Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Nomoreweighting

The last supper?

Rate this Entry
I love food...the colors, textures, flavors and different ways to prepare and enjoy food. Guess you can say i am a foodie. I am also aware that my relationship with food will have to change to be successful not only in the amount of food I eat, but the type of foods I eat. I am ok with that because I know it comes with the territory of having the sleeve but in the last week realizing this, I have been indulging myself in those meals and the foods I will probably be able to never eat again in certain volumes or because of the calorie content. Example: a Wendy’s double cheeseburger. (I didn’t say i was a fancy foodie &#128514 With 5+ months of required nutrition and weight management counseling and appointments to go, I figured it’s better to do it now so I can get it out of my system. Unfortunately....or maybe fortunately I did not enjoy some of those meals, which typically were things I could/would not prepare at home. So after the last failed attempt with Jamaican food I decided to just keep my money in my pocket and my ass in my kitchen fixing my own food.

Submit "The last supper?" to Digg Submit "The last supper?" to del.icio.us Submit "The last supper?" to StumbleUpon Submit "The last supper?" to Google

Tags: foodie Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You will find being a "foodie" you will be able to prepare amazing meals focusing on protein and veggies. Fast food may be an occasional treat, but soon you will laugh at what you used to eat at those places. I would say you will never be able to eat a double cheeseburger again. At over 5 years I can eat a small kid's burger, say a cheeseburger from McDonald's, but that's it. Sometimes I can't finish it. And only when I'm on a road trip, I would never stop at a fast food place otherwise.

My relationship with food totally changed. If you had told me 6 years ago I would never be able to eat meat or fish again, I would have said no problem. I got fat because I loved carbs. But now meat and fish, along with veggies, are the staples of my diet. And no way do I miss anything, because I don't deprive myself of anything. If I want something I'll have a little taste. It's too much fun being a regular sized person to go back to my old life.
    Not to encourage bad habits or anything, but I eat Wendy's jr. bacon cheeseburgers all the time. And whopper jr, whataburger jr, McDonald's cheeseburgers. I even order the bigger sandwiches, but they take me a bit longer to eat. I maintain my weight around the 115 mark eating anything I want. I do not deny myself anything. You'll still be able to eat anything you want. Our tummies are smaller, so you won't be eating as many calories. It's great!
    Sharon is right - I've learned to rethink many of my incredible recipes for ethnic foods and family favs -- and when I go out,, I can find something to eat that does not include empty carbs (likek white bread) or extra fat (like processed cheese foods)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrina
    Not to encourage bad habits or anything, but I eat Wendy's jr. bacon cheeseburgers all the time. And whopper jr, whataburger jr, McDonald's cheeseburgers. I even order the bigger sandwiches, but they take me a bit longer to eat. I maintain my weight around the 115 mark eating anything I want. I do not deny myself anything. You'll still be able to eat anything you want. Our tummies are smaller, so you won't be eating as many calories. It's great!
    But then you throw up. Just concerned, not judging or anything. Not to mention I would love to weigh 115.
    There are lots of great sites that have a load of bariatric friendly versions of "normal" recipes.
    Just Google bariatric recipes. Bariatric cookery, Bariatric foodie, The world according to egg face are all good ones.
    You will soon get the hang of what foods/ingredients you can and can't tolerate and/or choose to eliminate from your food choices. You will find that you will be able to adapt most, if not all of your favourite meals and still get the same great tastes without the extra ingredients that you want to do without.
    I was always cooking and eating a pretty balanced diet, my issue before the sleeve was eating too much in general, and too much carbs also (I had IBS since I became obese, couldn't eat many veggies or I would get very sick, carbs was the easy way). And eating way too much chocolate.

I still eat carbs, but watch the quantity. I monitor my chocolate intake. My IBS was gone almost entirely a few weeks after the sleeve. I do have a few set back with medication but now I can eat many veggies, raw is fine too.

I am, from what I've been told, a good cook. For health reasons I was never making fried food or using lots of cream, butter or gravy. I never liked fast food. So I lost weight eating the same thing, only enjoying more veggies and salad, which made me very happy.

What was also great after the sleeve, I was eating so little and saving so much on food I could indulge on expensive ingredients and keep the same food budget.

Right now since I can eat more in quantity, I eat more veggies to fill up the plate which is great!! At 3 years out, I eat 1/3 to 1/2 plate, depending on the food.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    You will find being a "foodie" you will be able to prepare amazing meals focusing on protein and veggies. Fast food may be an occasional treat, but soon you will laugh at what you used to eat at those places. I would say you will never be able to eat a double cheeseburger again. At over 5 years I can eat a small kid's burger, say a cheeseburger from McDonald's, but that's it. Sometimes I can't finish it. And only when I'm on a road trip, I would never stop at a fast food place otherwise.

My relationship with food totally changed. If you had told me 6 years ago I would never be able to eat meat or fish again, I would have said no problem. I got fat because I loved carbs. But now meat and fish, along with veggies, are the staples of my diet. And no way do I miss anything, because I don't deprive myself of anything. If I want something I'll have a little taste. It's too much fun being a regular sized person to go back to my old life.
    Sharon, (sorry if that’s not your name) just needed to mention that as a newbie to this forum and almost two weeks out for my 2/5 surgery date your responses in this forum are so heartfelt and informational and I hang onto every word you write. Thanks for making me less nervous!!
    Thanks DebF, and yes I'm Sharon. I remember all the people here who helped me early on, it's fun to "pay it back."

I still remember shortly after surgery calling the nurse and crying over the phone that I wasn't eating much of anything and wasn't losing weight! So I've been there, done that. Now I laugh about it because everyone seems to go through those early stalls.
    It always makes me chuckle, terms like "my last meal" or "my last supper"...
    You are not on death row, but embarking on a very exiting journey into a healthy, new life!
    My experience with food post-WLS is in line with what most of the folks above have said.

I LOVE food! And I enjoy food now even more than I did before being sleeved 4.5 years ago. The difference is that now I prepare and eat food that is much more interesting and delicious than the food I used to eat out of habit ... BAD habits.

Part of my increased pleasure is that I now choose specifically what I'm going to eat and eat it much more slowly and mindfully (paying attention to the tastes) than I did when I was just eating anything to "feel full." And believe me, "full" used to require a lot more food than it does now.

I know it's hard to appreciate or understand how this could change for those of us who used to self-medicate with food to numb ourselves.

Most of us for whom WLS is our last resort have a lot of bad habits to overcome. But the good news is that habits can be changed by consistent practice. Even for those of us who NEVER were able to overcome those bad habits pre-op.

If you have WLS you'll also have a chance to experience this. It's not a guarantee, since you do have to work at it. But the difference this time is that when you work at it, it's easier to be victorious than it was every other time we tried to overcome our bad habits.

Very best wishes to you!