Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sandra3

28 months, 2018 did bring health issues...and regain..oh well...still alive!

Rate this Entry
Hello dear friends!!

Long time no see! I hope you are all doing great!! I must say I do miss many of you, but had so little time to do things for myself...hopefully Summer will bring more "me time"...with real time off!

Anyway a little health update : I finished the year 2017 at the ER for New Year's eve dinner. I was so exhausted for cleaning and cooking non stop for one full week with so many house guests, I didn't rest and the flu symptoms I got at the office like all my colleagues got out of control, did trigger my asthma which went even more out of control...and here we were, starting the year under a mask in an hospital room...yeah!

So I started 2018 with lots of antibiotics, and here we go... very heavy on cortisone too (saving my life but again making me gain weight like crazy)..gained 8 pounds in two days. My lungs took almost two months to clear...

Until April I had "floating pounds", 3 up and down but not loosing those 8 for sure...and going away for one week in April, I was a little "relaxed" about my diet, had three drinks (I usually don't drink alcohol) dessert three times and gained an other 2 pounds. Argh!

So here we are at the end of May, with a steady 10 pounds gain, I'm seriously thinking about going a little more low carbs and watch more my food intake (I'm packing my lunch and avoid the cafeteria since January but that doesn't even help) but...I'm eating the same "diet" since September so it's hard to understand how I lost so much from September to December, then the medication just messed up everything and I lost my "balance"..(except during the vacations in April, I know for sure I was eating more sweets than usual but the trigger was really the wine for that gain) and I'm starting to think that I need to get my body composition checked (last time was in July) because....I'm wearing the same suits! and it's a little tight around the belly area but not that much...weird right?

Also I have been stressed a lot for the past months, my work load is huge, commuting with weeks of non stop strike in Paris is driving me crazy.....and the real bad part: my 16 years old got rejected from the very one University she really wanted to enter so we had to find a B plan...it's Stress everyday from everywhere...and we all know stress is not good for weight loss..

I'm waiting to hear from HR if I will get the posting I want, it is taking for ever to get an answer and it seems I'm not on the right part of the list (because I'm just back from overseas, colleagues who are in Paris for 2 years and more are ahead of me..).

Anyway, June is right here at the corner, I can't wait to get warmer weather, see more of that that sun I missed so much, and I know I will be able to rest more in July (and the three months strike should also be finished in July) and have an easier commute.

BUT I will also try to sleep more, I'm really sleepless those past weeks, and I'm finishing that message at 4 AM! bad bad bad...

Please send me some good news and tell me how you are all doing!

Take care!

Submit "28 months, 2018 did bring health issues...and regain..oh well...still alive!" to Digg Submit "28 months, 2018 did bring health issues...and regain..oh well...still alive!" to del.icio.us Submit "28 months, 2018 did bring health issues...and regain..oh well...still alive!" to StumbleUpon Submit "28 months, 2018 did bring health issues...and regain..oh well...still alive!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi Sandra!

So sorry to hear of the issues and/or concerns you have been faced with as of late. Having to push through issues like the ones you have outlined above certainly do not make the overall struggle to maintain a "normal" weight any easier. But I have faith in the fact that you can pull through all of this and come out on the other side shining much like the superstar you truly are.

Hang in there. I know life makes living difficult, but it is how we handle those times that reflects the resiliency our characters possess.

I too, am in a struggle, but I am determined to push through it all. I refuse to bow to anything less than myself - and in the moment that that actually happens, it will be the moment I reach my goal weight (I am currently 237 lbs. and my goal weight is 185 lbs.)

Have a great rest of your week!
    I'm sorry to hear of your health problems.
    I hope that you get better soon and that your prednison can be stopped.

Yeah, life happens...
    But you can do this!
    You know what you can do and what you have to do.
    You'll be fine!

Just one thing: I have learned that "me time" never, ever is brought to me, you have to take that yourself...
    So take your "me time", you deserve it.

(I remenber taking my "me time" in the bathroom sitting on the toilet seat with a book. That was years ago, when I had to take care of my two mentally challenged children. That was my only way of taking that time. )
    Oh that was a bit of a blow. Things can knock us sideways in life but it sounds like you have a plan to get back in the saddle. You can do it. Forget the past and just look forward. The past has gone :-)
    Hi Shannon,
    Thank's for your message of support!
    Antibiotics and cortisone had always that side effect on me (it is my trigger for obesity) but so far I was able to loose the pounds in a few weeks (had the same issue in 2016 post sleeve, did gain a lot in a few days but it was gone after less than two months). When I was much heavier in 2010 I could gain 30 pounds with the medication, and it would take 3 months of strict diet to see it go away. Here I think because I reached the "two years spot" where so many gain back 5 to 10% may be I'm experimenting some "bouncing back". But I'm seeing a plastic surgeon next month and I'm guessing he will not like that gain...anyway...I'm thankful to the medication for saving my life...I have to figure out what my metabolism is doing right now...hopefully it's not some hormonal issue linked to that heavy dosage I took in January..
    Thank you for your message!
    I stopped the medication in February but because the dosage was so high I think it's taking a long time to get out of my system.
    I'm suspecting hormonal issue now...but will get blood tests soon. And I'm trying to slowly lower my carb intake (but no crazy low carb) just to see if it's also helping, and do more walking as well to balance my metabolism...I wish I had more time to exercise....

And you are right, I didn't really get a real vacation since last July, the move, new position, "new country" (I'm back home but after 15 years overseas feels kind of like a foreign country)..a lot of stress and no me time. I do try to take a few minutes each day to focus and relax..but it's not doing the trick! Hopefully I should be able to take real time off in July...can't wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    Oh that was a bit of a blow. Things can knock us sideways in life but it sounds like you have a plan to get back in the saddle. You can do it. Forget the past and just look forward. The past has gone :-)
    Hi Stacey,
    Thanks for your message.
    I always knew obesity was here for life but my frustration here is that I can't even be upset at my diet which has been always consistent since surgery (even before but that's an other story). Fighting again against "outside factors" is just a real pain in the neck....but I'm positive I will find my way back on the horse!
    Sandra, hullo. Nice to see you back.

Here's what I can offer that may or may not apply to your situation. Ever since I went through menopause 20+ years ago, the quality and quantity of my sleep declined. And sleep deprivation makes everything in my life harder, including weight maintenance.

Not often, but sometimes I resort to sleep aids of various kinds, e.g., Tylenol PM (benadryl), melatonin, even (rarely) Ambien.

I've also been working since being sleeved to improve my sleep hygiene. You know the drill -- dark room, cool room, go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time, relaxation exercises, exercise during the day (not at night), etc. Honestly, the better my sleep hygiene, the better I sleep.

So maybe if you could sleep longer and better that might help you turn the corner on your 10-pound regain by reducing the stress in your life. ???

I'm also going to say that, based solely on my own experiences after four years post-op, I don't think there's anything magical that our bodies do at 2 years or 3 or 4 years after being sleeved that "makes us gain weight." Put more bluntly, I don't think "bounceback" is an inevitable metabolic phenomenon. I think it's a result of what and how much we continue to eat eat, how and how much we continue to exercise, how well we continue to care for ourselves, and how well we continue to focus on living the healthier lifestyle we were once so excited about when we were losing weight and newly slimmer. Those are my two cents' worth.

I hope you can get on top of this and lose soon the 10 pounds you've regained. You're such a smart, strong person (I remember you well from the many months you spent here) and certainly have the mental resources to solve this challenge. Best to you!
    Hello Ann!

Thank you for your caring message!

In May I was also taking antihistaminic medication, forgot about it but my doctor was telling me that could also explain the second gain. My body is just so weird, all my doctors are always scratching their heads with my tests results and my very tricky metabolism..

I'm also thinking that since I have so much water retention lately, I might be getting close from menopause?? who knows...but for sure something is going on...

I met my "old plastic surgeon" who did some reconstruction on me 25 years ago. I 'm thinking about finally going with him for my surgeries, he will retire next year so I need to make up my mind soon.
    I'm going low carb very soon to try to "rebalance" my metabolism and get ready for surgery.

I will let you know how it goes!
    Take careXX

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    Sandra, hullo. Nice to see you back.

Here's what I can offer that may or may not apply to your situation. Ever since I went through menopause 20+ years ago, the quality and quantity of my sleep declined. And sleep deprivation makes everything in my life harder, including weight maintenance.

Not often, but sometimes I resort to sleep aids of various kinds, e.g., Tylenol PM (benadryl), melatonin, even (rarely) Ambien.

I've also been working since being sleeved to improve my sleep hygiene. You know the drill -- dark room, cool room, go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time, relaxation exercises, exercise during the day (not at night), etc. Honestly, the better my sleep hygiene, the better I sleep.

So maybe if you could sleep longer and better that might help you turn the corner on your 10-pound regain by reducing the stress in your life. ???

I'm also going to say that, based solely on my own experiences after four years post-op, I don't think there's anything magical that our bodies do at 2 years or 3 or 4 years after being sleeved that "makes us gain weight." Put more bluntly, I don't think "bounceback" is an inevitable metabolic phenomenon. I think it's a result of what and how much we continue to eat eat, how and how much we continue to exercise, how well we continue to care for ourselves, and how well we continue to focus on living the healthier lifestyle we were once so excited about when we were losing weight and newly slimmer. Those are my two cents' worth.

I hope you can get on top of this and lose soon the 10 pounds you've regained. You're such a smart, strong person (I remember you well from the many months you spent here) and certainly have the mental resources to solve this challenge. Best to you!
    Sandra, thanks for sharing so candidly. I too have a tricky (as in my 7 ologists can't figure it out) weird things with my health.

But you've made a great step with the increased protein and reduced carbs. I'm only 10 months out, but just know you are never on your own!