Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

BarbyK

Am I one of the "slightly overweight" ?

Rate this Entry
I suppose I am one of those people who are only slightly overweight. I weigh 203 and am 5'1" tall. I have struggled with my weight for over half my life, I'm in my mid 60's. I have most of the co-morbidities that my insurance requires one to have to receive the surgery. I'm like others who are extremely obese, lose weight, gain weight, clothes too tight, you name it and I've been through it. I'm just done. Hopefully I'll have 20+ years of life left, and if I do, I want to be healthy to be able to deal with whatever God gives me. I thought this was funny, my practitioner asked how much I want to lose, I said maybe get down to 145. She said, why don't we try for 135? I never thought I might even have the opportunity to even think of being 135 again. So who knows. I may lose only 50 lbs or I might lose 70 or so. My weight has bothered me so much, just as much as someone who is 400 lbs. These reasons are why I'm having the sleeve. Scheduled for August 21! Have a great day, everyone!

Submit "Am I one of the "slightly overweight" ?" to Digg Submit "Am I one of the "slightly overweight" ?" to del.icio.us Submit "Am I one of the "slightly overweight" ?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Am I one of the "slightly overweight" ?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Welcome.

Keep reading. You'll find out how much living there is left to do at "our" ages. I was sleeved at age 68.

My life now is AMAZE-BALLS!
    Welcome, you will be amazed how much your life can change for the better with the Sleeve. I’ve lost 150lbs since 1-2017. If you exercise and follow your new diet you can loose as much as you need and want. I’ve been so amazed how you loose or how the weight comes off. It comes offf all over including my feet. So I could finally wear my old sizes and wear ladies shoes. All the best to you. Get ready to start living your Dreams again!!! H
    I'm pretty much the same demographics as you. I think I'll be happy at about 150. I'm sleeved on Monday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2
    Welcome, you will be amazed how much your life can change for the better with the Sleeve. I’ve lost 150lbs since 1-2017. If you exercise and follow your new diet you can loose as much as you need and want. I’ve been so amazed how you loose or how the weight comes off. It comes offf all over including my feet. So I could finally wear my old sizes and wear ladies shoes. All the best to you. Get ready to start living your Dreams again!!! H
    I am 64, very scrare, doing the procedure in October.
    How many older women have done tge procedure? How old were you at the time of the procedure?
    You will easily get to 135 at only 5'1". Probably less! Good luck! I was 57 when sleeved almost 5 years ago.
    It would be lovely to achieve 135... Good luck with your procedure!
    Good luck to you :-)
    I was 66 yrs old and was 54 lbs. over being "normal for my height. Best decision I ever made. Five years later I am down 8 lbs below my original target. I had no co-morbidities just high BM,I so I had to self pay. Because of concern for my age I had operation in USA, cost 20K out of my retirement fund, and I didn't fear any part of the procedure. My life started again once I made the decision to have it done.
    Good luck on your journey.
    I was 61 years old when I had the surgery, a diabetic, severe sleep apnea, and hypertensive along with just being old looking and tired. I am now 7 years post op, weighing a healthy weight, exercising and looking forward to the next chapter of my life. I have gained about 8 pounds from my lowest weight after surgery, but am happy at that weight and no longer take any prescription medications or suffer from co-morbidities. Life is wonderful and I feel younger than I did when I was actually younger; if that makes sense You'll never be sorry and I wish you luck!!
    Hi I am definitely around that range. I am 5'0 and 202 lbs. My surgery date is this Friday Aug. 3rd.
    You are not "slightly overweight" you are in the obese category. But not for long after the sleeve! Best of luck to you.
    I was 61 when I had surgery 7 years ago in July and have never regretted it a single moment. I'm now working in a large bariatric hospital as the assistant coordinator and loving life at 68, soon to be 69! I've never felt better, or had this much energy in I can't remember when...
    I agree with sraebaer, you are obese for your height and if you have no co-morbidities, you're smart to do this before they come on the scene; and believe me they probably would if not for the surgery at this point in your life.

I wish you continued success and this site is a lifesaver in the beginning and all throughout your journey!
    Hey Barby!

My mother in law is 70 and I wish she had the surgery before reaching the age where they don't do bariatric surgery in France. But since she is in remission, I'm not even sure she would have been allowed anyway, which is so wrong!

She hurts a lot, had knee surgery two years ago, only on one (in France they don't do both at the same time) and now she is so tired and always in pain from other joint pains she is always postponing to do the other knee.

I know that pre-op I had low energy, was always sick with viruses, had so many health issues, it really got so much better post-op!! of course it was not a walk in the park post-op, for a few weeks I was exhausted and had a few minor issues . But for many people it's easy, I'm just a complicated case for a surgeon.

Today being in you 60's is being young. If I was you I would not hesitate! You will enjoy life to an other level!
    But focus on nutrition, it is the key for a better health, especially post-sleeve.

Good luck and take care!
    I don't think you are too old at all. I had it 2 days ago and am doing fine. 10 more years or so of obesity will take a big toll on you. Now if you think you can do it without the sleeve, go for it. I just knew I needed some help.
    How my sleeve at 54 years young and I am happy I did it. I wanted to go from 262 to 130, but my Dr said 170 to 165 is better. My new goal is 150. I have been side tracked but I am getting back on target.
    I had the surgery 10 months ago at 65 - I set a goal of 130 - and I'm at 122, to my surprise. I had co morbidities, and very poor health.

I feel fabulous! I wish I had done it 10 years ago! This is a wonderful support group. I could not, in my case, done it without. I tried very hard and honestly for 10 years.
    Had mine in 2012 at age 54 kept it all off give or take 5 pesky pounds
    Hello everyone. I had my sleeve done January 3 2018 at 61 yrs old. I was 258.6 lbs this time last year and am now at 153 lbs and still going. BTW I am 5'6" tall. I had several weight related health issues that continued to multiply over the years. But now, I feel wonderful, eat great, can walk anywhere and do anything I set my mind to do. It doesn't matter how old you are, this surgery will help you live a healthier and longer life, knock on wood. Great job everyone going through this adventure. You can do it!!!