Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sandra3

Quack quack

Rate this Entry
Two months ago, a wild duck established camp on our patio, in the concrete flower boxes. We didn't see her right away because the was hidden in the flowers, but when she was discovered we could see 12 eggs in her nest.

One month ago, 11 ducklings were born, one egg didn't hatch properly, and two ducklings died early, they were smaller and not walking well, I guess they had some kind of genetic issue.

Tomorrow, nine ducklings turn one month old!
Since we live in a town with busy streets around, and our garden has really high walls, they will probably stay until they can fly.

While I was so sick, taking care of mama duck, and then her babies did keep me busy. My husband was always talking about getting chicken one day, but since he saw how much work birds require, he changed his mind!! duckling are really cute, but they are also really messy and I've been cleaning patio, stairs etc, plus making them food everyday since they are born, my husband is the one taking care of the pool...
Ducklings are very cute to watch but very messy and stinky!

yesterday we did put more water in the pool since they are bigger and it was so fun to watch them learning how to dive,AND chillin' like a villain!! (video)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190523_121555_260.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	965.0 KB 
ID:	28338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190619_185951_113.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	677.2 KB 
ID:	28339https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sKJ...w?usp=drivesdk

Submit "Quack quack" to Digg Submit "Quack quack" to del.icio.us Submit "Quack quack" to StumbleUpon Submit "Quack quack" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Owww... übercute!
    Cute, messy and stinky... lol.
    What do you feed them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie
    Owww... übercute!
    Cute, messy and stinky... lol.
    What do you feed them?
    I had to study the question : since they are omnivores, I make them everyday dry food on one side (mixed of broken corn, oat, and natural yeast for their B vitamins, if deficient they can get sick) and "wet food" on the other side (cut veggies, one protein: pork meat, eggs, sardines,tuna, white fish, salmon skin etc, one carb: rice, small pasta, cooked potatoes) with lots of water. For treats, tomatoes or watermelon...but not everyday! too much sugar is not good for them either...

lol
    They are soooo lucky they are born in the garden of a nutritionist!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie
    lol
    They are soooo lucky they are born in the garden of a nutritionist!
    Hubby said yesterday the table is too good, they will never go away, or they will come back next year! LOL!!!

But they also dig the ground for warms, eat greens in the garden and eat lots of bugs...this year almost no mosquito left thanks to our stinky friends!
    That is so cool and made me smile You're one great couple to take care of the mama duck and her ducklings!! Kudos to you and your husband
    Love this. Baby animals of any kind are sooooo cute!
    We live near a duck pond and love seeing the babies waddling around.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl
    That is so cool and made me smile You're one great couple to take care of the mama duck and her ducklings!! Kudos to you and your husband
    Thank you! mama duck is not always gracious, and when she was sitting on her eggs, we left her alone and didn't use the patio, I fed her veggies since she was only away twice a day for 30 minutes, I figured she could have a hard time eating enough during those short trips to the river. Her offsprings are nicer but I had to ask our youngest to refrain from "playing with them" because we don't want them to think all humans are nice. Funny thing is that mama duck and her husband visited us one year ago, but didn't stay last year!
    My husband is not always happy about all the cleaning , but I can tell he cares too, he did install cameras that turn on the light if there is movement, when we discovered a weasel (how weird in a town!) was hunting in our garden at night. Hubby also got good at chasing those cats who jump the walls.. and scare our friends! Lucky so far the cats came when he was home, I'm not fast enough to run outside..
    Blessings all around...

You and your husband are a blessing to the precious ducks, and they in turn have been a blessing to y’all while you’re dealing with your health problems.

This is GOD-AWESOME ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal
    Love this. Baby animals of any kind are sooooo cute!
    We live near a duck pond and love seeing the babies waddling around.
    We love watching them! and they grow up so fast! I had no idea!! those past three days they lost most their brown feathers, we can see new colors now! and their wings are growing fast too!!our youngest is in the South to visit the grandparents, I've been sending her photos and videos because she said she missed the ducks!
    Quote Originally Posted by WANAGL
    Blessings all around...

You and your husband are a blessing to the precious ducks, and they in turn have been a blessing to y’all while you’re dealing with your health problems.

This is GOD-AWESOME ;-)
    Awesome is the word!!

But with the heat wave coming back, we received instructions yesterday to limit all water consummation, I will have to get really creative to clean all their messes with less water...