Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

donnahellno

Fears and thoughts

Rate this Entry
My initial appointment with the surgeon is next week. I'm down about 14 pounds so far, and about 30 from my heaviest. It feels nice, even just making slow progress.

Today, my husband and I went to local caverns and did a guided tour. While waiting for the tour to start, I was reading the facts about it and just getting myself so scared. I kept thinking about what if I couldn't do it? Then I felt awful because, at my age, I should be signing up for the advanced tours. The tour guide warned us about a narrow spot and I started to panic inside that I would be too big to make it through. I was totally fine, but the thought was there.

I am so nervous about surgery, but I just want to be able to live life. I want to go hiking and biking and be able to run and play. I already do most of that, I try not to let anything hold me back, but I want to be able to do these things without it feeling like such a massive battle.

In the end, the tour was great. No issues. I also have fibromyalgia, and on some days it's awful. Since I've been losing weight, it has felt much better, but that could also be related to the warmer weather.

As the appointment with the surgeon gets closer, I get more nervous. I'm excited though.

How do you find weight appropriate exercise? I am very afraid of hurting my joints.

Submit "Fears and thoughts" to Digg Submit "Fears and thoughts" to del.icio.us Submit "Fears and thoughts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Fears and thoughts" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Don't get yourself to riled up and nervous about it. You need to tell yourself how much your health will improve after the surgery. In my case the surgery process went very well and I have not really had any bad negative experience as of yet. I am 6 weeks post op down 57 lbs, down 5 pant sizes and loving life.

I just hit under 300 lbs Saturday morning for the first time in probably 25 years?? It's things like this that can make it all worthwhile. I don't think you need to be nervous at all, just stay positive and think of what you will be like a couple months down the road. It will change your life and your whole attitude. I am so glad I did this. I hope you do well on your journey, keep your head up, you will do fine!!
    Congratulations on your journey so far.

I am a worrier by nature, I have anxiety so it's just me. I try to avoid it.

What is your day to day life like at six weeks post op?

Quote Originally Posted by The North Sleeve
    Don't get yourself to riled up and nervous about it. You need to tell yourself how much your health will improve after the surgery. In my case the surgery process went very well and I have not really had any bad negative experience as of yet. I am 6 weeks post op down 57 lbs, down 5 pant sizes and loving life.

I just hit under 300 lbs Saturday morning for the first time in probably 25 years?? It's things like this that can make it all worthwhile. I don't think you need to be nervous at all, just stay positive and think of what you will be like a couple months down the road. It will change your life and your whole attitude. I am so glad I did this. I hope you do well on your journey, keep your head up, you will do fine!!
    Take it one day at a time! Don't worry about the stuff that will come way down the road just deal with the immediate.

Losing weight will do wonders for any medical conditions you might have. There really is no substitute for weight loss.

Once the weight comes off you will be able to do things your couldn't imagine doing! I am a complete testament to that!

Try not to stress, and keep your eye on the prize.

No regrets here!
    My surgeon always said listen to your body. Start by walking and then add things in. Never over do it. Listening to your body is key. This is an exciting time. As you start to lose weight you are going to be able to do more and more. Try new things. Find what you like. You will be amazed at how much your body will change and the amazing things you will be able to do without limitations.
    Hi donnahellno!

First I want to congratulate you on your weight loss success thus far! No amount of weight lost is too small so keep up the great work!

I understand you anxiety regarding the cavern experienced you outlined above. I too, had a similar experience when I was at my heaviest. It was at a world renowned theme park and involved a ride wherein I was required to utilize a seat belt extension which nearly didn't fit around my stomach. The ride began to move forward before I was secured in my seat and I began to freak out yelling out that I couldn't fasten the belt. The ride attendant rushed to my aid just before the ride launched away from the loading dock, but in that split second before he helped me my anxiety got the better of me and I panicked.

That was my turning point.

Regarding your surgery: I understand your concerns, but rest assured that by and large most folks come through it without an issue, are able to get up and walk on the first day (something you will really want to do in the hospital), and manage to make great strides post-op. I have no doubt you will be one of those people.

Stay strong. You can do this.

Have a great week!
    How are you losing weight? I have to lose 15 lbs prior to surgery and it feels impossible!