Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Comfort/Boredom EAting

1. Gwyn
    Gwyn
    There isn't really any activity in this group, so I thought I would start a discussion. I'm not sure I'm a binge eater, but I am definitely a comfort eater! Pre-surgery I would eat because I was sad, happy, excited, bored, etc. etc. I would eat because I felt like I should be eating or because eating made me feel good. This is my biggest struggle post-surgery. I work very hard to never be bored and to find other ways to release my emotions. Exercise is a huge help, but I also find that frequently when I want to eat as an emotional response, the last thing I want to do is go for a walk or bike ride. Sometimes I'm very good at forcing myself, other times not so much.

Anyway, I wanted everyone else in this group to know that you're not alone! What are some ways that others are learning to cope with comfort or emotional eating?
  2. Hazimax
    Hazimax
    I still struggle with this ( I'm only 10 weeks post op )
    I have been having a small "treat" like a 1/4 of a 1 person brownie, or a bag of wotsits sucked to death, if I get reallllly desperate, but mostly I avoid the situations where i used to be lead into binge eating. I don't really watch much tv anymore, I try and keep around people or stay busy if alone, and meals out aren't really on my agenda anymore.
  3. scgal21
    scgal21
    I've always struggled with eating out of boredom or just because something tastes good. I come from a family who ate for any and all reasons...happy, sad, upset, etc. Unfortunately, I'm the only one with a weight problem. I still catch myself thinking along those lines. I'm in my 50's so I doubt those bad habits will stop overnight. I keep a picture of me at my highest weight on the fridge to remind me of how far I've come.
  4. ruby2508
    ruby2508
    I have been having sugar free popsicles when I think I have to snack. Even if I eat multiple ones I don't feel bad about it because it is still better than a bag of chips, chocolate and ice cream one right after another in the evening. That is the way I used to eat and it is really hard to control those urges now. I find the good thing is with the sleeve I simply can't eat the amount I used to. Yeah! I just have to come up with another evening snack to replace the popsicles when it gets cooler. I won't want a popsicle when it is 30 degrees outside. Any ideas let me know!

Thanks for starting the conversation Gwyn. I feel like I like this site but truthfully I am not getting a whole lot from any particular group I have joined because just like you said there doesn't seem to be much going on within any group I have joined.
  5. ruby2508
    ruby2508
    I have been having sugar free popsicles when I think I have to snack. Even if I eat multiple ones I don't feel bad about it because it is still better than a bag of chips, chocolate and ice cream one right after another in the evening. That is the way I used to eat and it is really hard to control those urges now. I find the good thing is with the sleeve I simply can't eat the amount I used to. Yeah! I just have to come up with another evening snack to replace the popsicles when it gets cooler. I won't want a popsicle when it is 30 degrees outside. Any ideas let me know!

Thanks for starting the conversation Gwyn. I feel like I like this site but truthfully I am not getting a whole lot from any particular group I have joined because just like you said there doesn't seem to be much going on within any group I have joined.
  6. ruby2508
    ruby2508
    Sorry about the duplicate post. My computer is really slow today and I got impatient and went click happy!
  7. divinethree
    divinethree
    My weakness is potatoes!! I can't seem to give them up! For the most part I ok foods but if I see a bag of chips, it's on! I am 6 months post op and I am down a little under 40pds but I am sure I could be down more if I could just give up chips and potatoes:-(
  8. divinethree
    divinethree
    My weakness is potatoes!! I can't seem to give them up! For the most part I ok foods but if I see a bag of chips, it's on! I am 6 months post op and I am down a little under 40pds but I am sure I could be down more if I could just give up chips and potatoes:-(
  9. sweetsal
    sweetsal
    Hi all, I have to say this is really depressing, Dr. Almaza's group assured me the surgery would remove the urge to binge and it sure doesn't sound like it does. I have found that the best way for me to beat the cravings is to work on my quilting. I am playing with such pretty fabrics the last thing I want to do is get them dirty.

But if I am sick or in pain where I can't quilt, ie: I have had kidney stones, two 6 mm stones and its taken 6 weeks to get into surgery to have them removed, that has been a lot of pain. Then I developed a kidney infection after the surgery and the pain was even worse. That has all caused me to gain about 7-10 pounds. Now that I am feeling better I have managed to drop a few. But wow it's a problem for me. And bad, really bad as a felt I still managed to drive to the store to pick up donuts and cafe latte, even though I wasn't supposed to be driving at all. Pretty bad huh?

Sweetsal
  10. TarotAces
    TarotAces
    The only things I've found to work when the eating is an emotional response are things that really take me 'out of myself'. For example: Taking an indulgent bath with ambiance (candles, incense, music, etc), cranking up the music and cleaning (works if I'm responding with anger), or cranking the music and painting (if I'm feeling particularly sad or environmentally depressed). Things along those lines, love frustrations? Cooking helps me.

Hope those ideas help out. The really hard part for me is remembering to do them! lol
  11. Pattimelt
    Pattimelt
    Hi all, my surgery is scheduled for April, but I've been going to a 12 step support group for compulsive eaters for over a year. I can't tell you how much it has helped me with binge eating and emotional eating. Whenever I want to eat and I'm not hungry, it's rarely about the food, it's about emotions or feelings. I haven't been able to lose weight yet, that's why I'm getting sleeved, but the support has made a huge difference in my life. I know I'll be a compulsive eater the rest of my life, so I need all the tools I can get, including the sleeve, to help me live a healthy happy life. If anyone wants to know more, message me. Good luck to all of you, and thanks for your support, Patti
  12. TarotAces
    TarotAces
    @Pattimelt

{{{{Hugs}}}} I'm right there with you. Feel free to reach out if you want to talk.