Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

AnnieG

CURIOUSER and CURIOUSER

Rate this Entry
Today has been one of those epiphany days (as opposed to theophany days, which I always enjoy more). In talking with a dear friend I was rather curious as to how she perceives me. Not offended mind you, just always surprised. She describes me as "devout and funny". Not. bad things, just unexpected.

How differently one perceives oneself as to how one is seen in the world, even among those who are close to us. My HS friends describe me as "sweet, kind and thoughtful". My college friends describe me as funny, intense, talented, adventurous. I would not describe myself in those terms ever. My cousins (I have 125 first cousins) describe me as "Miss Goody Two Shoes", which means I was apparently more clever then them as I did not get caught! My former bosses (with whom I am still in touch and friends) describe me as incredibly capable and compassionate, highly intelligent. My ex husband describes me as "mean and pretty". My current (last and lovely) husband describes as a good-hearted, lovely soul. My BFFs (Donna and Sharyl) deeply value our ability to keep the Las Vegas rule (what happens between us stays between us) for all these many years. Private matters, the things which we may be ashamed of doing or feeling or thinking. And the fun we have.

My epiphany is, not one said I was thin (which I was for many years) or fat (which I was for many years). No one mentioned I had lush thick black long hair, nor that I have sparse gray/white curls now. No one mentioned any of the things that I worried about.

The gift for me in this weight loss (beyond the joy of restored health) is that I feel more free to see myself -- my real person, rather than my appearance.

Hmm 66 years! One can still teach an old dog new tricks

You are all such gifts in my world.

Submit "CURIOUSER and CURIOUSER" to Digg Submit "CURIOUSER and CURIOUSER" to del.icio.us Submit "CURIOUSER and CURIOUSER" to StumbleUpon Submit "CURIOUSER and CURIOUSER" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. sraebaer's Avatar
    I so agree, who we are is not our weight. I would describe you as a friend, and I don't even really know you. Wouldn't it be fun to all get together sometime?

    My husband wants me to take my daughter's family wedding photo off the wall because I was fat. I refuse. That was still me, still the same person, and still a major happy family event. My weight doesn't define who I am. (Not that I'm not over-the-moon happy about finally being normal sized!)
  2. Ann2's Avatar
    Annie ... WHAT A GREAT POST!

    Perspective. It's everything.
  3. Stacey03's Avatar
    So true and lovely :-)
  4. MsLisa71's Avatar
    Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your experience.....we can all learn.
    God Bless you!
  5. DutchSleeve's Avatar
    Thank you Annie, for this wonderful post!
    I agree, we are so much more than our weight.
    But people seem to be really very superficial nowadays... in my opinion anyway.
  6. AnnieG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    I so agree, who we are is not our weight. I would describe you as a friend, and I don't even really know you. Wouldn't it be fun to all get together sometime?

    My husband wants me to take my daughter's family wedding photo off the wall because I was fat. I refuse. That was still me, still the same person, and still a major happy family event. My weight doesn't define who I am. (Not that I'm not over-the-moon happy about finally being normal sized!)
    I totally agree about the photo -- we are the spirit/soul and while it heals as we resolve the issues about self-soothing (for me anyway) with food, we just shine brighter than before!
  7. AnnieG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    So true and lovely :-)
    Thank you, Ann. I have to give credit to someone I counsel with -- he mentioned I had lots of deep suffering in my life, and honestly, I don't see it!

    I've had a charmed, wonderful life! The best IS yet to be!
  8. AnnieG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve
    Thank you Annie, for this wonderful post!
    I agree, we are so much more than our weight.
    But people seem to be really very superficial nowadays... in my opinion anyway.
    I genuinely cannot remember being "judged" by my weight, ever. That said, I get a lot of "skinny minnie" comments. Maybe they just didn't say Fatty McFatFat to me. But aging has brought so many blessings in how I view myself.
  9. Christie13's Avatar
    Well said!! I always laugh when people say they never saw me as a fat person...and I show them the pictures and they seem shocked and say they don't remember me like that. The thing is....people who really know you think about you in personality attributes not looks. And while I am glad my friends saw me by the size of my personality/heart and not the size of my ass I am glad that I have this awesome healthy new body to carry around my awesome personality!
  10. KiwiGal's Avatar
    "And while I am glad my friends saw me by the size of my personality/heart and not the size of my ass I am glad that I have this awesome healthy new body to carry around my awesome personality!"

    Love this!
  11. Happyme2's Avatar
    That was Beautiful Annie
  12. AnnieG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Well said!! I always laugh when people say they never saw me as a fat person...and I show them the pictures and they seem shocked and say they don't remember me like that. The thing is....people who really know you think about you in personality attributes not looks. And while I am glad my friends saw me by the size of my personality/heart and not the size of my ass I am glad that I have this awesome healthy new body to carry around my awesome personality!
    You made my laugh! I've always had the "gone ass" & now it's just plain bony! Yes, I have a big personality, too! Hard when you're an introvert