Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Will this surgery improve PCOS symptoms?

1. Lulu
    Lulu
    Hello! I am 30 yrs old and have been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since I was 19. It seems like the older I get the worse my symptoms are. I havn't found any research out there on this topic so I decided to create a group in hopes to get some answers. I know that weightloss, reducing glycemic index & exercise all help PCOS. It's really hard to lose weight when PCOS is taking over ones life.
    My theory is that WLS will help me regain a regular monthly cycle, lose weight & lesson the pain & many numerous other symptoms I have from PCOS.
  2. Rhiannon Martin-Howes
    Rhiannon Martin-Howes
    Hi Lulu, I'm hoping for the same except husband has been told he needs a vasectomy now as we are both tooooooooooooooo old to start a family. I'm 37 and he's 54.
  3. TrailNurse
    TrailNurse
    I would have to say yes it will benefit PCOS because weight gain exacerbates PCOS, so the opposite is true. This link mentions the benefits of weight loss surgery and PCOS.

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) fact sheet | womenshealth.gov
  4. VSGOct2011
    VSGOct2011
    I also have PCOS, it's been years of menstrual chaos. Periods that last 6 months then disappear for 2 years then come back with a vengeance. It's been recommended that I lose weight, although it's ironic that PCOS typically is one of those conditions that makes it more difficult to lose weight. 11 years between kids and no protection in there...hmmm....not that I want anymore. Happy with the 2 I have, but I sure hope the long heavy or absent periods will be regular once the surgery is done.
  5. Sbrandenburg05
    Sbrandenburg05
    I Have been diagnosed since 14 with PCOS and the doctor I currently see says that once the weight is a significant amount decreased everything starts to change. Your skin goes through changes if there are any pigment issues, the ways your periods are, more fertile, hormone fluctuation not as much and just over all the symptoms at bay because this disease is at its best when you are overweight... but when the weight is gone it cant work the same.. I have known this disease for 10 years, and now at 24 I just had the sleeve done, and now I am working to see the results.
  6. Sweetja77
    Sweetja77
    Hey ladies I was diagnosed with pcos at the age of 19 I have had 2 ovarian cyst surgeries so far the wls has helped with my pcos but I started taking my metformin again the thing I need to do is exercise and I know it will help me even more.
  7. shaminthedevil
    shaminthedevil
    Hi, I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19 also. I think that is the magic age for women to get diagnosed. I have been told by the weight center that I am going through for my surgery that more that likely it will help with all the issues that I have had with PCOS. All the stuff that I read about the VGS and the benefits it does state that it will help with this. Not that there is that much on the web but I still believe it. As Trailnurse said above weight gain exacerbates PCOS so this should help!
  8. browneyedgirl
    browneyedgirl
    Hi ladies!

My health concerns, especially my PCOS, are the main reasons I am getting this procedure done on the 28th. When discussing my reasoning for the sleeve with my surgeon and the PA (also a dietitian), they had this to tell me: "After you lose weight, you can just look at a boy and get pregnant. You will have to be very careful to not get pregnant." They told me many stories of ladies in our shoes that have went on to get regular cycles, get off their medicines (I'm currently on metformine) and get pregnant without any additional medication. (oh, and for you cynics out there, they told me this AFTER I had already signed up for my surgery, so it was not an attempt to convince me to do it by telling me fairytales.) I just hope this little bit of encouragement will help those of you who are worried that nothing will cure your symptoms. More likely than not, losing weight WILL help your PCOS. And personally, I CAN'T wait!

Praying for you all!

Jenny
  9. N2DVN
    N2DVN
    My hubby has pointed out that the dark discolored spots (acanthosis nigricans) in my vaginal area are normal skin color now. My blood sugar levels are also now in the "normal" range, instead of always being too low. I'm happy to be off the glucophage xr, after 12 years on it!
  10. Butterfly17
    Butterfly17
    Hello Ladies!!!! Truth be told yes this surgery SHOULD help minimize some of your symptoms... being overweight does effect our reproductive system quite a bit and will take a good year or so to get back to norm as far as PCOS is concerned.. In most cases we should be able to get off of our medications ( if on any) and have a more regular cycle... most health issues should clear up ....

following my procedure i am returning in whats called the PALEO "DIET" which is a lifestyle that at my best weight i felt fantastic on before my PCOS and other health issues went haywire....

.... Just a thought xo
  11. missliz0850
    missliz0850
    Okay so I'm one month post op and I got my first menstrual cycle in 7 years. Whoo hoo! I've dropped 59 pounds pre and post total and am so happy my body is normalizing again!!!
  12. shrinkinggirl
    shrinkinggirl
    I am so thankful I found this group! I was diagnosed at 14 and have never had a normal menstrual period without being on a medication that forced it. I have the worst of the worst PCOS symptoms with dark hair all over my body including my face and back. I am praying as hard as I can that this surgery will help improve some of the awful symptoms. I am going to throw a huge party for myself when I get my first period, haha I sort of feel like a 14 year old praying to be like all the rest of her friends! I am three weeks post-op and 30 lbs down so far!
  13. Veronica_Lennon
    Veronica_Lennon
    Hi Cysters!

I had just posted that I had my cycle for the first time on my own and guess what! I ovulated this month too! I cried so hard knowing that after years of painful cysts I actually ovulated. It's so weird though being on the other side of things that we have to be careful to not get pregnant now after years of tears over trying to conceive. So hopeful now and can't wait until I pass the safe period so we can start our family
  14. VSGOct2011
    VSGOct2011
    11 Month Update: Normal cycles since 1 month post-op. PCOS all but gone. Hormone testing shows absence of those linked to PCOS. Blood sugars in normal range. 28 day curse on schedule VSG worth every penny for this benefit alone, of course I do enjoy buy size 8-10 clothing much better than when I was buying the size 22-24s too!
  15. HealthierMe123
    HealthierMe123
    I was diagnosed at the age of 12 with PCOS. I have never had a regular menstrual cycle ever. I am looking forward to having my surgery. I would love to be able to ovulate so that I may have a baby of my own. I have raised so many children but my one wish is to have a baby of my own. I have hope by reading the posts in this group. I wish all of you ladies continued success in your weight loss. I am in my six month maintenance and my surgery is scheduled for July.
  16. Dunamys
    Dunamys
    Hiladies well im new in this site I was diagnosed w PCOS since I was 19yr and now im 29. I dont everrrr get my period I actually didn't have any period for over 8 yrs until I starting taking pills (Provera) I dont have any kids and I dont use any protection w my boyfriend. My dr recomended for me to get this surgery that since I weight 222 I need to loose a lot of pounds and this will help me with my menstrual sicle and eventually to have kids. My bestfriend was in the same boat as me but she weighted 340 and she got the gastro bypass and she has gotten pregnant 2x. Good luck to u all Im having my surgery on 4/24/13.
  17. Goodbyepcos
    Goodbyepcos
    I can answer this question from personal experience. Although I got the gastric bypass operation and not the sleeve in 2012. I suffered from full blown PCOS symptoms for almost 10 years. The surgery took away pretty much all of them (everything except the dark hairs that I plucked previously to the surgery)! I am now pregnant with our first child after almost 10 years of trying. I did get pregnant before the year and I would not recommend this as it has been a struggle (I had an IUD and it slipped). I am 5 months pregnant right now with a child that I never dreamed possible. (I am 29). So the answer is yes. It changed my life and makes me feel like I finally won, what felt like a losing battle for so many years. I really think that they need to look into this as a solution for PCOS, as only someone that has suffered that frustrating road can imagine what a possible cure can do.
  18. hey.moon
    hey.moon
    I know this is an old thread, but it honestly brought me to tears. PCOS has all but ruined me. My self-esteem and mental health have taken the biggest toll. Thinking that I would never be blessed with children was so devastating for me because all I ever wanted was to be called mommy. I went to the gyno yesterday and she told me that essentially, I can't get pregnant until i fix it. I've been obese my whole life and it's all I've ever known. My best friend got the sleeve in May and when she first told me I kind of considered it, but it wasn't until yesterday that I was 100% sold. I will do whatever it takes to be able to have a normal body and healthy babies.
  19. Traci
    Traci
    Reading all of these posts has given me hope. I have been struggling with PCOS for 13+ years. Its such a blessing to know that this surgery will (hopefully) help my PCOS symptoms and give me the option to have children one day. Good luck to you all in your WLS journey!
  20. Bree_loved
    Bree_loved
    I am over here bawling! I've been diagnosed since I was 17, I am now 20. I want to be able to find the man of my wildest dreams and have beautiful babies by 25-28. This really has given me hope
  21. befine2016
    befine2016
    This board has given me all the hope I need. It isn't always about "not being fat" some of us do have other things we want to accomplish that weight loss may benefit. Recently my cysts have cause me incredible pain and although my cycle has been anywhere between 29-35 days monthly I have not ovulated in over a year. I pray that the gastric sleeve I plan on getting will be miracle that I need. Good luck to all my cysters out there. You all will be in my prayers. God Bless.
  22. dany
    dany
    I've been going through this pain for the past 6 years. You guys are giving me hope. The PCOS has caused me sooo much problems with my health and my marrage. I will have my surgery on 2/22/14. Besides the weight lost, I am looking forward to getting my life back.
  23. CORINA
    CORINA
    Hello Ladies. First time posting. I was also diagnosed with PCOS but in my 30's. My question is when those of you who have PCOS and got the surgery did you still experience periods with big blood clots and if so, do you still get them after the surgery?
  24. ssc22880
    ssc22880
    I was diagnosed at age 17. First cyst removed by age 18. Was lucky n got pregnant right after with my son. After him never had another period until 4 days after my sleeve surgery. And have had a period ever since. I have large clots but only for 2 days out of my cycle on my heaviest days. I run about a 6 day cycle.
  25. emski87
    emski87
    Really enjoyed reading this thread.

Having PCOS and wanting children is my main reason behind having the weight loss surgery. I was diagnosed aged 16 and can probably count on my hand how many periods I have had on my own in the last 11 years! I just thought it was normal for a while, as my mum didn't have periods properly until she was 18, and then she had my sister in December 84 and me in January 87, so as she didn't have problems conceiving, then figured all would be ok.

Got into a serious relationship aged 19 and by 21 was trying to get pregnant, to no avail and this is when I really realised that it wasn't going to be that easy for me! finished with my partner aged 23 and not attempted to get pregnant since!

reading this thread has really given me hope that losing the weight may bring back a normal menstrual cycle and fertility. I am booked to have surgery on 23rd June, and it can not come quick enough. I have been losing weight gradually over the past 4 years and more, but its not easy to shift, and I am out of ideas of what else to do except WLS.

Good luck to all you ladies and I really hope that you get everything it is that you want out of life following WLS
  26. tddani4s
    tddani4s
    I know I am really late on this post but it is interesting to see and learn how many women share in the same condition that I have been dealing with for years. I am twenty-eight days away from my surgery and I hope this surgery really helps me out.
  27. karen 5
    karen 5
    I am 68 years old and had vgs 4/2/15 and suspected I had PCOS all my life. . . only one daughter, wierd monthy periods, acne, weight gain, increased facial hair, pre diabetic, sleep apnea, and I can tell you that this is the best I have felt in years since vgs and small amount of weight loss of 10 lbs. I always had lots of fatigue no matter what I did but that has improved since surgery and now I have lots of energy. I hope this info helps you feel more hopeful vgs will help. I went thru menopause at age 50. never had a ultra sound until last august where a bowling ball size tumor was found non cancer with cysts throughout both ovaries which we all removed. vgs has made me feel better so "all is well". wishing you good health with vgs.