Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

My Gastric Sleeve Adventure with Dr. Quinones

1. jammy
    jammy
    Hi all,

It took me awhile to get this down as I had to come back from surgery and jump right back into school and family. I did notice that Dr. Quinones has gotten alot of questions and static from other forum members. I respect their opinions, but would like to tell of my experience with this particular doctor and hope it helps in newcomers research of finding a doctor. So here goes...

I arrived from Atlanta, Georgia to San Diego on Friday October the 5th. My mother came with me. Our driver, Ernie ( who is an absolute riot by the way) called and had left me a message on my phone even before I got off the plane. He met us outside within minutes of getting there. We also picked up fellow sleever zmdh39, and LivingLifeJohnson and her cousin. Then we were on our way to TJ!
    I can't recall, but I think it took about 30-45 minutes to get to the Santa Fe clinic. Once there, Henry and staff greeted us and ushered us to our rooms. My mom and I had our own room, it was nice and clean as can be seen in Phoenixrise's photos I believe. Anyway, we arrived a little behind schedule and by this time I believe it was noon or so. It was kind of a blur and it has been a little over a week since my surgery. Anyway, we were told to change into our gowns and Henry introduced my mother and I to our nurses on staff that day. They were Sylvia, Aldo, and another nurse whose name I believe was Anna. Aldo spoke a little English and the other two not so much Henry said they were going to draw our blood. Our results were to be ready in about an hour then we were going to have surgery. Henry told me that Sylvia was really good with drawing blood and we wouldn't feel a thing. I wouldn't say he was lying, because I think I have a low tolerance for needle sticks. Sylvia tried to insert the IV in my left wrist and was digging around. It hurt like hell! She ended up blowing that vein, so tried again on the top of my left hand. Along with more digging around and pain, she finally got the IV in.

We were introduced to Dr. Quinones and the Anesthesiologist, (whom my mother instantly became infatuated with). Thought that was really cute, as he was very handsome and pleasant. While they were in there we got to ask questions. I asked Dr. Quinones about taking Tumeric (a spice) after the surgery to promote healing. I was pleasantly surprised to see that he and Henry knew what I was referring to. After we asked all our questions he said he would see us in just a bit. Because it was late, Henry said that one of us may have to have the surgery the next day. This didn't happen to be the case. My mom and I were in our room from 1ish to about 630pm with no word from anyone. My IV ended up coming out even though they taped it down. I walked into the hallway and spoke with Aldo, He ended up putting a new IV into my right hand. We waited patiently, but did wonder why it was taking so long, since Henry had mentioned that they like to have all procedures completed by 5pm.

But, my wait came to an end. I went into the OR at 630 and was asked to hope onto the hospital bed. I wish I could remember the Anesthesiologist's name, but for the life of me, I cannot. He asked me if I smoke and if so when was the last time I did. He injected the anesthesia into my IV site and put the oxygen mask on my face. I remember a woman cam in as well. I think she was a doctor also, but mostly, I remember how beautiful she looked. Then I was OUT!

I woke up in my bed and was in so much pain. I remember feeling extremely nauseated and proceeded to through up in trash can. A new nurse came in and gave me some nausea medication in my IV. Her name was Ester, remember her name if you decide to go to Dr. Quinones. She is a godsend! The pain was all over my midsection and just under my sternum. I remember feeling like I had just made the most horrible mistake of my life. I was miserable! I was in pain an nauseated throughout the night. My first bout of nausea had me wretching up brown blood. This is normal, and I did know this already so I didn't worry about that. I just wanted the pain to go away. As you may already know, Dr. Quinones does not give narcotics, the pain meds the first night did not really help. I only found comfort from the nausea medicine which I could only have every 4hrs I think. I remember thinking that it was the LONGEST night of my life ever. I remember that I was also very, very hot. I think I ran a slight fever that first night because Ester gave me some kept checking my temp and gave me a fever reducer. I did not have a fan in my room, but she did bring me one and that helped.

The next morning I felt a little better. Still a little nauseated though. The IV was disconnected so I could take a shower. Although my legs felt like complete Jello, I walked to the shower and sat in the shower chair and just let the hot water do it's magic. It felt wonderful and helped me feel tons better. After the shower I went to visit my fellow sleevers to see how they were doing. We all seemed to be fairing well. When I came back to my room, I was hooked up to the IV for fluids and antibiotics again, and promptly felt nauseated and threw up again. Time for the nausea medication! It subsided. I napped on and off. I was dying of thirst and hunger at this time. Dr. Quinones came to visit and check on us to see how we were doing as well as checking our incisions. I was still not able to have anything to drink because they wanted us to wait for 24hrs after the surgery. Finally, I was able to get a cup of ice chips. You'd have thought I had won the lottery, I was so excited. At first I just licked the ice and tried to let it warm up in my mouth before swallowing. It hurt. My ice sat on my bedside table until it became water the next morning. I was not able to finish it and only took very, very small sips...

My phone did not work in TJ, but the staff let me use the office phone and I was able to talk to my husband briefly Saturday night. I was still not feeling well, so just told him all was ok and I loved him. I think I did maybe two trips in the hallway to get some walking in and I tried to burp alot. It helped ease the gas discomfort.

Remember Ester? I believe she came in Friday night, but I know she stayed with all of us until we left Sunday around noon. She does not speak English but understands when you tell her you are in pain or nauseated or need anything. She is truly an amazing nurse. I cannot say enough good things about her. She slept on a Futon in by the nurses' station and jumped up every time one of us buzzed or called for her. My room was right in front of the nurses' station and I left my door open most the time to let air into the room, so I saw her every time someone buzzed.

There was a younger Dr., and and older Dr. there Saturday. Saturday night the elder Dr. had Ester give all of us a little white pill. I wish I knew what it was, but it totally helped. I slept through the night and woke up a different person. Almost no pain, and no nausea. Yay! Walked a little more Sunday morning, got to go weigh myself when I asked if they had a scale. BTW, I think Ester told me the spanish word for scale is bascula? I got to drink some of the best tasting apple juice and more ice chips...all small sips. Then we had to drink purple water about the consistency of jello when it's still in it's liquid state. No flavor though. This was our leak test. Dr. Quinones came to ck on us, took out our drains and emailed us our gastric diets. Then we were ready to go. I tipped Ester for her wonderful care.

Henry picked us up and took us to the pharmacia to get our meds. It was antacids and sublingual pain pills (which I didn't really find to help that much as I have most of my meds still). He took us to our hotel, which was really quite nice, and said Ernie would be back in the morning to get us. I had chicken broth in the restaurant which tasted really good. I went back up to the room and rested for a bit. Later I went to visit my fellow sleevers for a bit. I walked around TJ a little that evening, and it's quite a beautiful city. I was a little scared at first, but no one bothered me. I saw a convenience store and a Starbucks nearby.

The next morning before we were going to leave, I went down to the restaurant for breakfast. Couldn't eat much, but what I did eat was good. Ernie was prompt in picking us up. He cracked jokes and kept us entertained the whole way back. Went to the airport and took my flight home.

Before surgery, I was 215 pounds, after the week long liquid diet, I was 205 pounds. Ten days after surgery, I am down to 193 pounds. Any reservations I had before are now gone. I would do this all over again in a heartbeat. And I would like to add, that I would have Dr. Quinones do the surgery again. He was the right doctor for me. He was very knowledgeable and caring. He spoke excellent English and his personality is great! I still have a little pain if I eat too fast. Right now, I am on liquids and cream soups, yogurt, cottage cheese and pureed foods.

If anyone has any questions, I would be glad to try and answer them. Best of luck to my sleevies!

I
  2. zmdh39
    Ah, love ya Jammy...193 I am so jealous, I am sitting at 196. Congrats girl!
  3. zmdh39
    Ah, love ya Jammy...193 I am so jealous, I am sitting at 196. Congrats girl!
  4. Enfury8me
    Enfury8me
    8 Days and I will meet Dr. Quinones myself!!! Congrats to you and I hope that some of my experience is as good as yours! (I hate to throw up so I don't want that part of your experience) LOL!
  5. jammy
    jammy
    Enfury8me, you will have a wonderful experience! ZMDH39, love ya too! lol...hang in there, it's just gonna be like BUTTA and melt right off of us
  6. Cjp17
    Cjp17
    Oh lord no narcotics!!!!! I'm scared now!!!! Congrats on being sleeved
  7. gemini*eyes
    gemini*eyes
    Oh crap! I'll be begging for narcotics!! Awesome info in post!
  8. jammy
    jammy
    Thanks all for the support
  9. Tracie_t
    Tracie_t
    My sediments exactly. That anestheologist had it going on. When he walked in i was thinking in my head but said it out loud. I said damn u fine. and he started laughing.... You were like me i got on the table and he put something in that iv and i was out. I woke up in my bed. I can tolerate pain very well so i was not in any real pain. jus a lil sore. My experience with him was the best. it has been a lil over 3 weeks and I have lost 28 pounds. I am so psyched. Im just ready to get out the 200's
  10. FirstLady
    FirstLady
    Does any of the doctors in Mexico give narcotics after surgery?
  11. FirstLady
    FirstLady
    Does any of the doctors in Mexico give narcotics after surgery?
  12. FirstLady
    FirstLady
    Does any of the doctors give narcotics after surgery?
  13. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I don't know if the doctors give narcotics. I was like Tracie not in pain just a lil sore but not sore where it hurted just sore because I had major surgery. I don't think that will be an issue with surgery. It was my first surgery ever and I have no kids at all and the pain was very tolerable
  14. jammy
    jammy
    Tracie, I just got a chance to read your post. That is so funny! My husband always teases me bc I have a thing for Hispanic men and he happens to be the farthest thing from Hispanic. But yes, he was quite the looker! Congrats on the weight loss too! Keep it up and if any of you have any pointers...don't hesitate to share!
  15. judy79
    judy79
    Fabulous story. Under 200 aqnd I am cheering you on girl!!!
  16. judy79
    judy79
    Fabulous story. Under 200 aqnd I am cheering you on girl!!!
  17. jammy
    jammy
    Thanks Judy!
  18. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Wow we can edit now, thank goodness they fixed that damn glitch