Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

Some Personal Insight into My VSG: part 1

Rate this Entry
As my wife and I sat on the front porch yesterday rocking together in the cool breeze and enjoying the wonderful South Dakota weather, we entered into a rather lengthy discussion about or weight loss journeys (where and how it all began), where we see ourselves in another year, how we hope to achieve our individual goal weight, and the steps we can do as individuals and collectively to make these things come to fruition. What we discovered during our discussion was not only exciting, it was eye opening as well.

You may remember me having refered to myself as an obese male in previous blogs, and while I understand why some of you don't necessarily agree with that term, I want you to know that it is in no way meant to be derogatory in nature. What I refer to is the fact that despite my weight loss success, I will always be an obese male on the inside because I refuse to ignore where I came from in exchange for where I currently am. Instead, I choose to embrace who I once was and acknowledge that (as I know firsthand) it can all be taken away with a few bad choices.

Does this mean I feel fat? Yes and no. I do to some degree feel this way because in 2005 I underwent abdominal hernia repair surgery. It was an open procedure because they found there were multiple hernias that were in need of repair. Upon completion of said surgery, and during the process of closing me up, the surgeon inadvertently made a pouch above my belly button that slightly protrudes outward. So no matter how much weight I lose, I will have this pouch that reminds of a smaller belly, which in turn makes me feel like I have more weight to lose. It is all purely psychological, but it is there and it serves as an obscure reminder that I was once obese.

Am I obese? No. And I know this. But this pouch is something I wish I could have surgically removed. The only way I can see that taking place is to have a body lift that would possible stretch if downward and smooth it out. Otherwise I am forced to live with it. Again, all purely psychological. But I digress...

Does this mean I currently have self image issues? Yes. I think to some degree, we all as VSG'ers have some form of image issue because the weight falls off at such a rapid pace that we find ourselves left with nothing but loose, sagging skin. But it is all part of the process of WLS (something you should already be aware of as you research whether or not this procedure is for you.)

One thing we read and hear from other WLS recipients is regarding resentment over having underwent the surgery. What my wife and I agreed upon during our conversation yesterday was that neither of us has ever regretted having VSG WLS. We both feel it has been a Godsend, and are grateful that our insurance was willing to pay for it. Granted, it was a trying process as our paperwork submissions to said insurance company was overlooked and we were forced to press the issue until it was resolved. But in the grand scheme of things, and knowing full well that some individuals aren't as lucky to have been given such a blessing, we truly know just how lucky we are.

In reading over what I currently have written for this post, I realize just how long it actually is, so with that said, I am going to close for now. I will make another submission later continuing with this topic, but in the meantime, should you have any questions about my experiences and/or thoughts about my experiences, feel free to post them below and I will acknowledge them all accordingly - and in some instances add them to the blog itself.

Until next time...!

Submit "Some Personal Insight into My VSG: part 1" to Digg Submit "Some Personal Insight into My VSG: part 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Some Personal Insight into My VSG: part 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Some Personal Insight into My VSG: part 1" to Google

Comments