Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

Poor Sleeping Patterns and a Possible VSG Connection

Rate this Entry
Generally speaking I don't sleep well. On average, if I am lucky I will receive roughly 4 hours of sleep per night. I mention this only because it is pertinent to this blog posting.

As a direct result of my lack of sleep, I find that in addition to a daily nap, I tend to lean heavily on an energy drink known as Redline Xtreme. I do so, not because I enjoy the sudden burst of energy I receive from said energy drink, rather because it has almost become a staple of my daily diet. With no sugars added, zero calories, and zero carbohydrates to speak of, in many ways it would appear that is contains the perfect combination of what I need to boost my energy level throughout the day.

On average, I drink two full bottles per day (that is the equivalent of four servings) and even then, sometimes I am so exhausted that I fall asleep in such a way as to suggest that said energy drinks aren't very helpful at all. In fact, in recent weeks I have found myself questioning the validity of the company's claims that it will beep you awake and alert for up to five hours at a time because I have no problem drinking a full bottle and then lay down for a nice long nap.

The reason(s) this happens at all has everything to do with my medical condition previously discusses in a past blog I posted. I have done extensive research into this matter and always wind up with the same answers: that the combination of my medical condition and the medication taken for said medical condition play a significant role in my struggle for a good night of sleep.

I would be remiss in saying it didn't bother me, because the truth of the matter is it plays a significant role in my overall well being. At times I find myself to be overly emotional, sometimes angry, at the root cause of this problem - thus resulting in taking it out on the wrong individuals. But it really is unavoidable. It isn't intentional, but it certainly is unavoidable - and frustrating (to say the least).

I bring all of this up because I often wonder if there is some correlation between my weight loss struggles and the issues I have with sleep and sleep aids.

If any of you out there in the community are faced with the same or similar conditions, please message me either here or privately. I would like to know it there something else that can be done to curtail this condition before it get too far out of control.

In advance, thank you for your time, attention, and consideration regarding this matter.

Submit "Poor Sleeping Patterns and a Possible VSG Connection" to Digg Submit "Poor Sleeping Patterns and a Possible VSG Connection" to del.icio.us Submit "Poor Sleeping Patterns and a Possible VSG Connection" to StumbleUpon Submit "Poor Sleeping Patterns and a Possible VSG Connection" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. DutchSleeve's Avatar
    The half-life of caffein is around 5 hours.
    https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...-caffeine-last
    So, in my opnion, your caffeine consumption is a really high and I can totally understand, why you are having a hard time sleeping.
    Having said that, I don't know anything about the drink you mention, but my guess is, it does contain an pretty high amount of caffeine.
    Could that contribute to your problem?

    There also is a correlation between wls and sleeping patterns.
    This surgeons explains the how and why:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJJOHx3J7tc

    Not sleeping is the worst...
    I hope you will find a cure for that soon!
  2. Shannon'sVSG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve
    The half-life of caffein is around 5 hours.
    https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...-caffeine-last
    So, in my opnion, your caffeine consumption is a really high and I can totally understand, why you are having a hard time sleeping.
    Having said that, I don't know anything about the drink you mention, but my guess is, it does contain an pretty high amount of caffeine.
    Could that contribute to your problem?

    There also is a correlation between wls and sleeping patterns.
    This surgeons explains the how and why:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJJOHx3J7tc

    Not sleeping is the worst...
    I hope you will find a cure for that soon!
    Hey there DutchSleeve!

    I tend to agree with you in that my caffeine consumption is probably pretty high from drinking those drinks in particular, however, I am so exhausted most days that I can actually drink one of those and fall asleep in my chair without hesitation (my wife jokes I have narcolepsy.)

    I had no idea that the shelf life, so to speak for drinking caffeine is approximately 5 hours in duration. Sounds like something I should investigate further.

    Regarding the video you provided: as soon as I am done with this post I will be sure to watch it. Thank you in advance for forwarding it my way. Much appreciated.

    Have a great weekend!
  3. Stacey03's Avatar
    250 g of caffine per serve... a cup of coffee is 94mg.
    It also contains st johns wort and 5 HTP which may be contraindicated with your other medications Shannon.
    Do you have any chance of having a medical review to see if there needs to be a tweak to get you better sleep? Is this recent or all the time?
  4. Shannon'sVSG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    250 g of caffine per serve... a cup of coffee is 94mg.
    It also contains st johns wort and 5 HTP which may be contraindicated with your other medications Shannon.
    Do you have any chance of having a medical review to see if there needs to be a tweak to get you better sleep? Is this recent or all the time?

    Hi Edie!

    After reading this post, it made me take a look at the caffeine component in what I am drinking for an energy drink (158 mg) versus a single cup of coffee (94 mg) as you outlined above. It is reasonably high.

    Not to sound like I am making excuses for their use, but he only reason I use them to begin with is because I have had this ongoing sleep issue for quite some time. It is my understanding that sleep disorders are considered normal for someone living with bipolar disorder. And because of this, my practitioner has prescribed me a sleep aid to help combat the roughly three hours of sleep per night that I average.

    While I would like to report that said sleep aid helps, all it really does is leaves me with a hangover-like sensation the following morning which makes it difficult to function.
  5. Stacey03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon'sVSG
    Hi Edie!

    After reading this post, it made me take a look at the caffeine component in what I am drinking for an energy drink (158 mg) versus a single cup of coffee (94 mg) as you outlined above. It is reasonably high.

    Not to sound like I am making excuses for their use, but he only reason I use them to begin with is because I have had this ongoing sleep issue for quite some time. It is my understanding that sleep disorders are considered normal for someone living with bipolar disorder. And because of this, my practitioner has prescribed me a sleep aid to help combat the roughly three hours of sleep per night that I average.

    While I would like to report that said sleep aid helps, all it really does is leaves me with a hangover-like sensation the following morning which makes it difficult to function.
    Yes I can understand why you've used them for sure. It's a shame the sleeper makes you feel like that. It's frustrating to get these medications tweaked well. Did you find a good GP in your new home town Shannon?