Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

Stress After Weight Loss Surgery

Rate this Entry
From a personal standpoint, since September 2017 (the date of my WLS), I now recognize that I have encountered several mind numbing and sometimes life altering stressors. Yes, some of these stressors were minor in comparison, while others were fairly significant. But through it all I found that when encountering said stressors, generally speaking, several things are usually taking place at once.

Allow me to explain:

Stress after weight loss surgery can be significant in that you will be dealing with a multitude of long-term lifestyle changes. Your new lifestyle will include a multitude of dietary changes, a new exercise routine and a plethora of social changes that you may not have been expecting but are, none the less, encountering. Accompanying these changes, there are many behaviors, emotions and thoughts that can affect the outcome and overall success of your weight loss surgery. However, if you are able to recognize these unwanted stressors and the subsequent warning signs that follow, the overwhelming feelings associated with said emotions should be minimized and can be easily manageable.

In order to be successful with these long-term commitments, you can learn how to effectively handle any arising stressors or negative emotions and apply the following techniques to your everyday routine. Not doing so could easily find yourself relying on unhealthy behaviors that could potentially hinder your progress and lead to unwanted weight regain.

In the beginning, the amount of weight you will lose after weight loss surgery is staggering. And while it may appear to be a “quick fix” to problems that plagued your life while you were overweight, the reality is such that with drastic weight loss comes drastic mental changes as well. Taking the time to understand just how far you’ve come, and by allowing yourself a small pat on the back every now and again, allows you to find the proper steps to move forward and deal with new emotional challenges effectively.

Some changes associated with weight loss surgery include but are not limited to:

A negative body image. Despite having lost the weight, you may still not like what you see in the mirror.

Relationship issues. This may include problems you previously had with a loved one, or new problems due to the dramatic adjustment you and your loved ones are facing.

Time management concerns. Your new lifestyle goals will require time that you may have normally spent doing something else. Balancing your new schedule with your old life may leave you feeling overwhelmed.

Social anxiety. Social interaction may be difficult after undergoing such a dramatic transformation, whereas newfound attention may make you feel uncomfortable or anxious in social settings.

Each of these issues can cause a great deal of stress to develop after your weight loss surgery. If you practice positive coping methods, you can better deal with stress and avoid any potential weight regain that may result.

Some positive ways to deal with stress and avoid negative behaviors include but are not limited to:

Meditation. Taking a few minutes out of your day to clear your head and breath is extremely beneficial. Take time in your mornings and nights to separate yourself from any negativity you may be retaining a slowly learn to let it all go.

Create a schedule. And stick to it! If you’re finding that time is stressing you out the most, create a realistic daily schedule. If things are planned out, you are less likely to stress over time management.

Find new and creative ways to love yourself. Don’t avoid mirrors or reflections. Face who you are and find things about yourself that you love. Find positive affirmations that you can repeat to yourself when you feel negative thoughts creep into the darker recesses of your mind.

Journal. Write down how you feel when you are stressed. That way, you can pinpoint exactly what has been upsetting you and work to eliminate or better handle these emotions.

Support groups. Don’t feel ashamed to seek out like-minded individuals to talk with. You’re not alone, and connecting with other people who are going through the same things can relieve some of the pressure you may be feeling.

Creative outlets. If you don’t like talking about how you’re feeling, find another way to get it out. Drawing, painting or even building model airplanes can get your mind off of your stress and leave you feeling relaxed and accomplished.

No matter how you decide to tackle stress, just remember that it is normal to feel overwhelmed after weight loss surgery. You’ve overcome a lot of obstacles, and with the right amount of determination and armed with the proper mindset, you can continue to move towards a healthier lifestyle and complete your wellness goals.

Have a great rest of your week and an exceptional weekend!

Submit "Stress After Weight Loss Surgery" to Digg Submit "Stress After Weight Loss Surgery" to del.icio.us Submit "Stress After Weight Loss Surgery" to StumbleUpon Submit "Stress After Weight Loss Surgery" to Google

Comments

This is great advice Shannon. Thank you for posting. I sometimes find it hard when I haven't seen people for a while and they comment on my weight loss.All lovely things but I feel kind of embarrassed. I don't really know why. I think I blush!
    Talk about stress, I'm now the caregiver of my 91 year old mom who has totally lost her short term memory. I visit her daily and try to get her involved in activities. She will only participate in something if I go with her, so I'm playing bingo with old people which is not how I planned to spend retirement. Every day I answer the same questions a zillion times. Every day I have to bring her checkbook to prove I am paying her bills. It goes on and on. Then I feel guilty for moving her from her state to mine, like did the move cause her to go crazy?

How do I handle it without getting fat again?

1. Every morning I hike in my woods. Heaven. Makes me happy. Makes me forget my stress.
    2. Joined a support group for caregivers. Other people who understand my feelings.
    3. Have a rule at home that I can "vent" about mom for 15 minutes and then change the subject.
    Hi there Edie!

Regarding the post...you're more than welcome. I know we all at different levels and at different times experience stress, so I thought that this would be a fitting post for the community as a whole.

I can relate to how you feel when seeing people who haven't seen you in some time and then comment on your weight loss. My personal struggles aside, I know I am doing something right because when this happens to me, I find myself at a loss for words. And when I do say something, it is usually a delayed "thank you" or something similar in nature. Because to me, I see myself everyday. The changes is slow and sometimes hard to notice. But for those who have had an absence from my life, I can understand their surprise.

None the less, it's still an embarrassing moment for me.
    Hey there sraebaer!

Although I was never her caregiver, I can understand the stressors involved with someone who has lost their memory. My Granny (with whom I was extremely close) had dementia. As such, alone I often found myself at wits end, but when I was with her, I treated her as I would have on any given day: we discussed art (her favorite subject), my children and wife...we even discussed my tattoos (something she never frowned upon because to her, it was a form of art.) It was hard. REALLY hard. But I knew it was a condition that was out of her control.

How did I handle said stressors without regaining my weight?

1. I had a conversation with my higher power and asked for help in understanding what has happened to my beloved Grandmother.
    2. I joined this community - a Godsend if there ever was one.
    3. I would allow myself "moments" wherein I would release the negative energy that tried to consume me. If it meant that I would cry, I would cry. If it mean that I would take out my anger on a punching bag, I would do that as well.

I simply refused to allow her dementia to consume me, because I knew the condition was not her and that if I tried hard enough, somewhere inside of her, something we discussed would ring familiar at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon'sVSG
    Hey there sraebaer!

Although I was never her caregiver, I can understand the stressors involved with someone who has lost their memory. My Granny (with whom I was extremely close) had dementia. As such, alone I often found myself at wits end, but when I was with her, I treated her as I would have on any given day: we discussed art (her favorite subject), my children and wife...we even discussed my tattoos (something she never frowned upon because to her, it was a form of art.) It was hard. REALLY hard. But I knew it was a condition that was out of her control.

How did I handle said stressors without regaining my weight?

1. I had a conversation with my higher power and asked for help in understanding what has happened to my beloved Grandmother.
    2. I joined this community - a Godsend if there ever was one.
    3. I would allow myself "moments" wherein I would release the negative energy that tried to consume me. If it meant that I would cry, I would cry. If it mean that I would take out my anger on a punching bag, I would do that as well.

I simply refused to allow her dementia to consume me, because I knew the condition was not her and that if I tried hard enough, somewhere inside of her, something we discussed would ring familiar at some point.
    Thanks for the words of wisdom. It's just so hard being patient and loving when she drives me nuts. But I have to remember that it's not her fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    Thanks for the words of wisdom. It's just so hard being patient and loving when she drives me nuts. But I have to remember that it's not her fault.
    Hi there sraebaer!

You're quite welcome (for the words of wisdom.) Anything I can do to help, anytime.

Have a great weekend!