Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sandra3

Day 13: complications

Rate this Entry
On Wednesday early evening, I had a friend over, we were walking in the garden when I suddenly had a really acute belly pain. Was so weird! It started around 6PM, when I was drinking water.

My last small meal was at 4 PM, dinner at noon etc..so I went first to the ER next to home, then after two hours, since they were doing nothing, I remembered my surgeon wrote his mobile number on one of the script, so I called him.

I could barely talk the pain was so bad, he said to come back to Paris immediately...a two hours drive...it was a very long drive. But after one hour, I started to feel a little better.
Since I had been vomiting and had also diarrhea, as soon as I arrived the surgeon who came to meet me at 11PM asked the staff to put me under observation, and get me an IV for hydration but also with a painkiller.

The next day I had an MRI with injection of contrast, plus drinking contrast.
If I had an obstruction, it was all gone, and good news, nothing was damaged, so I didn't need surgery.

We have no idea what happened. The surgeon said I was eating "food too dense" and I did tell him everything I was eating that day was the same as the other days! soupy consistency, so I don't think that was the issue.
I'm guessing it could have been that horse pill I started to take that very same morning (prescription from the surgeon to "protect" the gallbladder) because it did feel like it was getting stuck when I was taking it.
Also I had some red spots on my skin and suspect some kind of allergy...could be the fish?
My surgeon thinks something got stuck and got dislodged with the car vibrations...

So anyway, after that incident, that was so painful, I decided to stay a few more days on full liquids. My new protein powder finally arrived and does taste awful...I was in hospital from Wednesday evening to Friday afternoon, more money out....I just hope that was the last issue! I'm not taking the horse pill again!!
We'll see about it when my first post-op appointment clears me for "all food" in August!

Submit "Day 13: complications" to Digg Submit "Day 13: complications" to del.icio.us Submit "Day 13: complications" to StumbleUpon Submit "Day 13: complications" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Oh Sandra, how awful for you. Thank goodness it resolved itself. Shame you had to make the long journey though. At least your surgeon sounds on to it.
    Fingers crossed for a incident free rest of your recovery.
    Sorry you just can't seem to win lately. Glad it was nothing serious (except the pain and $$) and pray it doesn't happen agin.

Does the doctor have any suggestions to replace that huge pill? Can it be crushed? Or in liquid form?

Good luck!
    So sorry you had to go through this...
    Please let this be the last thing that did not go as planned!
    You deserve to feel great by now, this battle has been long enough...
    xoxo
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal
    Oh Sandra, how awful for you. Thank goodness it resolved itself. Shame you had to make the long journey though. At least your surgeon sounds on to it.
    Fingers crossed for a incident free rest of your recovery.
    That was a really violent experience and I also hope it won't happen again! I was really lucky my surgeon was pro active in my treatment, he said those acute episodes can be deadly, and he was ready to operate right away if I was still in pain, because he was sure it was an obstruction. I'm very lucky I didn't have to go under the knife again!
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    Sorry you just can't seem to win lately. Glad it was nothing serious (except the pain and $$) and pray it doesn't happen agin.

Does the doctor have any suggestions to replace that huge pill? Can it be crushed? Or in liquid form?

Good luck!
    An obstruction is often fatal if not treated on time, I was very very lucky it went away by itself. My surgeon was worried.

I couldn't take the pill at the hospital the second day post-op, so my doc said to wait and try again in one week. I tried to cut it too but the taste is so awful I can't swallow it, and no liquid version for that one.
    After the second MRI my surgeon said that since I don't have any stone and my gallbladder looks ok, we'll discuss it again during my first post-op.

I think all my GI track has been really damaged with so many months of awful reflux, my surgeon said my phmetry was the highest he has ever seen. I'm guessing I will need more time to heal because everything is swollen...I'm just going to follow my instinct and stay on full liquid longer to avoid risks....and stay far away from pills (and fish too..)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie
    So sorry you had to go through this...
    Please let this be the last thing that did not go as planned!
    You deserve to feel great by now, this battle has been long enough...
    xoxo
    My poor husband is so so stressed out right now!

I do think that so many months of raging reflux did damaged my GI track and that's probably the main issue and why I had a complication in the first place.

I was relieved nothing was damaged after my episode because I was really scared of going under again, so close from last surgery.
    Hopefully if I stay on liquids longer (and don't follow the guidelines) and far away from pills I should be fine.

Now my back is killing me after so much stress of sleeping seating for 7 months, I was able to sleep in my bed starting last week but lying down in a bed is actually painful now, my back used to be in an other position for so long. I hope I will be pain-free at some point because this is getting very old...
    So glad that it wasn't anything serious!
    Sandra,

I’m sooo sorry you’re experiencing this.

Sending All Good Thoughts and Prayers for a speedy recovery from all these complications.

I can empathize with the frustration of fixing one problem and having another pop up.