Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

It Seems Everything Has Finally Hit the Fan

Rate this Entry
I want to apologize for my short but noticeable (to me) absence over the course of the past two days. I am in the process of searching for a new university and in doing so have been met with short bursts of opposition – I guess it would be what most within the VSG community refer to here (myself included) as life.

I won’t spend a great deal of time on this subject, but I believe it in some ways has everything to do with my recent lack of direction, determination, and dedication.

My education means EVERYTHING to me. And as such, I want nothing short of the best for not only myself but for my wife. If that can’t won’t happen, I will not stand by idle and allow everything I have worked for to slip through my fingers.

It is because of this current situation that I have allowed myself to slip back into some bad habits. Before you become concerned (which I duly note and appreciate), I have not gone back to the way I was eating prior to WLS, but I have fallen by the wayside and had a few items that I liken to what I consumed while traveling to South Dakota.

I know, I know…I know. TRUST ME…I KNOW! I shouldn’t allow the little things to trip me up. I need to be stronger. I need to show more dedication. I need to focus. And generally speaking, I think I do. But this minor slip in my program has wreaked havoc on my strength, focus, and dedication.

I wish I could find the answer as to why this is happening, but honestly, the best I can come up with right now is this damn school situation. Not a good enough reason, I know. But it is the only thing that seems to come to mind.

I need to step away.

Just regroup.

I need to look at how far I have come physically and emotionally and recognize that much like the fight I am currently in for my education, the fight to live a healthy and happy life is equally important.

I got it. Now I need to do it.

Submit "It Seems Everything Has Finally Hit the Fan" to Digg Submit "It Seems Everything Has Finally Hit the Fan" to del.icio.us Submit "It Seems Everything Has Finally Hit the Fan" to StumbleUpon Submit "It Seems Everything Has Finally Hit the Fan" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

University issues can be really stressful Shannon. I understand. Can you do your Uni as distance education on line? We can do that here. Also its pretty stressful fitting in both work and Uni, I hear ya!!!
    I think sometimes when life gets thrown out of whack we don't care for ourselves so well. It's often the first thing to go but it should be the most important thing to take care of. We are not always good at this!
    Stopping to regroup sounds like an excellent idea and maybe chatting this out with someone in the know? therapist, uni counsellor, work assistance program? I don't know if you have access to these things but they may be useful.
    Also im going to say this and forgive me, but recently I feel that you are giving yourself a really hard time unnecessarily. I think this may be your determined personality (Ill put my own hand up as a culprit here) I think you have done so well. I don't think you need to be so hard on yourself. Im sending good vibes for sorting all this out and coming to a conclusion you are happy with.
    And I know that you know all that ^^^ I do :-)
    Shannon we are all human and there will be times, as I'm sure we all know, where life just gets in the way. It's how we handle those speed bumps that matter. You have recognized an issue, you know what it is, and you are working on it. I don't think you can ask much more of yourself.
    I'm with Stacey that maybe you are being too hard on yourself? This is probably easier to say than do but try and be kind to yourself. You deserve it! Sending more antipodean good vibes from here too :-)

Kia Kaha, Kia Maia, Kia Manawanui
    (Be strong, be courageous, be steadfast.)
    Hey Edie!

I'm just going to dive right in by stating that you're right. Without question, I am being far too hard on myself.

While I would like to report that it is all situational, the fact of the matter is that roughly 35% of it situational and the remaining 65% percent is operator error (for lack of a better term.) Don't get me wrong, as of late life has certainly had a way of dealing me it's own special brand of B.S., but deep down inside I know without question that these are situations that I should expect to encounter - University woes notwithstanding.

I have had this unique way of kicking myself while I am down since moving to the midwest, and unfortunately it is being reflected in my posts within this community, in conversations with my wife and kids, and in those moments where I find myself all alone and dwelling within the dark recesses of my own mind.

I miss my family terribly, and honestly, I think that has a huge impact on how I am currently experiencing my life. Today my wife and I go the airport to pick up my mom-in-law, and I will get to spend a much needed week with her, to watch my beloved Boston Red Sox play in Minnesota, and spend some family fun time together, and then in August we are going to Cape Cod (my wife's hometown) for a week to see friends and family as well. All of these things will help me immensely as I REALLY need to retain some of the normalcy my life has been lacking.

Anyway...

This has drawn itself out so I will reel it in, but know that I appreciate the "good vibes" you have sent my way and the smack to the face of reality that I was very much in need of.
    Hi Lisa!

You too, are correct. Thank you for grabbing me by my cheeks and forcing me to look at the various things I either chose not to see, or simply chose to ignore. I very much needed that.

As I told Edie (Stacey03), I agree that I am being far too hard on myself. It is unfair, unwanted, and unjustified. I need to change all of that A.S.A.P.

This week will be brilliant for my psyche. For that I have no doubt. I really need my family right now as I am homesick beyond all recognition - something I think is being reflected in everything I say, write, and do.

Thanks again, friend!
    I have a confession Shannon.....brace yourself.....I am NOT perfect. I slip and stumble as well. But then I dust myself off, put one foot in front of the other, get back to my journey, and roar like a wild woman. Because you know what? I am human. I am imperfect. And honestly, I like me. Flaws and all. Hang in there Shannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    I have a confession Shannon.....brace yourself.....I am NOT perfect. I slip and stumble as well. But then I dust myself off, put one foot in front of the other, get back to my journey, and roar like a wild woman. Because you know what? I am human. I am imperfect. And honestly, I like me. Flaws and all. Hang in there Shannon.
    Hi there Christie13!

Thanks a million! Truly! I REALLY NEEDED to see this. Between you, Edie, and Lisa (and a plethora of assorted and equally lovable cast of VSG Community characters), I have been smacked back into reality and recognize that I am entitled to be fallible. After all, as you say..."I am human. I am imperfect. And honestly, I like me."

No finer words could have been said!

Thank you so, so very much!
    Christie is so right!!! And big transitional times and missing family is a lot to deal with. I noticed you changed your ticker Shannon and I was so pleased. I am a massive culprit at times of giving myself a hard time, not so much these days :-) Enjoy your beautiful time with your family. I soooo want to visit New England one day, it looks amazing!!! :-)
    Hey there Edie!

With great pleasure I find more times than not I am telling Christie just how right she is. It's not meant to be an ego boost. I am simply stating a fact. She seems to have her finger on the pulse of what it takes to be a successful VSG WLS recipient (as do you and Lisa.) The combination of the three of you - as well as assorted other VSG members - reel me in, if you will, sit me down and show me a different way of processing things, because although I have had previous WLS, VSG WLS is an entirely different way of doing things.

I could go into the sordid details but really, what's the point? We all know all too well the ramifications of going about things improperly. That said...I am learning some things the hard way.

I made mention the fact that you recommended me changing my ticker and she thought it was a great idea. She too believed that given my overall stature that 185 pounds was pushing the limits of WLS. So I scrapped the idea and have settled comfortably into the idea of 200-220 range being my new goal weight.

New England (for us) is not only a beautiful place to go home to, it appears to be magical in that there is something soothing and calming about the overall vibe of the people there - something I highly recommend you try to experience at some point in your life.