Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Jlynn

Anyone else in pain?

Rate this Entry
Hi. I am 4 weeks post op. My surgery was in Mexico so I don't have anyone I feel I can turn to so I'm REALLY hoping someone can help me!
I did have a hiatal hernia repair done at the same time, so I don't know if that is exacerbating my symptoms. My abdomen hurts Every Day. I still can't bend or sleep on either side without extreme discomfort or burning sensation. Am I overreacting? Do I need to give it more time? I can eat, and drink with no problems. I've never had any fever or bowel issues either. I've tried Tylenol Rapid Release but it has never had any impact at all. I'm hesitant to take any NSAIDs at this point.
I'm Really Hoping to hear about post op pain experiences!

Submit "Anyone else in pain?" to Digg Submit "Anyone else in pain?" to del.icio.us Submit "Anyone else in pain?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Anyone else in pain?" to Google

Comments

I never had pain anything like that. We are all so different though, different physically, other conditions, perceptions of pain. But overall it sounds like something that needs seeing to so I suppose a local family doctor to check you out and refer you on if necessary. or is there a way you can call and discuss with your surgeon in Mexico?
    The thing is everyone has a different tolerance for pain, so that's a really difficult question to answer. I was not in pain at four weeks, I had been back to work for 2 weeks by then with no problems. I would ask your doctor. Don't take NSAIDs, doctor prescribed pain meds or Tylenol are really our only choices from now on.

Hope you're feeling better soon!
    Hi Jlnn, I am 2 weeks post op and I still have incisional pain. It's weird because it can change every couple of days, sometimes it is the incision in the middle but the last couple days it has been the incision on my right side, if i turn the wrong way or use my abdominal muscles I have a tearing sensation that burns. I just keep using my abdominal binder.
    Hello! I had surgery on 8/29, so about 12 days out, and it included a hiatal hernia repair. It was pretty painful the first few days but was able to be off pain meds and only on Tylenol within a few days. I still have a little incisional soreness when bending over or laying on my right side but other than that no issues with the surgery.
    I heard from others that I talked with that Hiatal hernia repairs can be a bit more painful than just the sleeve procedure alone. I didn't need it, and the pain really passed pretty quick, within a week. That it has gone as long as it has for you, I'd really recommend reaching out to your doctor to see if they have any ideas or concerns. Hopefully they will have a referral option stateside that can assist you or at least check to ensure there is nothing wrong. Hang in there, it's worth it in the end but it's a pain at the start...
    It's hard to compare different surgeries because we had different surgeons, meaning different techniques. For example I had only 3 incisions (2 visibles post-op since the main one was in my belly button).
    NSAID's are not a good idea so close from surgery, and if you take those you have to protect your sleeve with a PPI. But in general NSAID's are not recommended for sleevers.

If you have no fever at all it's pretty positive but you should consult a doctor anyway, that much pain after one month seems really unusual. Good luck and take care!!
    Thank you to everyone who responded. I am almost 8 weeks post op and finally feel like I may be on the mend. I finally found a surgeon who would consult with me. ( my surgery was in MX) My new surgeon wanted to do an EGD (camera down the throat) or exploratory laparoscopy. I was in so much pain and discomfort I was willing to do anything, but then I found out that my insurance wouldn't cover either procedure because they don't cover ANYTHING related to weight loss. Everyone's best guess is that during my gastric sleeve operation, they nicked either a muscle or a nerve. It could take up to 6 months to heal.
    This whole process is much more complicated than I ever thought it would be. I'm now trying to learn new and healthier ways of eating, trying to cope with food in social situations, and realizing this is a lifetime (not just for a year or two) commitment.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlee
    Hello! I had surgery on 8/29, so about 12 days out, and it included a hiatal hernia repair. It was pretty painful the first few days but was able to be off pain meds and only on Tylenol within a few days. I still have a little incisional soreness when bending over or laying on my right side but other than that no issues with the surgery.
    Did you have surgery in Mexico as well?
    Thanks for being transparent and seeking help. I am learning so much from everyone. My surgery is scheduled for next month in Mexico. Starting to feel nervous...... What did you take with you?
    Oh thats a shame, it dd seem unusual for you to still be in pain a month out. I hope you are feeling a little better now? You will get used to dealing with food in social situations etc, that just comes together with time along with choosing healthier options. I hope if you are still in pain that it fixes soon!
    I think I might hold the record on pain. (Duration of pain, not intensity)
    I had severe pain at my waistline for a full four months. I couldn’t even wear my much too big granny panties for four months. I was beginning to think I was going to have to live in moo moos for the rest of my life.
    The pain finally started to subside at 3.5 months. Now, at almost 5 months post op I can wear all of my clothes without noticeable discomfort. But, I still have to hold the seatbelt off my stomach when driving. And, after losing 50+ pounds, I am still more comfortable with nothing binding my stomach.

My doctor said it was probably due to some minor nerve damage that occurred during my surgery and that it would eventually go away.
    It was stressful but I’m 98% better now.
    Oh my word. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I was honestly thinking I might be crazy. I'm 9 weeks out and the pain is not as debilitating as it was but every day I am uncomfortable. I have searched and searched on line and I could not find anyone who had this type of experience. It seems like everything I read, they all said after 1 or 2 weeks they were fine and back to life. Since my surgery was in Mexico I did not have any follow up and he did not respond when I attempted to reach out. I saw a local surgeon and his best guest was just as you said, perhaps a nerve was nicked during the operation.
    I too couldn't stand to have any clothes touching me. I used the binder periodically, as it would sometimes exacerbate my symptoms. I still can't wear an underwire bra (as I recently and painfully discovered
    I do feel as though I am improving. I can now bend over (mostly), twist and turn and a Big bonus is being able to sleep on my side.
    Thanks again for responding. It really give me hope!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krstal02
    Did you have surgery in Mexico as well?
    I did. It was in Tijuana with Dr Alejandro Lopez.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krstal02
    Thanks for being transparent and seeking help. I am learning so much from everyone. My surgery is scheduled for next month in Mexico. Starting to feel nervous...... What did you take with you?
    My surgeon's office gave me a list of advisable supplies and what to bring. The Best advice they gave me was to wear a bra Without underwire. I have worn underwire for 20 years so I had to buy one, but even though I am 9 weeks out, I still can only wear that bra. I tried last week to wear underwire and I was even More miserable for 2 days after.
    I sincerely hope you are able to take a companion with you. THAT is the best accessory you can take When they say pack light, they really mean it. Think soft cotton tshirts, comfortable and loose skirts/pants. Nothing that will add extra pressure especially if you have a long flight.
    I was advised to bring GasX with me as they do not have that in Mexico and I definitely used that. My stomach just always felt so full and bloated it would help relieve that sensation.
    Good luck, and I hope you are finding everyone's comments helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlynn
    My surgeon's office gave me a list of advisable supplies and what to bring. The Best advice they gave me was to wear a bra Without underwire. I have worn underwire for 20 years so I had to buy one, but even though I am 9 weeks out, I still can only wear that bra. I tried last week to wear underwire and I was even More miserable for 2 days after.
    I sincerely hope you are able to take a companion with you. THAT is the best accessory you can take When they say pack light, they really mean it. Think soft cotton tshirts, comfortable and loose skirts/pants. Nothing that will add extra pressure especially if you have a long flight.
    I was advised to bring GasX with me as they do not have that in Mexico and I definitely used that. My stomach just always felt so full and bloated it would help relieve that sensation.
    Good luck, and I hope you are finding everyone's comments helpful.
    P.S. Also, a water bottle to have something to sip on the way home. The hotel provided complimentary soup and popsicles and water, so I didn't need to purchase any food while there.
    I would see my PCP just to be on the safe side. I don't think it's normal to have such pain after 4 weeks, but I'm not a doctor, and I've never had a hernia repair.

I had no insurance for bariatrics and went self pay at a nearby hospital, so always see my PCP now. She is very educated on the sleeve, knows what blood work to do when, etc. You shouldn't have a problem getting good follow-up care in the states. Good luck and feel better.
    My doctor and my nutritious said they had never heard of anyone having pain for so long. That wasn't reassuring. But by the 4th month it finally started to subside. It's only been in the past 3 weeks that my bra didn't cause me discomfort.
    I just had to ride it our.
    I am still most comfortable when all I have on is a moo moo!