Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Stacymmom2

8 days post op.... doing great! More questions!

Rate this Entry
So I am now eight days post op. I am able to tolerate water and food so much better than the beginning... still have gas pains and am taking the GasX religiously but it is tolerable.

Wondering how much I should be able to eat at a time? I am eating protein shakes, high protein yogurt and some soups.

I ate a whole container of yogurt in one sitting - took about a half hour but is that too much? I did have some minor pain a few times while eating...

Just wondering ....

Thanks all !!!! Stacy

Submit "8 days post op.... doing great! More questions!" to Digg Submit "8 days post op.... doing great! More questions!" to del.icio.us Submit "8 days post op.... doing great! More questions!" to StumbleUpon Submit "8 days post op.... doing great! More questions!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sounds to me like you're doing great. Keep on keeping on.
    The "gas pains" post op is from the gas that is pumped in you during surgery. GasX does not help with that. You need to keep walking to expel that gas. If you are having what feels kind of like hunger pangs it is probably stomach acid. Are you on anything? Also, it is easier to eat soft foods. When you start on solids you will be able to eat much less.
    Hi, what christie said. I wonder if some of the minor pain was from eating a bit too much yogurt though, I don't know how big your yogurts are there but I don't think I would have managed a whole container. Hope you are going well, its all a learning process at this stage. I found it really weird the very little amount of food I could eat and would dish up more than I needed a lot at first. It does change when you are onto soft and solid foods... you will be amazed!!!
    Forget the Gas-X strips, they are for intestinal gas, not the gas pumped into your body for surgery. The only cure for that is walking.

I had a minimum amount of protein grams and liquid ounces to meet every day. I kept a journal. I didn't really worry about what I was eating, just that I ate and drank enough to meet those goals. Good luck!
    My thoughts on eating... soft foods are easier on you than hard foods. Slowly eating yogurt in one serving is not that bad. Main thing is to hit your protein target as much as you can which will help with feeling full and all. Just keep in mind as you transition into more solid food, what you can eat drops significantly. I found that at first one single scrambled egg was more than enough. And some things that I used to wolf down before (brisket, sweet bacon, spicy foods for example), suddenly don't go down that easy. My word of advice is to start small, slow, and listen / feel your body's signals closely. And once you get a few weeks out, you'll be very happy that it does not take that much food to feel full, and it gets very easy to stay honest in your eating.
    I am also a week post-op. I also have the tummy rumbles/explosive gas when I drink my liquid shakes too fast! I disagree that it is the gas from the operation. Lactose in the shakes could cause this. I am active, following my doctor's protocol, and staying hydrated. Feeling great. No weight lost, yet, but I know it's coming.