Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

It's Purely Psychological

Rate this Entry
Well...it seems it was too good to last as stagnation has once again set in and the scale refuses to move.

That's OK, however, because I know I am doing all of the right things, making all of the right decisions, and eating mostly all of the right foods. Just the same, I want to see movement on the scale because I believe from a psychological standpoint that seeing numbers move is much easier to track than putting on a pair of once tight-fitting jeans that now slip on with great ease.

The only thing I find I am asking myself is how much smaller can I expect to get? I am 6' 1" with a broad frame. As previously stated, I have moved from a 44 waist down to a 34 waist. I don't know if it is reasonable to expect myself to eventually fit into a 32 or even a 30 waist, or would I at some point look emaciated?

These are all questions I find I ask myself on a fairly routine basis. Couple with that the idea that I hear these types of comments from friends and family and I can't help but wonder if there is some truth behind the words.

Personally speaking, my ultimate goal weight is a lean and mean 185 pounds. But as previously stated, would someone of my stature look fit or just thin? I can discern the difference, and while I would like it to be a combination of both, it would behoove me to drop that low and feel as terrible as I look.

But like i said, I believe it is all purely psychological in nature.

Submit "It's Purely Psychological" to Digg Submit "It's Purely Psychological" to del.icio.us Submit "It's Purely Psychological" to StumbleUpon Submit "It's Purely Psychological" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

sounds like you've had a huge decrease with 10 pant sizes, but i really understand the need to see those damned numbers move!
    I think that a 34 inch waist for a person of your height is right. You "might" be able to be a 32 and not look too bad but definitely no smaller. One thing that always helped me to not obsess about the numbers on the scale was my progress pictures and the measurements I took every 2 weeks. Really helped me to put things in perspective and realize that it is not all about the number on the scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by shabby
    sounds like you've had a huge decrease with 10 pant sizes, but i really understand the need to see those damned numbers move!
    Hi shabby!

I don't know if so much a need as it is a want to see the numbers move, but because this is such a fluctuating numbers game (for lack of a better term), the need to focus more on overall size reduction is what matter most. Just the same...sometimes I just want to hurl the scale through the bathroom window (kidding, of course.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    I think that a 34 inch waist for a person of your height is right. You "might" be able to be a 32 and not look too bad but definitely no smaller. One thing that always helped me to not obsess about the numbers on the scale was my progress pictures and the measurements I took every 2 weeks. Really helped me to put things in perspective and realize that it is not all about the number on the scale.
    He there Christie13!

It would seem were in line with one another's train of thought regarding overall waist size versus weight.

This is why I mentioned my goal weight at all. I was looking for feedback regarding proportion when taking into consideration my size. I may be considering adjusting my goal weight to better reflect my proportions (I am thinking 200 pounds might be more in line with where I should be than 185.) I consider it more of a realistic compromise than settling.

I should look back on my photographs. Doing so might make me realize just how far I have come, because seeing myself in the mirror everyday doesn't seem to be doing it for me anymore.

Thank you for your input. I is very much appreciated and duly noted.

Have a great week!
    Isn't goal weight just another random number?
    After all, it is not really us, but our bodies that make that decision for us.
    Based on numerous different things, like gender, genetics etc.
    It can be very frustrating to pick a goal weight that our bodies don't agree upon.

Just keep doing what you are doing now and don't overthink it.
    Let nature take its course and trust your body to do the right thing.
    Shannon those are my sentiments exactly! I had to stop weighing myself because I felt like that numbers weren't moving. But I've had a few NSV which offset the numbers on the scale we see. If you weigh, don't do it daily (from this to be my biggest mistake).

Continue on the path you're own and allow your body to do what it will do without over stressing about those numbers. I believe you can get to a 32 waist and still look great! Celebrate the victories your have accomplish and look forward to those victories that shall come!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve
    Isn't goal weight just another random number?
    After all, it is not really us, but our bodies that make that decision for us.
    Based on numerous different things, like gender, genetics etc.
    It can be very frustrating to pick a goal weight that our bodies don't agree upon.

Just keep doing what you are doing now and don't overthink it.
    Let nature take its course and trust your body to do the right thing.

Hi there DutchSleeve!

You are absolutely correct: goal weight is in fact just another random number. Is it the number we would ultimately like to see ourselves weigh in at? Sure. But I know that in reality, I will probably stop somewhere around 200 pounds - which if you ask me would appear to be a much healthier weight than 185.

Easier said than done to say "don't overthink it." I think you know as well as I do that trying to accomplish such a feat is difficult at best. But I will do my best not to, and I will lean more toward overall body size that weight.

Have a great week!
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyWade
    Shannon those are my sentiments exactly! I had to stop weighing myself because I felt like that numbers weren't moving. But I've had a few NSV which offset the numbers on the scale we see. If you weigh, don't do it daily (from this to be my biggest mistake).

Continue on the path you're own and allow your body to do what it will do without over stressing about those numbers. I believe you can get to a 32 waist and still look great! Celebrate the victories your have accomplish and look forward to those victories that shall come!!

Hi there SassyWade!

I do, in fact weigh daily. I know I said I wouldn't. but once I brought the scale back I found I was on it more than I cared to be.

I know I have reduced in size by the sizes I now wear, just the same, it would be lovely to see my weight coincide with said sizes. But that is a perfect world - and I know I do not reside in one. That said, I think I am going to have my wife once again remove the scale and just "go with the flow" as it were. It really seems to be the only way I can do this without driving myself insane.

Have a great week!
    Shannon, I have gone from 44's to 34's and don't really expect to go much smaller than that. I was wearing 34's when I met my wife 30 years ago and remember those as healthy days.

I still want to lose 25 lbs and that is mostly still belly fat. I will be happy when that is gone.

The first 50 lbs went fast. The next 20 lbs was much slower. I now have 2 lbs that comes and goes without any real logic but am a tiny bit lighter each week. Up a bit for days, down a bit for days, back up, back down. The lows are a tiny bit lower each week.

I feel good and no longer take diabetes medicine so that is all good.

I weigh every darn day and probably should skip the scale for while, but just cannot.
    Shannon... I wonder if your goal weight is too low!!! I mean you might be doing your own head in unnecessarily and actually might be totally fine as you are or just a few more pounds lighter! Gosh that is worth a thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon'sVSG
    He there Christie13!

It would seem were in line with one another's train of thought regarding overall waist size versus weight.

This is why I mentioned my goal weight at all. I was looking for feedback regarding proportion when taking into consideration my size. I may be considering adjusting my goal weight to better reflect my proportions (I am thinking 200 pounds might be more in line with where I should be than 185.) I consider it more of a realistic compromise than settling.

I should look back on my photographs. Doing so might make me realize just how far I have come, because seeing myself in the mirror everyday doesn't seem to be doing it for me anymore.

Thank you for your input. I is very much appreciated and duly noted.

Have a great week!
    One thing that I have come to realize is that we have these numbers in our heads where we think we should be but they are not always right. We know we have had warped ideas in our heads. That is how we got where we got.
    My husband is 5'7" and wears a 32 inch waist. He is trim and fit. We both work out a lot. So I really think that you would look too thin with a 32 inch waist. So I say you are totally winning!
    Sounds like you have a good grasp of how this journey works. I wouldn't worry to much about anything. You seem to be doing very well and as I am only in the beginning of this journey there are frustrating moments to go through just as there are in normal daily activities. Keep your chin up you are doing great!
    Quote Originally Posted by The North Sleeve
    Sounds like you have a good grasp of how this journey works. I wouldn't worry to much about anything. You seem to be doing very well and as I am only in the beginning of this journey there are frustrating moments to go through just as there are in normal daily activities. Keep your chin up you are doing great!
    Hey there Mike!

Thank you for the inspiring words. They are very kind and much appreciated.

While most days I feel I am getting the full swing of all things VSG WLS, there are other days that quickly remind me that I need to unlearn most everything I had previously learned in 2002 when I underwent RnY WLS. That procedure seemed to come with a much separate set of rules to live by than the current VSG rule book (not to mention that was 16 years ago.) But I am trying my hardest to right the wrongs and live right by me. Because in the end, that's really all I can do, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by cpttrsn
    Shannon, I have gone from 44's to 34's and don't really expect to go much smaller than that. I was wearing 34's when I met my wife 30 years ago and remember those as healthy days.

I still want to lose 25 lbs and that is mostly still belly fat. I will be happy when that is gone.

The first 50 lbs went fast. The next 20 lbs was much slower. I now have 2 lbs that comes and goes without any real logic but am a tiny bit lighter each week. Up a bit for days, down a bit for days, back up, back down. The lows are a tiny bit lower each week.

I feel good and no longer take diabetes medicine so that is all good.

I weigh every darn day and probably should skip the scale for while, but just cannot.

Hi Chris!

Your timing is impeccable. No truer words could have been spoken in this moment than those I just read in your blog response. I can't thank you enough.

Your journey sounds much like mine: a fast 50, a slower 20, and then the occasional 1-2 pound losses.

It sounds like I am on the right track with my proportion sizes. From a 44 to a 34 waist seems to appropriate at this juncture because I really do think anything smaller is not only pipe dreaming, but unrealistic and unhealthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    Shannon... I wonder if your goal weight is too low!!! I mean you might be doing your own head in unnecessarily and actually might be totally fine as you are or just a few more pounds lighter! Gosh that is worth a thought!

Hey there Edie!

Once again, you have struck a cord with me.

I think you're right in that I just might be doing myself a disservice by thinking 185 pounds is where I need to be. I mean, is that where I would like to see myself? Sure. But only if I can look and feel healthy. If not, then my answer is absolutely not. So maybe I need to adjust things and set my sights on something a little more realistic (and attainable) like...for instance...200 pounds. At 6'1" with a broad frame, 200 might put right where I truly need to be.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    One thing that I have come to realize is that we have these numbers in our heads where we think we should be but they are not always right. We know we have had warped ideas in our heads. That is how we got where we got.
    My husband is 5'7" and wears a 32 inch waist. He is trim and fit. We both work out a lot. So I really think that you would look too thin with a 32 inch waist. So I say you are totally winning!

Hey there Christie13!

Aww...such a sweetie.

Thank you for the generous words.

I tend to agree with you (as I generally do these days) in that we do contrive thoughts and delusions of grandeur in our minds. What we think we need and what we truly need are two entirely different things. Having said that, after much consideration - as well as a few weigh-in's by the VSG community - I believe a more realistic goal weight for me would right about 200 pounds (give or take a few pounds). I honestly think that 185 was very pie in the sky for me, but in the beginning of this journey, that is where I set the bar without truly recognizing the monumental task I had laid out before me.
    200 pounds sounds perfect to me! Why don't you adjust your goal weight on your ticker and aim there and see what you look like! You can always change it again but you may not because you don't need to. it will take the pressure off too. I think you have done so incredibly well and I cant bear that you are putting all this pressure on yourself when you might not even have to! I reckon change that ticker :-)
    200 pounds sounds perfect to me! Why don't you adjust your goal weight on your ticker and aim there and see what you look like! You can always change it again but you may not because you don't need to. it will take the pressure off too. I think you have done so incredibly well and I cant bear that you are putting all this pressure on yourself when you might not even have to! I reckon change that ticker :-)
    Hi Edie!

That is a GREAT idea (adjusting my ticker goal weight.) Obviously, I hadn't thought to do that until you made mention of it, but that is why you are such an awesome friend.

Thank you!
    DO IT!!!!!! Gawd! I reckon you will look super at 200 pounds :-)
    DO IT!!!!!! Gawd! I reckon you will look super at 200 pounds :-)
    At the risk of sounding egotistical...so do I! I honestly believe 200 pounds will be superb! And it is a reasonable attainable goal weight. Thank you again for the suggestion of changing my ticker. Consider it done.