Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Carol415

Protein Shakes and Vitamins

Rate this Entry
I have a surgery date in August and want to get some suggestions on what protein shakes people have tied and we’re worth buying? And does any take bariatric andvatics (might be spelled incorrectly) crystals for there vitamins? Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Carol

Submit "Protein Shakes and Vitamins" to Digg Submit "Protein Shakes and Vitamins" to del.icio.us Submit "Protein Shakes and Vitamins" to StumbleUpon Submit "Protein Shakes and Vitamins" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Everyone has different opinions on protein shakes. A good start is Premier Protein Shakes which you can get at Costco or Sam's Club. They come in packs of 12 and cost about $16.00. They are already made and ready to drink, 160 calories, 30 grams of protein and like 1 gram of sugar I think?

Another good one is just buy a plastic jug of Whey Protein. It is just protein powder and you can mix your own shakes at home, this will give you a little variety and a change from Premier Protein shakes. Costco and Sam's sell this as well as any GNC or nutrition store.

My advice is try all kinds and get a good variety because this will be a part of your life for a while and you will need the protein after surgery. Hope this helps! Good luck!!
    Sorry, double post!
    Here are my surgeon's requirements on protein shakes. Look under "Appropriate Supplements."

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

For multi vitamins I used the one-a-day ProCare Health. They come in a tiny chewable for early on. Now I take a capsule.

For Calcium Citrate I used Building Blocks Vitamins, they had a yummy orange chewable. It's almost impossible (when I was looking) to find an over-the-counter Calcium Citrate chewable. Now that I can swallow big pills I just get that from Walmart.

Both ProCare Health and Building Blocks Vitamins can be found online. My local grocery store carries the ProCare Health, but I think it is because it is right by the hospital!
    Hi Carol.
    Just don't buy large quantities of anything until you have tried them. Can be expensive if you find that you don't like something - or can't tolerate it. I purchased a large quantity of chewable vitamins only to find that they made me nauseous - capsules were fine. Also sometimes tastes change after surgery so be mindful of that.
    I agree with my friend Ms Kiwi, don't buy anything in very large amounts. I wasted sooooo much money!!!
    I had bariatric advantage that I liked pre op and did not like post op. I spent $55 on a big bag and then end up tossing it out. I like the EAS Advant Edge Low Carb. My nutritionist from my surgeon's office says they are approved for bariatric patients. It's all about the vitamins and minerals in protein shakes need to be looked at to see if they're good for WLS patients. A big favorite for a lot of people is Premier but for me they always made me feel a bit queasy. I say not to stock up on anything as your taste buds can change after surgery.