Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

erc70

hi again,

Rate this Entry
Hi everyone, I have been gone from this post for a few weeks now. Just life getting in the way. I am 3 months and a half out after gastric sleeve. I am down 27 lbs since surgery day. I did not experience losing my appetite at all, I still crave sweets, mostly chocolate and ice cream. My NP told me I was doing okay for weight loss but I feel that I am going pretty slow. Do any of you deal with a very sweet tooth and if so, can you give me some healthy ideas? Also, I was having two protein bars a day and was told by my nutritionist to only have one. I was doing this because I felt like I was still hungry. Also, I am still having trouble getting my fluid intake. thank you in advance for any ideas you might have.

Submit "hi again," to Digg Submit "hi again," to del.icio.us Submit "hi again," to StumbleUpon Submit "hi again," to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Re liquids, you just have to sip, sip, sip every day until you get it all in. You'll feel SO MUCH BETTER when you finally get all your water in. Really. Give yourself that gift. You can do it.

Re the sweet tooth ... it's a hard truth, but the fewer sweet things you eat, the less you'll crave sweet things. It's odd how that works. But there's SO much research that says sweets make us crave sweets. And I can testify, based on my own anecdotal experiences, that it's true.

Best to you. Keep moving forward.
    Do you have acid reflux? acid can feel like hunger when it's not treated. I took a PPI for several month, now just take an antiacid made of calcium but when I eat something too spicy, acid if it's not too bad can feel like hunger.

Regarding sweets, I do agree with Ann. I do have to monitor my chocolate intake, and take really dark (85%) because I can't eat much since it's so strong, If I take like milk chocolate, I could eat too much...also I do have bad chocolate cravings when my iron is very low...is you blood work ok??

Regarding fluids, try to sip on things you like : I used to make iced herbal tea, or drink warm chicken broth. Something with a flavor, low on sugar will be easier to drink than just plain water. Also try different temperatures, I was able to drink more iced cold than warm, warm would make me gag...a little hot was better!

My surgeon used to say that even people who eat junk food will lose until month 9.
    After that it's all about balanced diet and exercise.
    So just don't worry, eat protein, veggies, little carbs, take your vitamins, drink as much as possible and you will be fine.
    Took me 2 years to reach my goal, and I didn't regain half of what I lost so far even if you don't lose each month, not regaining is already a victory, and you body will need time to catch up, stalls are needed, don't worry, keep you goal in mind when you crave sweets, it will help you focuse, you will be ok!

take care!
    Keep taking it one day at a time and don't beat yourself up about it. I agree with the other ladies, sip sip sip sip! I sip all day just so I can reach my fluid goals. Some days I do and some days I don't but I try each day to get it in. Before VSG, I only like my water room temp. After VSG, my water had to be ice cold even to just sip it. 6 months out, I'm back to drinking room temp. water. I've begin to add cinnamon sticks to my water to give it a different flavor and it's really good. As far as your sweet tooth, I would suggest drinking a protein shake by premier (I think they are sweet especially the peaches and cream). Another thing I would suggest is drinking Sytranx Nectars (Strawberry Kiwi is the best). This way you're getting in protein and killing that urge for something sweet. Hope this helps! A good luck on your journey!
    No excuses on liquids, you just have to do it!

Are you having protein first at every meal, then veggies, then fruits or good carbs if room? If you eat that way you shouldn't be hungry.

As far as craving sweets, if you drop them completely, you won't crave them. Really.

Best of luck to you! Congrats on 27 pounds already.
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyWade
    Keep taking it one day at a time and don't beat yourself up about it. I agree with the other ladies, sip sip sip sip! I sip all day just so I can reach my fluid goals. Some days I do and some days I don't but I try each day to get it in. Before VSG, I only like my water room temp. After VSG, my water had to be ice cold even to just sip it. 6 months out, I'm back to drinking room temp. water. I've begin to add cinnamon sticks to my water to give it a different flavor and it's really good. As far as your sweet tooth, I would suggest drinking a protein shake by premier (I think they are sweet especially the peaches and cream). Another thing I would suggest is drinking Sytranx Nectars (Strawberry Kiwi is the best). This way you're getting in protein and killing that urge for something sweet. Hope this helps! A good luck on your journey!
    I will give it a try. thank you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    Do you have acid reflux? acid can feel like hunger when it's not treated. I took a PPI for several month, now just take an antiacid made of calcium but when I eat something too spicy, acid if it's not too bad can feel like hunger.

Regarding sweets, I do agree with Ann. I do have to monitor my chocolate intake, and take really dark (85%) because I can't eat much since it's so strong, If I take like milk chocolate, I could eat too much...also I do have bad chocolate cravings when my iron is very low...is you blood work ok??

Regarding fluids, try to sip on things you like : I used to make iced herbal tea, or drink warm chicken broth. Something with a flavor, low on sugar will be easier to drink than just plain water. Also try different temperatures, I was able to drink more iced cold than warm, warm would make me gag...a little hot was better!

My surgeon used to say that even people who eat junk food will lose until month 9.
    After that it's all about balanced diet and exercise.
    So just don't worry, eat protein, veggies, little carbs, take your vitamins, drink as much as possible and you will be fine.
    Took me 2 years to reach my goal, and I didn't regain half of what I lost so far even if you don't lose each month, not regaining is already a victory, and you body will need time to catch up, stalls are needed, don't worry, keep you goal in mind when you crave sweets, it will help you focuse, you will be ok!

take care!

Thank you. such great advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    No excuses on liquids, you just have to do it!

Are you having protein first at every meal, then veggies, then fruits or good carbs if room? If you eat that way you shouldn't be hungry.

As far as craving sweets, if you drop them completely, you won't crave them. Really.

Best of luck to you! Congrats on 27 pounds already.

Thank you! Yes, I notice when i push the protein first I feel fuller longer.
    Same here on still craving sweets and some other junk foods. I'm working hard to ignore/dissipate those cravings. Lol! But I didn't lose the want for these items. Good Luck to you!
    In the early months I was always hungry and had to eat nibbles all day long. I could not eat much at a time so I had to eat frequently. I would take a bite of protein bar throughout the day. Would end up eating about half of it. I also would keep beef jerky on hand to nibble on. It was good protein and did not make me eat too much. As for the sweet tooth, I used to have 2-3 sugar free popsicles at night while watching tv. That seemed to help my sweet tooth.