Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

A Celebration of Sorts: Part 1

Rate this Entry
Yesterday saw me not only gathering up some familiar faces for a week long visit to the beautiful state of South Dakota, I also celebrated another year of life. One would think that because of these two wonderful occasions, the opportunity to allow for a "free day" of sorts would be in order, but I am proud to say that not only did I not allow myself a full on free day, I approached the situation in such a way that I found caution was the best method of handling things.

This is not to say that I didn't provide for myself some leeway. We went to an old favorite restaurant of mine called Old Chicago located in Fargo North Dakota to partake of my birthday lunch (a tradition in our family), and in doing so, my wife and I shared an Asian themed salad topped with thinly sliced grilled chicken, and a sampler platter containing some bread and such. Oh, and I splurged on a decadent Strawberry Lemonade. No hops were had, although they are widely known for their large assortment of brews, but when I arrived home yesterday evening, I sat down for a fun game of dominoes with the ladies and slowly pulled from a pineapple and coconut rum (an occasional luxury of mine).

There was no fanfare meaning no cake and ice cream or any desserts of any kind were had. We simply played dominoes, sipped on some libations, and listened to Phil Collins. Occasionally we would all convene outside for some healthy conversation and to enjoy the amazing weather we are experiencing. But that was pretty much it.

To be honest, that is all I really needed. I have my mom-in-law in town, my beautiful wife by my side, my pups at my feet, the occasional libation, and my favorite (not to mention, relaxing) game - Cardinal Mexican Train Dominoes.

What more could a guy ask for for his birthday?

I honestly can't think of anything more. Life is so, so good right now.

Submit "A Celebration of Sorts: Part 1" to Digg Submit "A Celebration of Sorts: Part 1" to del.icio.us Submit "A Celebration of Sorts: Part 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Celebration of Sorts: Part 1" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Happy Birthday Shannon, Heres to a healthy, happy year with your wonderful wife and family and dominos!! Haven't played that since I was a kid! I might add those to the holiday games box :-) Sounds like you had a perfect day :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    Happy Birthday Shannon, Heres to a healthy, happy year with your wonderful wife and family and dominos!! Haven't played that since I was a kid! I might add those to the holiday games box :-) Sounds like you had a perfect day :-)
    Hey Edie!

Thank you for the birthday wishes. It doesn't go unrecognized or unappreciated.

I agree...here IS to a healthy, happy year filled with nothing but love for my wife, family...and of course myself (and my beloved dominoes.) LOL! I hadn't played in forever in a day, but we play games with some friends of our out here, and one evening they introduced the Cardinal Mexican Train set of Dominoes and from there I was hooked. My wife and I bought ourselves a set, and as they say, they rest is history. I am the Rocky Balboa of dominoes around here. LOL! Just kidding, of course. But those games can get serious and highly competitive quickly. Especially with another couple added to the mix.

I did have a perfect day! Thank you for noticing. I know to most it was probably nothing short of the norm for them, but for me, it meant EVERYTHING to me. I was with two of the three special women in my life (my daughter back home being the third) and to be honest, I really couldn't ask for much more.
    Awwww lovely :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    Awwww lovely :-)
    Life couldn't get much better than it is right now!
    Belated birthday wishes to you!
    Sounds like you had the perfect time.
    Being surrounded by family is just the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal
    Belated birthday wishes to you!
    Sounds like you had the perfect time.
    Being surrounded by family is just the best!

Thank you Lisa!

It was the perfect time (for me) and you are correct, being surrounded by family is the absolute best - especially when you haven't seen them for six months.