Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

NancyAlu

How fast should I be losing weight?

Rate this Entry
I had surgery on December 17th and have only lost around 13 pounds, should I be concerned that it's not enough? Is it true that drinking water and the right amount of protein helps lose weight? Any tips to help me do better?

Submit "How fast should I be losing weight?" to Digg Submit "How fast should I be losing weight?" to del.icio.us Submit "How fast should I be losing weight?" to StumbleUpon Submit "How fast should I be losing weight?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

13 pounds in 3 weeks sounds pretty good to me!
    I lost 10 pounds my first month post-op. You're not even at a month yet!

I know it's a trite truism, but this journey really is NOT a sprint, but a marathon. How fast you lose isn't important. What's important IMHO is that as you're losing weight you start building GREAT NEW habits and a healthy lifestyle that will help you sustain your weight loss forever more.

The sleeve will help you lose the weight. But YOU have to change your life in order to keep the weight off.

Just re-read what I wrote above and do realize how preachy it sounds. Sorry about that. But it's all true.
    Ann2 is correct - and it didn't sound preachy to me - just good common sense.
    As long as you are following your surgeons instructions, concentration on getting good protein into you first, drinking lots of water - and I mean lots, sipping all day long (apart from around your meal times of course) and getting some exercise all will be well. You body will decide the rate which you lose.
    As Ann2 said this is not a sprint. I took 12 months to get to my goal and am now 16 months out and the good habits that I now have are helping the maintenance tick along just nicely.

You are doing just fine :-)
    Everyone loses at their own pace. No two people will lose exactly the same even if they do the exact same things. In my opinion, the worst thing you can do is stress about the weight loss and if you are losing fast enough. I say this because 1...stress can wreak havoc on your body and 2...even if the scale is not moving your body is still changing and inches are melting. I wish more people would enjoy the journey. When was the last time you lost 13 lbs so easily? So relax, breathe, and enjoy the ride.
    I lost 13 lbs my first week and not even an ounce the second. I was more concerned about what the scale was saying than the fact that I wasn't getting my protein in or my fluids. Not getting those in will stall your loss and so will lack of rest. You will have good weeks and bad weeks. Don't focus on the numbers on the scales but the way you feel and look. Take pictures and try on clothes.
    All the above - tried and true - I lost pretty quickly, but wasn't as good about my protein as I should have been -- and now I am extremely conscious of protein, water, good carbs and vitamins! It makes such a long term difference.

And unlike other weight loss plans, this truly is a lifetime commitment. As Ann said, MARATHON, I try not to get number crazy, but its a tough change!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    I lost 10 pounds my first month post-op. You're not even at a month yet!

I know it's a trite truism, but this journey really is NOT a sprint, but a marathon. How fast you lose isn't important. What's important IMHO is that as you're losing weight you start building GREAT NEW habits and a healthy lifestyle that will help you sustain your weight loss forever more.

The sleeve will help you lose the weight. But YOU have to change your life in order to keep the weight off.

Just re-read what I wrote above and do realize how preachy it sounds. Sorry about that. But it's all true.
    Ann not preachy at all -- just simply and honestly stated, as you always are. Clarity is a great tool in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG
    Ann not preachy at all -- just simply and honestly stated, as you always are. Clarity is a great tool in the process.

Annie,

I am glad I read this because I was losing well an even over Christmas too. And then in the last 7 or 10 days I started going up and down 1 pound. That makes me so upset.

I am at 900/800 cal and 75/80 gr of protein and less than 50 gr
    of carbs. Walking 30 min a day except Sundays. I did that for the last 6 weeks.

It is not a marathon, but what is wrong? Is it normal to stop loosing or fluctuating at 10 weeks? I will continue to press on.
    Stalls will happen along the way. Sometimes your body just needs to catch up with itself.
    Just keep to your programme and all will be well.
    All of the above.
    And there is no "should".
    Your body, your path, your pace.
    You are doing very well, IMHO.
    Better than I did so far out.
    Take a deep breath
    Stop getting on the scale everyday
    You're doing well. Let your body heal through this surgery
    Be patient
    You're doing find, stay the course.