Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Ibleedblue

Regain and carbs

Rate this Entry
4.5 years post OP, I was doing fine. Got lax with my sugar intake and snacking and gained about 10 pounds. Did keto for a year and got down to 125, felt great. Then I got really sick, turns out a kidney stone was blocking a tube and I got an infection. Had two months in bed and 3 surgeries. Lost all my muscles and appetite. To get me to eat, everyone was focused on "what sounds good" or bringing milkshakes. Once I was back on my feet my appetite came back BIG TIME. I have gained 25 pounds in a matter of months. I can't stop eating. My weight gain wasn't this bad before my surgery, it would take me 2 years to gain 25 pounds. I'm really feeling helpless and frustrated. I try to do keto again but I'll do great in the day and blow it at night because I have no macros left and I'm starving or the craving gets too bad and I cave in. I'm beyond scared. Any advice? I feel like there's got to be someone out there that went thru something similar. How did you start? What do I do? All I think about is food. I'm out of control. Help!!

Submit "Regain and carbs" to Digg Submit "Regain and carbs" to del.icio.us Submit "Regain and carbs" to StumbleUpon Submit "Regain and carbs" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

So sorry to hear about your struggles.
    I can't help you, I am only 2,5 years out, but I am sure someone here will give you some guidance.
    All I know is that you did it before and you sure can do it again!
    All I can (and will) do is cheer you on.
    Good luck!
    Hi there,

A lot to say here. I also had a big regain with meds. What treatment did you follow? I know for me, antibiotics and even worth, prednisone, make me gain A LOT. +30 pounds in 4 month 1/2, and it's hard to lose it, even after stopping the treatment.

My advice would be first to have a blood test to make sure you are not deficient in something (iron deficient or anemia give me awful cravings) and make sure anyway you continue to take your vitamins every day. That blood test should be a full panel, checking the thyroid is important when your weight move that fast.

Second, empty your house from any temptation. If it's not there it won't go in your mouth.

Third go to bed early with a book and don't get up.

And most important, track your food daily, keto is great for many but you might not be able to eat that much fat, low carb moderate fat should do the trick.

Don't lose hope, and try to focus on good healthy food, your sleeve is still there to help you!

Take care
    Sorry you've been so sick and happy you're on the mend. Instead of Keto why not dig out your old materials and eat how a sleeved person should? I too am maintaining, and basically do the sleeve diet with the help of Weight Watchers to help me track. I call it tracking for dummies. (I was a lifetime member way back in the day). Everyone somehow finds what works for them. But everyone does something, the weight just doesn't magically stay away. Good luck, you can do it! You've taken the first step by acknowledging the gain.
    As others have said, dig out your old sleeve "bible." Get back to basics! Empty your house of anything that will make you overeat. Start weighing and measuring your food. Use any of the food apps that are out there that will help you. Like Sharon, I've returned to WW when I regained and its been so helpful to me. Stay vigilant and mindful of what you are eating.
    I just wanted to say thank you for the encouragement. I'm so blessed to have people that understand what I'm going thru because sometimes I feel like no one really understands ❤
    It is nice to be in an understanding community. I don't know a single person who has had the sleeve surgery, just my virtual friends! (I guess I do have my hospital support group, but I have never found it very supporting).
    The struggle is real!! Our situations are different but I needed to gain weight and it took over a year, but once I hit my goal of 145, I kept gaining. I was almost at 160 before I really woke up and said to myself 'If I don't stop now, I will be 255 pounds again' and I really don't want to go there. I downloaded the "lose it" app and started keeping track of calories. Because I had been eating carbs and junk my body was craving it. You just have to get through a few days of cutting the carbs and junk and then you won't want it so much. Clean out the fridge, freezer and cabinets. Get rid of the stuff you shouldn't have. I have kids and buy them snacks that I don't like so i won't eat them. Don't drink soda or sugary drinks. Track your water. If you feel hungry have small snack. Use a lunch plate for dinner. You have done it before and while at 4.5 years out we aren't going to loose as easy as we did in the beginning we still have the advantage of the sleeve. Just be strong and don't give in to the cravings. You got this!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    It is nice to be in an understanding community. I don't know a single person who has had the sleeve surgery, just my virtual friends! (I guess I do have my hospital support group, but I have never found it very supporting).
    True for me too.
    I never knew someone who had a sleeve before I got the surgery, only a friend who had a bypass, and my husband's cousins who had the failing band.

At the hospital my "support group" was only with Chinese speakers, I was the only westerner and my Chinese is terrible so no point going, beside being the focus point...

Sometimes it does feel insulating to be facing issues alone all the time, the forum has been such a great help to communicate with fellow sleevers!