Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sandra3

My new bike and I..

Rate this Entry
One month ago, when the nurse said my scars were healed enough to be a little more mobile, I decided to get a stationary bike.

I got a great bike two years ago (tricycle!!) and it did follow me in the move but I was too weak to get outside mid August, and it was way too hot anyway....plus soon it will be cold and dark at night when we come back from work...and I was hoping to just find a way to exercise more on the long run..I think that just walking during the day won't help me lose my last "cortisone kilos which have been stuck since January" so I need to exercise a little more after work.

I love that new stationary bike. I had a good one when we were in DC but I left it at Goodwill the day of the move because the truck was already full, plus I didn't like the seat much, a little too hard but also the angle was kind of weird....but with those extra 100 pounds, at the time nothing was easy...

This new toy is much nicer, seat is comfy and bigger (or actually my behind is smaller but let's say the seat is better quality ) and also even if I decide to exercise when we watch something on the big screen, it's completely silent so it doesn't disturb anyone. The fork is a little too high for my current condition but when I will be back to normal that should not be a problem anymore.

Well, so far I only used it 3 times, because it was delivered when I was 3 weeks post-op, when my iron level started to fall to it's lowest. And twice I almost injured myself because exercising was actually draining me and I was on the edge of fainting on the bike! My GP said to wait...

So my youngster has been exercising to keep me company when I watch something...today I was finally the one on the bike!!
I'm better since the iron infusion onThursday but not back to normal yet. It could take up to 3 weeks to get my levels balanced so I guess I have to be patient to see more improvement: five minutes after the beginning of the infusion I could breeze better, but many symptoms (tachycardie, pain in the lungs etc) are still there....but those little 6 minutes on the bike felt great!! (hubby was next to me in case I would collapse again) ...can't wait to be mid October and be hopefully back to normal!

Submit "My new bike and I.." to Digg Submit "My new bike and I.." to del.icio.us Submit "My new bike and I.." to StumbleUpon Submit "My new bike and I.." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That sounds good!
    I hope you have a speedy recovery and that you can take long rides very soon!

off topic: where in France do you live Sandra?
    We will be travelling through France in a couple of months, on our way to Morocco, where we will hibernate this winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve
    That sounds good!
    I hope you have a speedy recovery and that you can take long rides very soon!

off topic: where in France do you live Sandra?
    We will be travelling through France in a couple of months, on our way to Morocco, where we will hibernate this winter.
    Thank you! I hope I will recover fast too, I did some light housekeeping today and it drained me like a 10K, I still feel exhausted, this is ridiculous, I 'm back at work tomorrow!

I work in Paris but live in the countryside, east of Paris. Are you having a stopover in France or are you staying a few days?
    We have amultiple stops in France, on our way to Spain.
    Our preferred route is the Route du Midi, Paris- Clermont Ferrand, Beziers- Perpignan.
    And we take the RN's, not the toll roads.
    We usually stop east of Paris and find a place to sleep near Disney.

Take it easy and listen to your body.
    Get well soon!
    Good on you for persevering with the exercise. Even a little every day will most certainly get you on the right path.....as long as you take your GP's advice and take things easy.
    Over Winter when the weather was just too horrible (and it was too dark) to venture outside for my daily walk I used an exercycle too. In front of the tv it is easy to get some exercise out of the way :-).
    Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Well done on the exercise Sandra, I do hope your levels improve soon :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve
    We have amultiple stops in France, on our way to Spain.
    Our preferred route is the Route du Midi, Paris- Clermont Ferrand, Beziers- Perpignan.
    And we take the RN's, not the toll roads.
    We usually stop east of Paris and find a place to sleep near Disney.

Take it easy and listen to your body.
    Get well soon!
    Thanks!
    I hope we can figure out a date to meet you won't be far!
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal
    Good on you for persevering with the exercise. Even a little every day will most certainly get you on the right path.....as long as you take your GP's advice and take things easy.
    Over Winter when the weather was just too horrible (and it was too dark) to venture outside for my daily walk I used an exercycle too. In front of the tv it is easy to get some exercise out of the way :-).
    Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Thank you!
    I was able to walk more yesterday since I was back at work, I have to take it easy, I'm out of breath quickly, it's one of the side effect of that bad anemia, and the iron infusion can take up to 3 weeks to really quick in. I did a few linutes of bike last night but was not pushing myself, I'm still tired so fast...my youngest say I'm like a grandma right now, it's actually really accurate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    Well done on the exercise Sandra, I do hope your levels improve soon :-)
    Thanks Stacey, It's getting better little by little..I was able to walk a little more than 6 kms yesterday, which is more than I did in one week since surgery...was exhausted last night...but I just hope it will continue to improve..
    Be sure to take it easy and follow your doctor's advice, doing too much too soon could result in injury and you don't want that. Baby steps! Feel better!
    That is awesome. I like being able to exercise while watching tv like using the treadmill or exercise bike. I think it helps a lot and you still get to watch shows with your family! Happy you found one you like. Hope you feel better soon and can start enjoying it more.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    Be sure to take it easy and follow your doctor's advice, doing too much too soon could result in injury and you don't want that. Baby steps! Feel better!
    Thanks Sharon for your good wishes! No worries I was cleared by the doc...but anyway was not really doing much on the work out side those past too weeks, it has been a slow process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    That is awesome. I like being able to exercise while watching tv like using the treadmill or exercise bike. I think it helps a lot and you still get to watch shows with your family! Happy you found one you like. Hope you feel better soon and can start enjoying it more.
    Thanks Christie!
    it's baby steps lately..but getting there!
    Cool! I needed to see this. I'm successfully ignoring my stationary bicycle. I am determined after the onslaught of holidays and family to get back to Planet Fitness.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG
    Cool! I needed to see this. I'm successfully ignoring my stationary bicycle. I am determined after the onslaught of holidays and family to get back to Planet Fitness.
    Hi Annie!
    I would suggest to actually get on your bike 5 mns per day starting right now if you can! It does not take long to feel improvement in balance and mobility with just a few minutes per day. Plus it's also increasing slowly your muscle mass...and your energy expenditure!! If you start now you can indulge without worries during the holidays
    Saying that...I currently have a very bad laryngitis and I've been off my feet since Sunday...can't wait to go back on the bike...feels less guilty to watch TV that way!
    Good for you for finding an exercise you like! We're opposites, I can't stand exercising indoors, but we get the same results. That's the key, finding what works for you.

I was just in Paris. OK, only the airport, but I was there!

Hope you're feeling better than when you wrote this post. Remember "baby steps!" Like 5 minutes on the bike one day, maybe 10 the next, etc. Best of luck to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    Good for you for finding an exercise you like! We're opposites, I can't stand exercising indoors, but we get the same results. That's the key, finding what works for you.

I was just in Paris. OK, only the airport, but I was there!

Hope you're feeling better than when you wrote this post. Remember "baby steps!" Like 5 minutes on the bike one day, maybe 10 the next, etc. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks for your message!!

Paris airports are horrible. We went pick up and drop out our daughter who's in college in October, was Orly (we usually use only CDG since we mostly fly outside Europe) but her college is in Europe...parking took a long time, many flights got in really late...it was really messy and so so late!!..I hope you had better luck!

My health has been complicated for the past three weeks. I actually love to walk or hike outdoor but as soon as it gets cold, my asthma doesn't allow me to do efforts in the cold..so I do open a little my window for some fresh air when I exercise, but not too much so it doesn't get too cold.

I'm on baby steps going backward half of the time since July...for the past two weeks my lungs are so infected any effort outside gives me an asthma attack...got two in the train on Wednesday...can't wait for my medication to finally work!!
    Have a good weekend!