Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

cpaliz1

FSA Benefit Changes

Rate this Entry
Since I am planning to use my flexible spending benefits through my employer I decided to check the 2013 limits. I wanted to let others know that might also be planning to do this as well that the IRS plans to limit the contributions to $2,500. This was pretty shocking and upsetting for me since that's about half of my surgery money. No matter what I'll have the surgery. It might just take me a little longer.

I work for a self insured company. They will be looking at our insurance renewal soon so I've sent them an email proposing they add bariatric surgery options into our plan. Additionaly I have heard and read that sometimes an employer that is self funded will sometimes be willing to pay for the surgery on a case by case basis. It doesn't hurt to ask so I have asked. I don't think I'll hear anything right away but hopefully soon.

In case nothing happens with that, I have set up a little payment plan/budget for myself. My total for surgery is $4000. I'll have $1000 paid by 10/30. Then I'll have another $500 paid by 12/28. This leaves my balance at $2500 which will be available on my FSA card January 1st! Hopefully I can have surgery on 1/4/13.

I was going to have it done a little later but then realized I have a confrence for It Works Global-a company I'm an independent distributor for and it's very important to me. I have to fly out to Tampa, FL on 1/17/13...I hope I'm doing well with my recovery to make it. I can not miss this confrence.

Submit "FSA Benefit Changes" to Digg Submit "FSA Benefit Changes" to del.icio.us Submit "FSA Benefit Changes" to StumbleUpon Submit "FSA Benefit Changes" to Google

Tags: fsa Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Just an FYI -- the contributions for an HSA for 2012 is $3050 single and $6150. You can spend more than that as it accumulates, it's not a use it or loose it type plan. That may be something to think about with your employer also. Your contributions to the plan are pretax dollars as well.
    There is a very good possibility that FSA's, HSA's and Archer plans will be going bye bye in 2014 as they do fit the qualifications for the new health care bill standards. Just part of our planning.
    Also make sure that you have documented co-morbidities or the deduction could be denied on audit.