Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

sweetie1220

weight gain, helllp

Rate this Entry
sweetie1220 - Today 04:24 PM
Edit Report
Well I have regained 60 or the original 80 lb lost...in a little over four years. My therapist thinks there was not enough therapy done prior to the surgery which was done when my life was a lot hectic with caregiving etc. i have gained weight by eating slider foods, the restriction is still there. I drink at times too soon after eating especially when out so not to look too different. I am addicted to carbs/sweets. I never settled my addiction problems prior to the surgery. I need help..Please no criticism or mean posts as not good for some one with depression.

sweetie1220 - 01-22-2016 01:14 PM
Edit Report
I have gained over 14 lbs, and I am not getting much protein in...sleeve seems to have grown, can get too much food in, not enough liquids(water), no exercise, lots of slider foods...can someone help or give advice...please no criticism...thanks

Submit "weight gain, helllp" to Digg Submit "weight gain, helllp" to del.icio.us Submit "weight gain, helllp" to StumbleUpon Submit "weight gain, helllp" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Go back to basics, protein shakes twice a day and a low-carb high protein dinner, plan snacks, write down goods, change behaviors with mindful eating. Don't let it get too out of hand as it's harder and harder to get back on track, but you can do it with determination and diligence. This isn't a miracle, just a tool. Life does get in the way sometimes, but you had the surgery for a reason, now you just have to "lean into the new lifestyle" and take control over the patterns you're slipping into. Not easy to do, but necessary for success both short-term but more importantly long-term. You can do it, you just have to be dedicated to the lifestyle!
    Good luck!
    I had a similar experience with weight gain post surgery 4.5 years. What has worked for me is returning to Weight Watchers.
    I have been off and on every WW program from 1991 to 2013 (date of my surgery). I became lifetime member in 1994 but was never able to get back down to goal weight after 1997 when LIFE got in the way of my plans. Every year when WW tweeked its program, I returned in hopes of the magic cure. Post surgery, I had divested myself of pounds of WW literature gathered over the years as I never considered rejoining.
    Fast forward to 2018: In January I came to terms with my weight situation and went back to WW. What I found was a program that matched the guidelines of post surgery eating and which was very easy for me to follow. I adhered to the program, never ate any of the WW processed food products so many rely on to keep up their junk food eating patterns, and for my efforts, I lost weight every week for 26 weeks, then I again reached my WW goal. I am now 9 lbs under my WW goal weight and actually had to ask my leader how to stop losing. Once goal was reached and maintained, I no longer have to pay to attend nor to use their wonderful mobile app that tracks my food and exercise (Fitbit and iPhone compatible). I keep going to meetings because it reinforces my new lifestyle.
    For me, the restriction provided by the surgery has made the program successful. The program can work for anyone without surgery, but battling feelings of deprivation and/or being hungry is the problem for many of us. WW has a list of 200 free foods that are allowed without counting against your daily points quota so if hunger gets to you, just hit the list which includes chicken, fish, eggs, most veggies, and whole fruits (no juices nor smoothies which are uber high in sugars). Most days my breakfast, lunch and dinner choices are of made primarily from list healthy free foods that I supplement with those things that count against my daily 23-point allotment; like a glass of red wine at dinner, a muffin or a piece of lightly buttered toast for breakfast, and full fat salad dressings at lunch. My VSG restriction kicked in after a few days on the program so even if I make an occasional splurge ( birthday cake or other food necessitated celebration) only a small amount is consumed.
    I may sound like a WW spokesperson but am not. I'm just someone who benefited by their program, who prefers to limit consumption of processed food with more than 5 ingredients, and who has always found most WW recipes delicious. I have never had to deprive myself of any food I wanted and never been hungry on this current plan. It is a lifestyle not a diet as their logo claims. For me, VSG tool made this possible.
    The new program to be released soon promises to no longer advocate addition of any artificial
    ingredients to their products and their recipes. I'm interested. We'll see.
    Perhaps more info than you wanted but then you did ask for help ; )
    Good luck in finding what works for you.

P.S. Premier protein shakes are only 2 points on this program. That helps me a lot!
    I did Weight Watchers too when I couldn't drop a stubborn 5 pounds I gained after an injury. As a lifetime member (way back in the 80's), I only had to pay for a few weeks until I got back to goal. Now I still attend once a month to keep me accountable. And I do drink those 2 pound shakes. You're right, Weight Watchers is now basically exactly how we are to eat with a sleeve. And it's so easy because we have a magic tool to control the hunger.

As far as gaining back 60 pounds you explained in the post exactly how it happened. Getting back to following every rule of the sleeve will help you lose the weight again. You have the restriction, you can do it! Start with protein at every meal, it will fill you up. Take your vitamins, don't drink with meals (I promise, no one notices), and start exercising. Just getting outside for a walk always makes me feel better physically and mentally, it really helps with stress. Then be sure you are getting professional help for your depression. My psychiatrist never has people with mental health issues go off their medication because of sleeve surgery. I hope you are seeing a therapist.

As for being addicted to carbs/sweets, that is a problem most of us had, that's why we were fat. At least in my case I know that was my problem. Probably not a mental health issue there, just something we all have to learn to deal with by making a conscious effort to change to a healthy lifestyle.

Best of luck to you. I know if you get back to eating how you should, get more active, and get some help for your depression you will do great!
    I am sorry to hear about the weight gain. I know that has to be frustrating. You will need to detox from carbs. The more carbs you eat the more you crave them. I would suggest attempting to do a liquid diet with low carb protein shakes to help you get back on track and detox from the carb addiction. Then go back to the basics like how you were taught tot eat in the beginning. You already know the restriction is still there so you should be successful if you can just stop that craving. I wish you lots of luck and success on your attempt to kick the carbs.