Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

SissyBlanco

Start at the Beginning

Rate this Entry
Hello,

Yesterday was interesting going in for the gastric sleeve consultation and ending up with a tentative surgery date of late September/early October. My friend said that it took 7 months to do her surgery. I was expecting 7 months to prepare for the life change; now I have 3. I don't know what I thought I would really do in the 7 months - perhaps lose all the weight, diabetes, blood pressure, get fit and not need the surgery? - perhaps binge eat out of anxiety even though I am not a big binge eater?

I am beginning to get more settled with the target surgery date. Why wait 7 months or 5 years or the next health crisis? The only hope is to make a real change and use the 3 months to prepare myself.

Some things I am doing:
> Baritastic app - using to track everything
> Plant Nanny app - using to track water
> Bariatric timer app - using to time when I can eat and drink so I start doing them separately
> Watch Me Eat app - slow down my eating process so that I chew everything well
> Preparing my food for the next day the night before - prevents me having to lose time in the morning
> Focusing on 30 minute exercise daily goal - could only do 10 minutes on the elliptical this morning. Will do more tonight. I cannot believe that I have gotten this out of shape since my knee injury last year.
> Deciding what 4 bites to take first to get ready for post-surgery meals
> Monitoring my blood sugar better thanks to Freestyle Libre (not an ad) and not having to stick my finger since I wasn't doing it anyway due to the pain.
> Reading, reading, reading - longevity after surgery, diabetes after surgery, 1st days after surgery, meal plans, product review, . . . .

I haven't told my husband yet about my appointment yesterday. I am not afraid to tell him because I know he will support me, but I am not ready for this to become the whole focus of our lives. I know I will have to tell him soon because they want him to come to the next meeting at the end of July.

I feel less shameful after the meeting yesterday. I learned that the surgery is a "disease treatment" for the diseases of diabetes and high blood pressure (metabolic syndrome). I learned that the diabetes would be over because the hormones and things that cause it are in the part of the stomach that is removed. I still don't have my head wrapped around that concept yet so I will continue to read online. Just the prospect of not having strokes caused by diabetes makes the surgery worth it. I could care less about appearance and even the weight loss. I just don't want to have strokes like my sister (at least 2) because of diabetes. Or lose my eyesight which is worsening, or my kidneys . . . . The only things I really want the weight loss for is to save my knees if possible, but I know that will only happen if I do the exercise to strengthen everything.

This is all a lot to take in. I am glad I found gastricsleeve.com so that I can read real experiences and hopefully have support.

Submit "Start at the Beginning" to Digg Submit "Start at the Beginning" to del.icio.us Submit "Start at the Beginning" to StumbleUpon Submit "Start at the Beginning" to Google

Tags: apps, spouse Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Planning for Surgery

Comments

Welcome. It sounds as though you are doing all the research and getting as prepared as you can which is just wonderful.
    I had 3 weeks between my first consult and surgery - I was self pay and saw no reason to wait. I was ready! The 3 weeks was the pre op diet that I had to do in preparation. I am now 10 months out and just loving my new life.
    I have to say that for a little while after the surgery my new way of eating did become the whole focus of my life. I needed to make this work and I certainly have worked/am working at it and will forever more. However once I was in the swing of things it became my new normal.
    There are lots of great people on this forum who are very happy to share their experiences so please ask any questions that may arise as you progress.
    There is a lot of info on here so read up and keep up the good work.
    Thank you so much! 3 weeks wow! I am glad that everything is going well with your transition.
    Hi, sounds like you are preparing well. Do ask lots of questions on here and welcome :-)
    Thank you for responding Stacey.
    Most people who have to wait 6 months are because they are going through their insurance. I had to wait and wish I could have done it right away. As for not having told your husband, I was the same. I had my first consult and didn't tell my husband until after I had it. I came home and sat down and told him. He told me if I was doing this for him not to. I blurted out, "I'm not. I'm doing this for me." It kind of shocked me at the time. I did not have to tell him right away because there was no requirement for him to meet with my surgeon. But I wanted to rip it off like a bandaid. I was nervous...embarrassed to tell him but I knew it was something I needed desperately. Best decision I ever made. I have only told my immediate family and a few close friends. I am pretty private about some things and don't need the judgement. I also told a friend of a friend who reached out to me on facebook. (She doesn't live near me.) She saw pictures and asked how I lost the weight. I told her the truth because I knew that she would probably want the surgery. (I texted with my friend first.)
    Welcome, you will learn so much here. I didn't really have any waiting time as I was self pay with no hoops to jump through. (I would have preferred insurance, but it was fun to get started ASAP.)

You have a great attitude, I love how you know what health issues this will help. For sure your knees will be much happier with less weight on them. Be careful with them now, maybe 30 minutes is too much. Don't make them worse.

PS. While I know your health is the most important, it's fun to look good in cute regular-sized clothes too.
    Thank you for your reply. I am glad that someone else had the struggle of when to make it known to their spouse. I have told mine now and he has been great with one exception. He has started critiquing what I am eating.
    We have been married 39 years and we don't do that to each other.
    I am having to be firm but kind with him. I hope it doesn't get worse.

Shari

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Most people who have to wait 6 months are because they are going through their insurance. I had to wait and wish I could have done it right away. As for not having told your husband, I was the same. I had my first consult and didn't tell my husband until after I had it. I came home and sat down and told him. He told me if I was doing this for him not to. I blurted out, "I'm not. I'm doing this for me." It kind of shocked me at the time. I did not have to tell him right away because there was no requirement for him to meet with my surgeon. But I wanted to rip it off like a bandaid. I was nervous...embarrassed to tell him but I knew it was something I needed desperately. Best decision I ever made. I have only told my immediate family and a few close friends. I am pretty private about some things and don't need the judgement. I also told a friend of a friend who reached out to me on facebook. (She doesn't live near me.) She saw pictures and asked how I lost the weight. I told her the truth because I knew that she would probably want the surgery. (I texted with my friend first.)
    Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    Welcome, you will learn so much here. I didn't really have any waiting time as I was self pay with no hoops to jump through. (I would have preferred insurance, but it was fun to get started ASAP.)

You have a great attitude, I love how you know what health issues this will help. For sure your knees will be much happier with less weight on them. Be careful with them now, maybe 30 minutes is too much. Don't make them worse.

PS. While I know your health is the most important, it's fun to look good in cute regular-sized clothes too.
    Some things I am doing:
    > Baritastic app - using to track everything
    > Plant Nanny app - using to track water
    > Bariatric timer app - using to time when I can eat and drink so I start doing them separately
    > Watch Me Eat app - slow down my eating process so that I chew everything well
    > Preparing my food for the next day the night before - prevents me having to lose time in the morning
    > Focusing on 30 minute exercise daily goal - could only do 10 minutes on the elliptical this morning. Will do more tonight. I cannot believe that I have gotten this out of shape since my knee injury last year.
    > Deciding what 4 bites to take first to get ready for post-surgery meals
    > Monitoring my blood sugar better thanks to Freestyle Libre (not an ad) and not having to stick my finger since I wasn't doing it anyway due to the pain.
    > Reading, reading, reading - longevity after surgery, diabetes after surgery, 1st days after surgery, meal plans, product review, . . . .

You're making great changes that will help you succeed post op - you clearly have the drive and determination to be successful. Congrats on the decision and what will be a healthy future for you!