Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

hookydad

Mixed Feelings

Rate this Entry
Well, today marks the official 7 month day since I had my life altering surgery. I called this Mixed Emotions because, when I stepped on the scale today, I had only lost 6 pounds this past month. Kind of disappointing. Now I know the days are gone when I am loosing 10+ pounds each month. I was just a little shocked as it felt like I was on point all month, and to view such small results is a little disheartening. Oh well, I will get over it! I have had some amazing things happen in the past 7 months though. Look at me before:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171213_084935.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	687.6 KB 
ID:	27677

And now look: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180613_075233.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	27678
I have to look at the positives:

• Down 146 lbs
    Gone from a very tight size 48 jeans to a size 38 jeans.
    More energy than I know what to do with.
    Shirt size from a 4XL to now a 2xl or, depending on the shirt XL.
    My kids have never know me the size I am now. It is fun to see there enjoyment in my success as well.
    Sleep Apnea is way under control!
    Blood Pressure medication gone.

Lots of things to be happy about!
I have been averaging between 800 to 100 calories a day with between 80 and 100 grams of protein. I think I am going to take Christie's advise for pushing through a stall and bump up my calories to 1200 per day and always get over 100 grams protein per day. Hopefully that will carry me down the home stretch toward my newly established goal weight by my doctor of 225 lbs.

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated as I know there other people that have gone through the same thing.

Also, something I never saw coming is the body image thing. Several things. I still see the Fat Guy in the mirror. How long does that take to go away or to see yourself for who you actually have become. I also am REALLY not liking he way my body is looking. Almost just as embarrassed as much as I was before, just for different reasons. I don't know. I as sure there are many psychological things going on in my head that I don't understand, but just looking for some advice or coping mechanisms.

Not many negative and even those are not really negatives, just something I am not used to dealing with.

Here's to an even more awesome second half to me first year of the VSG life. Can't wait to see what is in store for the future.

Submit "Mixed Feelings" to Digg Submit "Mixed Feelings" to del.icio.us Submit "Mixed Feelings" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mixed Feelings" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Oh Jeff you look absolutely fantastic. Really. So much healthier and fabulous. I think it does take a while for our minds to catch up with our body. I sometimes still feel bigger than I am and perhaps it depends on the type of clothes I'm wearing. My son walked in the other day and was like 'Mumma come here you tiny thing" and we had a big hug and sniffed each other because we are weird like that, lol, we've done that since toddlerhood and he's now 21!

It's a big journey isn't it? And I dunno sometimes we still have those moments of wondering if we have finally cracked it. I think I spent the last 2.5 months to goal weight loosing the last 4 kilos so it was slow. From a complete and honest outsider you look a million dollars Jeff. Really.

Chatting about this stuff is so good though and maybe even a bit of therapy chat might help (only if you wanted to). I totally pop off to a therapist if I'm having a tricky time and that has served me so well over the years. I think really though I would say these thoughts are pretty normal here and there. Be proud. Also something else I've noticed is fixation on goal weights. I totally get it but enjoy that journey too. You're a legend :-)
    Hi Jeff!

Thank you for this blog post. This is the shot in the arm I needed to redirect my misguided and ill spent energy. You are a true inspiration to the men of the VSG community.

Ladies notwithstanding - you are all equally amazing, but as a man, when you can find some form of commonality with another gentleman...that certainly does help.

On a side note: Jeff, I remember when I first joined the community, I made mention of my relocation to South Dakota, and you were one of the first to respond by welcoming me and telling me how wonderful this state is. While I do not disagree, I do not want you to think my blog post are in any way a negative reflection of how I feel about South Dakota. I absolutely LOVE it here. Just miss my family more that I ever thought possible - which in turn has been reflected negatively in recent postings.

Thank you for everything! You are (as I like to say) all aces, my friend!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    Oh Jeff you look absolutely fantastic. Really. So much healthier and fabulous. I think it does take a while for our minds to catch up with our body. I sometimes still feel bigger than I am and perhaps it depends on the type of clothes I'm wearing. My son walked in the other day and was like 'Mumma come here you tiny thing" and we had a big hug and sniffed each other because we are weird like that, lol, we've done that since toddlerhood and he's now 21!

It's a big journey isn't it? And I dunno sometimes we still have those moments of wondering if we have finally cracked it. I think I spent the last 2.5 months to goal weight loosing the last 4 kilos so it was slow. From a complete and honest outsider you look a million dollars Jeff. Really.

Chatting about this stuff is so good though and maybe even a bit of therapy chat might help (only if you wanted to). I totally pop off to a therapist if I'm having a tricky time and that has served me so well over the years. I think really though I would say these thoughts are pretty normal here and there. Be proud. Also something else I've noticed is fixation on goal weights. I totally get it but enjoy that journey too. You're a legend :-)
    Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply!!

I agree, too much emphasis is put on "Goal Weight" or numbers. I am just going to keep going with what I am doing and let my body decide where it should end up. I have not problem with with what I am eating or how much I am eating. I was just commenting to my wife last night, that since, my surgery, I have not once felt hungry. I just try to evaluate, when I reach for something to eat, is it my head telling me to eat or my stomach. Every time, it has been my head. I simply look at food anymore as fuel, not the process. I am just being the person I should have always been. I knew how to do this since I was a teenager, just refused to have the mind power to follow through. Now I do and I AM LOVING IT!!

Thanks again for the post! Love hearing all your stories about the different seafood you prepare and enjoy. I swear, I could live off from seafood alone as my sole protein source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon'sVSG
    Hi Jeff!

Thank you for this blog post. This is the shot in the arm I needed to redirect my misguided and ill spent energy. You are a true inspiration to the men of the VSG community.

Ladies notwithstanding - you are all equally amazing, but as a man, when you can find some form of commonality with another gentleman...that certainly does help.

On a side note: Jeff, I remember when I first joined the community, I made mention of my relocation to South Dakota, and you were one of the first to respond by welcoming me and telling me how wonderful this state is. While I do not disagree, I do not want you to think my blog post are in any way a negative reflection of how I feel about South Dakota. I absolutely LOVE it here. Just miss my family more that I ever thought possible - which in turn has been reflected negatively in recent postings.

Thank you for everything! You are (as I like to say) all aces, my friend!
    Shannon, Really appreciate your post and all the posts you have been submitting!! I feel like I am right there with you and going through the same things.

I did not take anything from your posts as negative about South Dakota You could tell it was more to do with personal relationships rather than geography. Glad you enjoy our state and our very distinct four seasons. I prefer fall the best around here.

Keep up the good fight and I look forward to more posts!
    Nawwww you fellas, I reckon you could be great pals and support to each other.
    Seafood + so good :-)
    It is really nice to see blokes expressing their feelings. So many don't - to their detriment.
    Glad that you have the support of each other (and us!). It's great to have someone that you an relate to perhaps more closely than others.
    You are doing great Jeff. Are you strength training? I had a lot of skin originally but now it is barely noticeable. I contribute that success to good nutrition, good hydration, vitamins, strength training, time, and some genetics as well. It really does get better in time.
    And I do wholeheartedly believe that upping the calories will help. We all eventually need to move up in calories to be able to continue losing weight. I eat quite a bit more now. Congrats on all your success! Don't ever downplay how far you have come. You have earned every one of those victories!
    YOU LOST 146 POUNDS in SEVEN months!!! I don't see how you could be anything but thrilled! It just gets better and better. What a life you have to look forward to!

(The closer you get to goal the slower you will lose, but who cares, as you will get there.)
    Dad, you are doing so freakin' great.

And yes, the body dysmorphia thing is real, but the good news is that it does gradually dissipate. After all, there's no way your mind could catch up with 146 pounds lost in 7 months! At least, mine could not.

Try to believe me when I tell you that at some point you're going to think that you're too thin. Also, believe me when I say that you are NOT even close to through losing. First, you're a guy with all that muscle mass and testosterone and crrrraaazy faster metabolism than women enjoy. Second, go read my first year surgiversary post and see what my own surgical team said about how much I should be eating at the point you're at right now and why. It's worth a quick read.

https://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/...ad.php?t=59053

Now, put your arms around your shoulders and give yourself a big old hug. Really. Do it. Love yourself. And say something sweet about yourself. If this is just too weird, you can whisper it.