Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

ladyinred5

Needing Antibiotics for Dentist because of surgery?

Rate this Entry
I went to the dentist today and he told me he could not give me a full cleaning because of the staples from my surgery. I have never heard this before? Have any of you? He said the bacteria could collect in any area where you have any kind of metal(I also have 2 screws in my foot) and that some Dr.s will not want you to get your teeth cleaned or any other procedure causing bleeding or bacteria to go into your system because these areas are a breeding ground for bacteria to go to. He said that I may need a prescription for an antibiotic to be taken an hr before any kind of procedure(especially dental) that could cause the bacteria to travel to these metal areas I now have in my body.

Submit "Needing Antibiotics for Dentist because of surgery?" to Digg Submit "Needing Antibiotics for Dentist because of surgery?" to del.icio.us Submit "Needing Antibiotics for Dentist because of surgery?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Needing Antibiotics for Dentist because of surgery?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

wow ! never heard of that, but I had a sister that had heart problems and she had to do that before any dental work.
    Curious to see what others have to say.

Julie
    My mom was just telling me yesterday that I shouldn't get my teeth cleaned for awhile until everything heals. That a friend of hers daughter had the sleeve and then got her teeth cleaned and got a bacteria infection that went to her stomach and she almost died. I believe there is truth in what your dentist is saying.
    I had a knee replacement 3 yrs ago and I have to do the same thing prior to any dental work. My ortho suggested a 2 year period to follow this rule but as I just had almost a full mouth restoration, I took antibiotics prior and for 2 weeks post dental surgery. I also had to take antibiotics prior to my sleeve and during my 3 day hospital stay.

For dental cleaning I normally take 1000 mg 1 hr prior to cleaning. It's all normal . It's to prevent any kind of infection spreading!
    I have a heart murmur and I have to take anti-biotics before any kind of dental work. For this reason, I am having my teeth cleaned before my surgery. I am also having everything else taken care of (gyno, physical) ect. so that I just have to worry about healing