Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

Coming Clean

Rate this Entry
In recent days I have decided in my own small way to come clean about the fact that in 2002 I had a failed RnY procedure. As a direct result, in September of 2017 I underwent a VSG revision to correct a portion of my stomach that was produced in an oversized matter.

I say this not because I feel in some way guilty about having undergone a revision – because the truth of the matter is that my reduced stomach in 2002 was produced in such a way that it was almost a certainty that weight gain was inevitable. The logistics are not necessary, but I can with confidence say that the proper testing was completed prior to being approved for my VSG, and because of said findings, my insurance company felt it was medically necessary to approve the revision.

Because of my admittance I know some of the “veteran’s” out there might disagree with my belonging to this VSG community, but rest assured that I am as much a VSG recipient as anyone else here. The only difference being that I underwent a RnY that was performed wrong. If this weren’t the case, I feel confident in saying that I would have reached my goal weight and that this blog wouldn’t be taking place.

But alas, I am here. I am a thriving member of this community. I have a VSG. I am fighting and learning and with any ounce of hope helping someone else who may be struggling with some of the issues I have posted on my blog thus far.

I do not profess to be a medical professional. I simply speak from experience, and when I am uncertain about a certain topic, I do a great deal of research before I choose to post one word about the given topic.

You may disagree with my approach, and that is fine. I am not here to please everyone. I am here to receive help, meet like-minded individuals who are warm in heart and willing to provide insight based on their own journey, and if possible, help someone else much in the manner that I have been helped. If that rubs you the wrong way, well…I would say that is a personal issue and that it doesn’t belong within the pages of this community. Furthermore, if you have a personal issue with me or my content, email me directly at shannon_crosby@yahoo.com and we will sort it out. I am an easy going individual who welcomes all communique, good, bad, or indifferent.

In closing, there are a plethora of individuals I would love to personally thank for your guidance, tutelage, help, and friendship. You are all amazing individuals and I would like to think that without naming each and everyone of you, you are more than aware of who you are.

Thank you.

Shannon

Submit "Coming Clean" to Digg Submit "Coming Clean" to del.icio.us Submit "Coming Clean" to StumbleUpon Submit "Coming Clean" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I don't think that anybody will or would have a problem with you being in this forum. You have had a sleeve - and there are some people who are just deciding now on which surgery to have. I had read from others who had revisions - so you are where you need to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyseahorse
    I don't think that anybody will or would have a problem with you being in this forum. You have had a sleeve - and there are some people who are just deciding now on which surgery to have. I had read from others who had revisions - so you are where you need to be.

Hi there simplyseahorse!

While I tend to agree with you, there was an "incident." But I quickly chose to discard that situation and continue to do what I do - which is search for like-minded individuals who are not only warm hearted but willing to share their success stories so that individuals like myself can benefit from their experiences.

And thank you...for letting me know that I am "where I need to be." I feel the same way. This community as a whole is amazing and I wouldn't trade it for the world!
    Shannon, I'm curious ... do you still have a pyloric valve (between your stomach/sleeve and your small intestine)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    Shannon, I'm curious ... do you still have a pyloric valve (between your stomach/sleeve and your small intestine)?
    Hello Ann2.

I do in fact still have a pyloric valve. Why do you ask?
    I asked because I've understood (rightly or wrongly) that gastric bypass (RnY) surgery (1) creates a small pouch out of the stomach, (2) bypasses both the patient's pyloric valve and a portion of small intestine, and (3) attaches the surgically formed pouch to a lower section of small intestine. That means there's not a valve on the bottom end of RnY patients' pouches that slows the passage of food from the pouch to the small intestine.

I wasn't sure whether in your prior RnY and the subsequent sleeve revision if the pyloric valve had been preserved. If it hadn't been preserved, I could see how your sensation of fullness after eating would be compromised and you might think your sleeve had stretched (a topic about which you posted the other day).

BTW, I didn't know you'd had any WLS revision until I read this blog post. You're the only person I've heard of who has had sleeve surgery AFTER having had RnY surgery, since that conversion more normally happens the other way around.
    No judgement. I think that you definitely belong here. You are just as sleeved as the rest of us. Although, knowing that you previously had a botched bypass makes sense why you would lose a bit slower and have a tougher time. From all I have read on here, the band to sleeve revisions all tend to lose slower. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    No judgement. I think that you definitely belong here. You are just as sleeved as the rest of us.
    Hi Christie13!

Thank you. Those few words go a long way with me because I was beginning to think that because I had previously undergone RnY WLS that I would be looked down upon. Yes, some of this was my doing, but there were some things that presented themselves that made me question if my being here was the right thing to do. I now know it was. Most everyone here has made me feel as though I am welcome here; that I belong to this community; that I am integral part of this community (as is everyone here).

Armed with that understanding, I am determined to continue on my path to success, to see my way to my goal weight, and to help anyone I can through testimonials of my personal journey.

Thank you for everything!

Have a great weekend!