hungry and gets full after one bite, but I told him we always use to eat when we were not hungry and now he is eating to live, not living to eat.
  45. Cody
    Cody
    Well...my Dad ended up back in the hospital for an additional 8 days because he needed surgery (which is why I have been absent again) but is finally home again. Should be home for at least two weeks and then he will have to go in for surgery (skin grafts to cover prior surgery.) The whole thing is a very long story but well suffice to say that an issue he was sent home with should not have been ignored.

I understand your frustration with your husband and you wouldn't be human if you didn't feel it. He is going to have to push himself if he is going to get any stronger. I'm sorry that you are facing all this...sometimes people forget how incredibly hard it can be for the caregiver. I was there to support my Mom through this whole thing because I know how hard it can be. But don't forget to take care of yourself, it is important. You can only help him by not compromising yourself.

Our new development is that after Pam eats, she becomes nauseated by the smell of food. If we are in a restaurant with strong smells, we have to get out quickly or the dishes have to be done right away to get rid of smells. She said the smell of pouring hot water over my chamomile tea bag mixed with the smell of the stevia was making her sick last night (I'll admit that I rolled my eyes a little at that one.) But she was perhaps a little over full last night which is why I think she had the small sensitivity. It seems to be much worse when her stomach is fuller.

As always, I keep you and Ray in my prayers.
  46. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Thank you again for your prayers!! So sorry to hear about your dad and hope he is doing well now.

Boy do I know about the smelling of food nausea thing! Ray had that for sooooo long. How is she doing now with it? How is her eating overall, getting enough protein?

Ray is actually doing better, Thank God!! He is still very weak and the latest blood work turned out good except for the protein levels. The nurse called Ray Friday and said those levels were pretty much non existent. I really feel that is the reason for his constant leg pain. He's lost so much muscle it can't be good. She told him to start drinking a protein shake a day, but to use Almond or Soy milk with powdered protein rather than the ready made kind. So far he really likes that. I'm only using 1 scoop, but that's 25g of protein (compared to none, great improvement!). He can actually drink about 8 oz at one time. I only pour 6 oz of milk. but after the scoop turns into more. He's also been drinking about 6 oz of chicken noodle broth 2-3 times a day. So as you can see very encouraged. Just still too weak to stay home alone, so his parents come over when I go to work. But we are getting there.

Lifting up prayers for you all as well.
  47. Cody
    Cody
    Glad to hear that he is getting some protein in...that's a tough one for someone doing well. Pam is having a tough time keeping her protein levels up to where she wants them to be. She is usually getting about 60g but they would like it higher. The other thing is she is having a hard time with her fluid intake. That is in part because she can't drink 15 minutes before eating and and hour after. That cuts out a lot of time she can drink during the day. And the biggest development is she is suffering from extreme hair loss. This one is killing her...no baldness, just very thin.

Glad that you guys are finding some new normalcy. You have both been through so much that I'm hoping this is the light at the end of your tunnel. Glad to hear that his latest blood work turned out good (since all of this was about helping his health.) Praying that he continues to get stronger and stronger, and that God will give you everything you need to keep going.
  48. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Wow, can't believe it's been so long since I've checked in! It's been so crazy busy at work, too exhausted to even think when I get home. So how are you all doing? Hoping the hair loss has stopped. I would hate that too, as I've always had such think hair. How's your dad?

Ray is continuing to do better, just still has the leg pain. We are going to need to get him new braces because he needs to get independent again. That's pretty much what is holding him back. He just drinks 1 protein shake a day and the rest normal foods. I doubt he's getting 60g in, but for now, he likes the variety.

I went back to WW this past Sunday to give it "one last try"! The thought of the surgery cost has really been "weighing" me down. But it's so hard, food is such a crutch. It's my comforter when days are bad at work. Supposed to talk with a counselor tomorrow when I meet with the NUT, so we'll see.
  49. Cody
    Cody
    Sorry, I haven't been on my computer much lately...between working way too many hours and then there was a death in our family...life is just crazy. Glad to report that my Dad's skin graft surgery went beautifully and he is finally free of any machinery or bandages. He is almost fully healed, soon he will begin occupational therapy to get his movement back.

How is Ray doing? Hope the leg pain is gone and the he is much more independent? How are YOU doing, Debbie?