View RSS Feed

Dutchie

After 1,5 year

Rate this Entry
Last week was my 1,5 year surgiversary.
Time flies when you are having fun!

My sleeve does his job and so do I.
We are really a good team.

For the last couple of months I have maintained this weight, sometimes I weigh a bit more, sometimes a bit less.
And to be honest, I don't feel I have to do much to keep it like that.
My sleeve works itself, more or less.

I eat approximately between 1200 and 1300 calories per day, according to MFP.
That seems to work out fine for me.
So I'll just keep it that way.

So, what do I do?

- I still weigh myself every morning, I write it down once a week.
As long as I do that, I will not gain a couple of pounds "suddenly".
I stay vigilant.

- I weigh and measure my portions.
My sleeve can hold 3/4 cup or 6 oz of food.
One bite too many and I feel very unhappy.
I still take small bites, I even have a bariatric cutlery set.
I still want to take 30 minutes for my meal, that one is still difficult, I eat way too fast sometimes....

- I eat my proteins first, then my veggies, then my complex carbs, if there is still room.
Most of the times there is no room left voor my carbs, my proteins and veggies fill me up quite nicely.
I don't eat white flour(products), no sugar, pasta, white potatoes.
So only complex carbs and I stay away from highly processed foods as good as I can.

- I take my vitamins and supplements daily.
I don't miss a day.
Besides my multi I take extra calcium (I am old), B complex, iron and once a month vit. D.

- I don't drink with and after my meals.
When I am finished eating I wait at least 30 minutes (I actually time that), sometimes more, depending of the type of food I ate.
Dense proteins fill me up much longer than anything else.

- Although I don't work out vigorously, I make sure I walk a couple of miles every day.
Every once in a while I think I have to do more and then I do some weight training, but those urges never last long.
I do a lot of hiking as well.

- I drink at least 2 liters of water every day, more when we have warm weather.
But those 2 liters are the bare minimum.

I do nothing special to maintain this weight.
I don't eat cake or candy or cookies.
I still haven't touched alcohol.
Sometimes I steal some french fries from the people that I am dining with, but these don't taste like they used to.
Sometimes I make an unhealthy choice, but most of the times I don't even like it anymore.
White bread rolls or the original french baguettes don't taste like they used to, they have no taste anymore...
I don't eat potato chips, I do not trust myself with those things.
Ice cream are great, I don't eat much of those, maybe two or three times per year, I never ate much icecream.
But they still taste delicious!
I don't like junkfood anymore, I only taste the fat.
I still haven't eaten pizza...
That will happen some day.

Going out to lunch or dinner works great for me, I always have enough to choose from and I take the leftovers home.
Because I cannot eat very fast, my little portion last me the same amount of time, that my dinner partners do with their full grown meals.
I do request a small breakfast plate sometimes and portion my dinner out on the little plate.
My eyes are still bigger than my stomach and the daily weighing of my food helps me with my portion control.
I can guestimate pretty exact, how much my portion weighs.
But when I leave it all on my big plate, it is very easy to eat too much and afterwards I will be in pain...

And what else?
Not much, actually.
I eat what I want, within my boundaries.
I still have my 3 meals and 3 healthy snacks, but should I miss one, that is no problem.

I still do not feel hungry, like I used to feel.
I can feel, when it is time to eat something, but if I don't pay attention to that, the feeling will quickly pass.
It is absolutely not the same feeling of hunger as before the operation anymore.

So, I just keep doing what I am doing now, that suits me fine!
I wouldn't mind at all, to keep doing this for the rest of my life.

I am curious to see, what the future will bring!

p.s. can I call myself a veteran yet? LOL

Submit "After 1,5 year" to Digg Submit "After 1,5 year" to del.icio.us Submit "After 1,5 year" to StumbleUpon Submit "After 1,5 year" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Yep, you're a veteran! And doing so well! Your future is looking bright!

I love your advice to new people, you are extremely helpful.
    Thank you Susan, that means a lot to me!

I have to confess, that every time I think of pizza, I have to think of you! lol
    Is that a good or a bad thing, I wonder..
    Many congrats Dutchie :-)
    Oh this was wonderful this morning! I found lots of helpful tips, and de-stressed about some things.

I confess to pizza - we order a thin crust (from HungryHowies), and I get light cheese & mushrooms on half - let my husband go wild on his half. I eat it s l o w l y. It is fabulous, and if I feel wild, I add some of my own Canadian bacon.

I've been concerned about my maintenance,but your experience truly was heartening. I don't feel hungry any more, but can tell if my blood sugar is low (or I check it since I had Type II diabetes). I do, once in a while, a homemade 1/4 waffle -- a special treat.

I find protein easy, vegetables not quite as easy. And salad is a mystery to me these days!
    Yes, you are a veteran, and generous encourager as well.
    Thanks Edie!
    Isn't this fun?
    Thanks Annie!
    Ooohhh, Canadian bacon...
    I do not eat meat, but bacon...
    And being a Canadian by birth, I did eat a lot of it...

Isn't this a wondererous and interesting journey?
    I still can't get it, why some days you can eat all kinds of things without any trouble and the next day you just can't.
    Life and sleeves are full of surprises!
    Dutchsleeve, well done on your fantastic achievement and good advice that comes with it.
    Thank you Elllie!
    *blush*
    Wow thank you that sleeve this is a great post
    Congratulations! Such a great post. Love that you have embraced this tool and are making it work for you. Totally inspiring.
    Congrats Dutchie!! You are doing fabulously!! Very good advice! You are much stronger than me. I eat all foods occasionally...pizza included.
    Great post and great advice. Makes coming to this site worth it each and every day!! Thank you!!
    Thank you Tenloris!
    I am glad you liked it.
    KiwiGal: thank you!
    Yes, you are right, I did embrace my sleeve.
    I am still so grateful for its existence!
    Dear Christie: thank you!
    Your presence here on this forum is zo inspirational for me!
    North Sleeve: thank you, you're welcome
    I learn something new here every day.
    Great forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve
    Thanks Edie!
    Isn't this fun?
    Sooooo fun :-)
    Thank you for the post. Its nice to hear someone is doing well. Myself not so well. I cant eat much. No meat! No eggs! It all comes right up i cook dinner for my husband and get full or nauseated just by the smell. It is getting depressing. I think i will go to a support group tonight for the first time! This has been a hard 7 months! I have lost weight, but i feel if i dont start getting food in i wont survive. Im a nurse that. Works 12 to 13 hr shift. This is becoming impossible. I have no energy. Something has to change soon !!! Best of wishes to you!
    I'm sorry to hear you are struggling.
    What are you going to do to about it?
    Any plans?
    Over 6 years out - biscuits and gravy for breakfast (1/4th of what a normal serving is). Pizza, tacos, cookies whatever all in moderation. 108 weight during my twice monthly scale check in
    Thank you!
    That is very reassuring!
    Hi Dutchie! Thanks for the inspiration! It looks like you've got a well tuned sense of your body and your needs and are working it with ease! awesome!! xo

Brenda
    Thanks Brenda.
    Yes, it feels like my sleeve and I are in sync!