Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

My Reality Is...Part 2

Rate this Entry
No sooner do I write a blog post about how well I have done over the course of the past three days, I now have to report that I have spiked back up in weight. But I honestly have no idea why this has happened.

I have eaten right, exercised, counted calories, watched my carbs...and for my efforts I am given a slight gain. I'm not frustrated about this, but I think about something Dale (DHB) said in response to my blog post yesterday, and that is that she fluctuates like this as well. Meaning she will lose for a few days, and then see a weight gain spike, only to receive more weight loss in days following the initial gain.

This has me wondering if there is anyone else within the community who has experienced this oddity? And if so, what did you do to aid in combating such a troublesome concern? Did you increase your exercises even more? Did you reduce you caloric intake? Did you revert back to a full or partial liquid diet? I genuinely want to know. Because while I am not very moved by this latest minor setback, many more of these could easily find me wanting to bang my head against the nearest wall.

In any event, I know in the greater scheme of things that I can expect setbacks like this to happen from time to time. The difference being with each one that occurs is in understanding that I may have done everything as I am expected to and still find myself with a gain of some sort. This is not to say that I am behaving in a manner that is unsuitable to my VSG WLS, rather it is my body's way of putting up a fight against the WLS itself - almost as if it screaming out in frustration that I have in someway tricked it into WLS - a notion I scoff at because I am fighting a difficult enough battle in my stab at losing the excess weight. The last thing I want or need is to face even more opposition over something I really have no control over.

Submit "My Reality Is...Part 2" to Digg Submit "My Reality Is...Part 2" to del.icio.us Submit "My Reality Is...Part 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "My Reality Is...Part 2" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That's frustrating Shannon but your weight will vary day to day and so this might be super temporary. I know that there is an app called 'happy scale' which you weigh in every day and it's a predictive weight loss tracker. It smooths out your daily weights to show you the trend over time so you don't stress on the plateaus. I wonder if this will be useful to you?
    It sounds like you are working hard and eating well and exercising and I'm sure this will all even out but I understand that must be frustrating. maybe this will help. Im sure other people will have advice too.
    Actually, a little weight fluctuation is not an "oddity."

It's normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    That's frustrating Shannon but your weight will vary day to day and so this might be super temporary. I know that there is an app called 'happy scale' which you weigh in every day and it's a predictive weight loss tracker. It smooths out your daily weights to show you the trend over time so you don't stress on the plateaus. I wonder if this will be useful to you?
    It sounds like you are working hard and eating well and exercising and I'm sure this will all even out but I understand that must be frustrating. maybe this will help. Im sure other people will have advice too.
    Hi Edie!

Thank you for the direction regarding "happy scale." I'll be certain to take a look into it and see if it is something I can find useful in my everyday routine.

You're right. While it is frustrating, I am trying hard not to let it weigh me down. After all, I know this is a temporary situation and hopefully is not indicative of any further issues (Lord knows I have had my fair share )

In any event, I am going to continue on the path I have traveled all with the hope of losing more weight, if not today, then tomorrow.

Have a great day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    Actually, a little weight fluctuation is not an "oddity."

It's normal.
    Hello Ann2!

I tend to agree with you in that "fluctuation is not an 'oddity.'"

I am more of the mindset that this is a temporary setback and that soon enough I will be back to losing again. I have no doubts about that.

Have a great day!
    Exactly what is said above. Everyone's (even naturally thin people) weight fluctuates. It is normal. Completely normal. I even go up and down a bit. That is why I have a 5 lb window for my maintenance. My weight will go up and down a lb or two. Now if I were to hit a 5 lb gain and stay there I would have to modify and get it back down. It is all about accountability. But yes, I don't think anyone maintains at the exact same weight day in and day out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Exactly what is said above. Everyone's (even naturally thin people) weight fluctuates. It is normal. Completely normal. I even go up and down a bit. That is why I have a 5 lb window for my maintenance. My weight will go up and down a lb or two. Now if I were to hit a 5 lb gain and stay there I would have to modify and get it back down. It is all about accountability. But yes, I don't think anyone maintains at the exact same weight day in and day out.
    Hello Christie13!

I know...and you're right (again)

I chalk this up to the massive learning curve I am currently experiencing. As with many things regarding VSG WLS, it is something I will have to accept and become adept at utilizing to my advantage (if that's even possible.)

When I told my wife about the losses and subsequent gain, she said I need to stay off of the scale, to which I kindly responded "I can't. Not right now anyway." I know she is right. That I need to step away from the scale and weigh in once a week, but right now, as I am attempting to lose weight and maintain some sense of normalcy in my life, it is difficult to simply walk away from the dreaded thing.

Oh well...I am not beating myself up over the gain because I feel (and know) that it was something that was out of my control. The ONLY THING I can think of that might have caused it would be that I ate too little the day before, therefore it store everything I did eat. But at this point, I will never know.

Have a great weekend!
    While working out you gain muscle and lose the fat. Muscle weighs more than fat. Keep up the good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbpackerschic
    While working out you gain muscle and lose the fat. Muscle weighs more than fat. Keep up the good work!
    Hi there gbpackerschic!

Thank you for the information and the sound advice. I try to keep what you said in the back of mind as I step onto the scale each day. The trick now is not to step onto the scale everyday, but maybe reduce it down to once a week. If I can do that, that will be considered a milestone in and of itself.
    This is very frustrating i completely get where your coming from. Mine has all but stopped and only lost 1lb last month. I know i'm not going to loose much more but i want these last 20lbs gone for ever! so I am going to start a reset soon. Its a 10 day reset and i have tried it once before but i didnt really stick to it because of "life" happened. but this time im gonna go through with it. Good Luck to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by psparks
    This is very frustrating i completely get where your coming from. Mine has all but stopped and only lost 1lb last month. I know i'm not going to loose much more but i want these last 20lbs gone for ever! so I am going to start a reset soon. Its a 10 day reset and i have tried it once before but i didnt really stick to it because of "life" happened. but this time im gonna go through with it. Good Luck to you!
    Hi Pam!

Do you think you can PM (personal message) me the information or a link to the 10 day reset you speak of? I am definitely interested in learning more about this.

I too have about 20-25 pounds left - and the are the most difficult to lose thus far. Could be my own doing, or it could be a genuine stall. "At this point, we don't know." But one thing is for certain, I desperately need a jump start so I can rid myself of this pesky addition weight once and for all.

Hang in there! (Like I said before) You got this. You can do it!