Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

cpmusic

Post-Op Day 14: Two Week Mark, FRUSTRATIONS!

Rate this Entry
Today is official Two weeks from my Surgery. I was sleeved two weeks ago today on Tuesday, August 14th. I have been on the pureed stage of my diet since Tuesday, August 21st and it has been horrible. I've been able to keep everything down that I've tried, but that's just it...I haven't had a lot. I don't really know what to eat, and nothing sounds appealing!

Since starting pureed, I've had mashed potatoes, soups pureed (cream of potato, cheddar broccoli, vegetable), sf pudding, light yogurt. I made the ricotta bake recipe that a lot of people recommended, and I hated it. I've recently been making a smoothie for breakfast and dinner, consisting of 1 light yogurt, 1/2 cup of 1% milk, 1 scoop of vanilla protein, and ice. They come to about 31 grams of protein each, but I'm already getting tired of them. My lunch is usually a small amount of pureed soup, which isn't the best tasting. I just feel like I need more options, and I don't know what to make. I want something that just taste good. My nutritionist says I can puree meat, but that doesn't sound appealing AT ALL. I actually tried tuna, and crab in a salad form with mayo but I didn't like the consistency.

With my food frustration being said, now let's go on to my sleeve. I have no pain anymore!! I feel fine. I'm walking around great, and have no complaints on that end. My incisions seem to be healing, my tape is starting to fall and the incision where my stomach was removed has gone down considerably. I don't feel that "pull" feeling anymore while walking, and I'm able to sleep on my sides with no discomfort. I have an Interview on Friday for a new job position, and I return to school on Sept. 10th...so I'm ready!!

I just wish I could find some decent "pureed" items to eat. I need options, so if you could recommend any type of recipe or how to cook certain things please let me know. It's making me really depressed. It's just frustrating, I don't want a smoothie LOL!

P.S. I still have not been weighed since my Anesthesia appointment on August 8th (which was 2 days into my pre-op diet), so I'm in for a surprise because I have a doctors appointment (primary physician follow up) on Thursday. I do not return to my surgeon for a follow up until Sept. 13th.
I guess I should invest in a scale (never had one in my home for obvious reasons).

Submit "Post-Op Day 14: Two Week Mark, FRUSTRATIONS!" to Digg Submit "Post-Op Day 14: Two Week Mark, FRUSTRATIONS!" to del.icio.us Submit "Post-Op Day 14: Two Week Mark, FRUSTRATIONS!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Post-Op Day 14: Two Week Mark, FRUSTRATIONS!" to Google

Comments

I also had a hard time w/that stage foods. I did like the yogurt (never get tired of it even now. I also couldn't eat tuna or egg salad, however; I did enjoy some egg drop soup from the Chinese takeout. I also made a pot roast w/carrotts, potatoes; and just "mushed" it and enjoyed this for a while. My taste buds changed so often, that what I enjoyed one day, I hated the next. I hated all forms of protein, and moved to the next phase of eating sooner than recommended and did fine. You might want to check out the following website for some recipes.
    theworldaccordingtoeggface.com
    Good luck, and it really does get better and better quickly!
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl
    I also had a hard time w/that stage foods. I did like the yogurt (never get tired of it even now. I also couldn't eat tuna or egg salad, however; I did enjoy some egg drop soup from the Chinese takeout. I also made a pot roast w/carrotts, potatoes; and just "mushed" it and enjoyed this for a while. My taste buds changed so often, that what I enjoyed one day, I hated the next. I hated all forms of protein, and moved to the next phase of eating sooner than recommended and did fine. You might want to check out the following website for some recipes.
    theworldaccordingtoeggface.com
    Good luck, and it really does get better and better quickly!
    Did you puree your tuna or egg salad, or the egg drop soup? See that's the thing, I think I'm too focused on following directions. I love pot roast, maybe I could try that.
    A couple of my favorites...I buy already made turkey meatballs, mush them up or puree them with a little marinara sauce, put reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese on top then bake it, it's like meatball parmigiana. Or as others have suggested on here and I LOVE it, Wendy's Chili pureed (I actually found that I like their chili better pureed then how they serve it), add reduced fat shredded cheese and/or light sour cream, very delicious or you could always make your own chili and do the same... Hope that helps
    I did the "pureed" stage for about one HOUR. Yuk!!!
    Alicia's ideas are the bomb too. I loved chili from Wendy's, pinto beans w/cheese from Taco Bell, and made some bean dishes on my own. Mushed them a lil, put some sour cream, cheese, and got in some protein. I love beans now and then. I almost forgot what I ate at that stage, it's all a vague memory. There are also lots of blogs/forum threads on here that you might look up that will be so helpful. I did not totally puree the foods, just kind of "mushed" them up. The soup didn't actually have to be mushed, it's already so; just watch the sodium content.
    Wendy's chili sounds good and so do the turkey meatballs and marinara. Tender pot roast carrots and potatoes would mush up with some nice flavor. Gave me some good ideas. Thanks.
    There are heaps of simmer sauces available they will give you heaps of variety of flavours to add to chicken, meat etc, there is one mango curry you add chicken sounded nice, also tuna mornay, chilli, and my mum made the best soup anything she could find and blended it till near smooth but she always said add a can of soup low fat etc she said it gives it a boost of flavour, also add some protein powder to anything you make.
    Have you checked the forums? If not, do this:

1) click on Forums (top of page)
    2) click Getting Started with Gastric Sleeve Surgery
    3) click Gastric Sleeve Diet, Recipes, and Nutrition

For there there are lots of different threads with recipes and links to other sites with recipes.

Good luck!
    Wow, have you hit the nail right on the head! So many of us have been where you are, so you are in a good place, buddy! The GREAT news is: you probably won't be on pureed foods much longer, so hang in there!!!!! I thought I was never going to be done with that stage, too, and also it was strange to only be eating two tablespoons of food in 20 minutes (IF I could even get that down). The other comments are right...especially the suggestion to check out the world according to eggface. Her blog is really good, and has TONS of recipes that you can modify to get you through this. I liked the roast beef hash from a can with melted cheese. It got me through some blah moments. Just a little while longer, and you can move onward to some better options. We are with you all the way!
    Hey cpmusic, at my dr's office, they don't want me off of liquid for 4 more weeks. Imagine my frustration. Anyway, I had to cheat because I was making pureed mac and cheese for my 8 month old granddaughter. I added more cheese, added butter and I am telling you, it was off the chain. Maybe some of your issues may be mental or it could be that your taste buds have now changed.