Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

My Reality Is...Part 1

Rate this Entry
Over the course of the past two weeks I have been trying hard to see movement on the scale, only to find that it can be as stubborn as I am and choose not to comply with my wishes. I have increased up my exercise routine (which I understand can build muscle and promote weight gain), I have weaned back even further on my carb intake and focused more on proteins, I have taken a long, hard look at my caloric intake...and yet, nothing.

That was until three days ago.

On June 5, I finally recognized movement with a loss of 2 pounds. Excited doesn't begin to describe this small miracle of success. But consider the struggles I have faced in recent months, I was beginning to think that all hope was lost.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

On June 6, I saw what I consider to be a great success in that I lost 3 more pounds. Fist pumps (not the Jersey Shore television show kind) and hand claps aside, I was elated. I know it was only a total of five pounds in two days, but I was beside myself and felt that all of my hard was FINALLY paying off.

But it didn't stop there.

This morning I stepped on the scale to find that I have lost another two pounds! That is a total of seven pounds in three days! Unreal! Absolutely unreal. At this point I have stopped questioning my weight loss methodology and decided to simply go with it. After all, I am doing something right. To pinpoint it would be difficult but I can only assume that is the accumulation of everything I have been doing thus far. That, and maybe, just maybe, I was in a long and drawn out stall. At this point, I don't know. But to be honest, I don't really care. What I care about now is keeping the momentum going.

After all, isn't this what we all strive for: weight loss success? Failure is not an option (although setbacks do indeed exist.) But by and large, we want to see scale movement, not stagnation. And that's really how I was beginning to feel: stagnant.

After everything I have been through dating back to my original WLS in 2002, I had nearly given up, and for what? Because things weren't working the way I expected them to?

As I write this, I recognize how idiotic my thought process has been. In getting real with myself for a moment, I know I would have hated myself had I truly given up on the VSG. As I previously stated, I have been through so much. So much. I don't think I could have ever forgiven myself for making such a life altering decision.

But I didn't give up on myself or WLS. I stood by idle and waited (sometimes impatiently) as others trudged forward and worked it out. it was in watching this happen that I made a conscious decision to make one last ditch effort: to shake things up, if you will. And look at me now, 7 pounds lighter, a HUGE smile across my face, and a renewed sense of spirit, hope, determination, and dedication.

I WILL DO THIS. Not because I feel I have an obligation to but because this is who I have I have become and this is my life now.

Submit "My Reality Is...Part 1" to Digg Submit "My Reality Is...Part 1" to del.icio.us Submit "My Reality Is...Part 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "My Reality Is...Part 1" to Google

Comments

  1. DutchSleeve's Avatar
    Wow!
    You must be so thrilled!
    Just keep doing what you are doing.
    Like you said: you must do something right!
    And remember: winners never quit and quitters never win.

    You can and will do this!
  2. DHB's Avatar
    I can relate. I seem to be in a regular pattern of no weight loss then a sudden drop, then weeks without movement and a drop. No rhyme or reason. Doesn't seem to relate to my most immediate eating, exercise, etc. I think my body is still hoping this is just a phase and is trying to wait me out. I'm just happy that I'm still moving in the right direction. Slowly, but surely.
  3. Shannon'sVSG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve
    Wow!
    You must be so thrilled!
    Just keep doing what you are doing.
    Like you said: you must do something right!
    And remember: winners never quit and quitters never win.

    You can and will do this!
    Hi DutchSleeve!

    Thrilled doesn't begin to describe my excitement! I am ecstatic over this latest turn of events. I mean, I had no idea it would all move forward the way it has, but I am not complaining. A loss is a loss. I will take it any way I can.
  4. Shannon'sVSG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DHB
    I can relate. I seem to be in a regular pattern of no weight loss then a sudden drop, then weeks without movement and a drop. No rhyme or reason. Doesn't seem to relate to my most immediate eating, exercise, etc. I think my body is still hoping this is just a phase and is trying to wait me out. I'm just happy that I'm still moving in the right direction. Slowly, but surely.
    Hi there Dale!

    It is so frustrating the way things sometimes work out, but in the end, everything is fine, isn't it? I too, am glad that I am moving in the right direction as well. As I stated in my blog entry, I was starting to wonder...

    Have a great day!
  5. KiwiGal's Avatar
    Woohoo! What great news Shannon. I am so pleased that the scale is moving in the right direction for you. I think I can see that smile from over here ;-)
  6. Stacey03's Avatar
    BRILLIANT!!!!! :-)
  7. Shannon'sVSG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal
    Woohoo! What great news Shannon. I am so pleased that the scale is moving in the right direction for you. I think I can see that smile from over here ;-)
    Hey there Lisa!

    I know, right! (regarding the great news)

    I have mixed emotions at the moment: equal parts elation and confusion over the latest (and most epic to date) scale battle since having undergone VSG WLS in September of 2017. But in all honesty, I should have expected that at some point I would come face to face with this monster of a concern. But I didn't, so what ensued was me dealing with a ton of unnecessary drama - drama that could have been avoided had I taken the time to sit back and reflect rather than simply be in the moment.

    All water under the bridge, as they say. I am on the right track and doing so much better that I am giddy with excitement and the anticipation of what is to come.

    Have a great weekend!
  8. Shannon'sVSG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    BRILLIANT!!!!! :-)
    Hey there Edie!

    You have managed to sum up all of my current emotions with the use of a single word: "Brilliant!"

    While I would like to say "you have no idea what I have recently been through," the fact of the matter is, I'm sure you do. In fact, I am fairly certain that most anyone who is at least 8 months post-op knows what I have been through. This is the unnecessary evil we speak of when we post blogs or discuss issues in the forums section here in the Gastric Sleeve community.

    But as I previously said to Lisa (KiwiGal)..."all water under the bridge."

    Have a great weekend!
  9. Ann2's Avatar
    And that, ladies and germs, is exactly how stalls break. Finally. After persisting. And persisting.

    Losing and eventually maintaining our weight is NOT magic or even arcane. It's just doing every day what we need to do. We won't be "perfect" every day, however you define "perfect," because nobody is. Some days what we need to do is get back up on the horse that threw us.

    Courage!
  10. Shannon'sVSG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    And that, ladies and germs, is exactly how stalls break. Finally. After persisting. And persisting.

    Losing and eventually maintaining our weight is NOT magic or even arcane. It's just doing every day what we need to do. We won't be "perfect" every day, however you define "perfect," because nobody is. Some days what we need to do is get back up on the horse that threw us.

    Courage!
    Hello Ann2!

    "Courage," as you say, mixed with equal parts determination and dedication are what I feel finally pushed me through the stall I was faced with. I won't lie, at times it was extremely difficult to step onto the scale feeling that it would seemingly be yet another day and another failed attempt, but in the end, against my better judgement, I did just that. And I continued to do so until FINALLY I saw movement. Now I find that I am on the scale every morning when I wake up. That is not to say I allow it to make or break my day, but I want to get back to tracking my weight instead avoiding it.

    Have a wonderful day!
  11. psparks's Avatar
    Thank you i needed to read this, and I am encouraged for my own weightloss has stalled and i too had given up. I will keep trudging through and keep going!
  12. Shannon'sVSG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psparks
    Thank you i needed to read this, and I am encouraged for my own weightloss has stalled and i too had given up. I will keep trudging through and keep going!
    Hi Pam!

    You're welcome, and thank you for reading my blog. It is much appreciated.

    Don't give up. Speaking from experience, in the end, all we truly have is the ability to "trudge through and keep going."

    Hang in there. You got this. You can go this.