Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

I Am My Own Worst Enemy

Rate this Entry
Something I should have been doing from day one is counting calories, but to be honest, in the beginning I didn't think it was necessary due to the internal shut off valve that appears to exist when you undergo the VSG procedure.

For months, my newly formed stomach would let me know when I had reached capacity, thus resulting in limitations being placed on what I could eat and how much of I was capable of eating.

At 8 months post-op, that no longer appears to be the case.

I am finding that my caloric intake very much influences the manner in which I feel success or failure on any given day.

As many of you may already know, I have once again started the food journal and calorie/carbohydrate counting process. I have done so for many reasons, but the primary purpose of me choosing to revisit this rather simplistic method of tallying my daily consumables is because I have been in a stall of sorts. I will see some success only to quickly fall back into the day's previous weight. Frustrating as this is, and after having done an extensive amount of research into what could be causing this, i.e.: medications, excess calorie consumption, muscles building and exercise, carbohydrate overload, etc. What I have concluded is that although all of the above-mentioned concerns can cause weight gain, the likelihood of any one item outlined above being the root cause is slim. This is not to say that these do not cause weight gain on their own, rather it is a statement that it is generally a combination of these things that is the culprit.

Armed with this understanding, I have taken a stand against myself in that I have decided to put an end to the flip-flop weight issues I have been experiencing. I have consulted my physician regarding my medication, discussed exercise with a surgeon, and have read various articles regarding caloric/carbohydrate intake. In all of this, there is a common denominator: me.

I am my own worst enemy.

I know some of you may disagree with some, if not all of what I am saying, but once again, this is based solely on my personal experiences. I am medicated. I am exercising daily. Based on my food journal entries, I am consuming too many calories/carbohydrates. All of these things coupled together has played hell on my physical and emotional state, and I have had enough. It is time I regain control before everything spirals out of control.

Submit "I Am My Own Worst Enemy" to Digg Submit "I Am My Own Worst Enemy" to del.icio.us Submit "I Am My Own Worst Enemy" to StumbleUpon Submit "I Am My Own Worst Enemy" to Google

Comments

Taking control is a great plan Shannon. I might even start logging food on mfp now I am able to eat a bit more. Knowing what you are actually eating is wise I reckon.
    Shannon, very well stated. And true for many of us. I'm one of those who has to track (a bit OCD to deal with life) and carb over consumption, even healthy ones, spikes me up. It also seems to be related to water retention, which is exacerbated when I don't drink enough.

I do put in every bite in MyPlate (free from Livestrong); even when I know I've made a poor choice, I am sure to add it because it as to what might be my "culprit".

I have also found noting my feelings when I am "carb" hungry has helped some; thank you for sharing!
    Edie!

I think formulating a plan is the easy part. Executing said plan...now that is where it gets a little tricky. Granted, a food diary is pretty much a no-brainer, however, keeping up with it is where the difficulty lies.

But I list everything from the day's date, my weight that morning, whether or not I have required the use of Furosemide (water pills) because I do have slight problem with this from time to time, and the morning, noon, and evening food lists - to include any snack I may have along the way, the calories for each item, and the carbohydrates for each item.

I have allotted myself 1,000 calories per day and no more that 100 carbs per day. That may seem high, but I based these numbers off of the national average for someone 8 months post-op.

Have yourself a wonderful week!
    Hi Annie!

Thank you for the kind words Annie. I try to be as accurate as I can possibly be when posting because I know there is someone out there who is going through the same or similar conditions as me. That is the main driving force behind the blog posts anyway. That and the fact that they serve as a reminder to me of where I am, where I have been, and where I am going.

Have yourself an amazing week!
    Shannon congratulations on doing a reboot to get going in the right direction again. You made the decision to do better and you will surely do just take. Continue executing your plan for the desire results! Keep up posted!
    Hi SassyWade!

Thank you for the words of encouragement! They are greatly appreciated and do not go unrecognized.

You're correct in saying that I made the right decision, but to be honest, I don't feel like I decided anything. My VSG /WLS decided this all for me. I am simply an individual in need and as such, my body recognizes that I am struggling. And because I refuse to gain back the weight I have lost thus far...I really do not have any other options.

Peek in from time to time as I generally post a new blog every morning. I look forward to hearing from / seeing you again. All the best!

Have a great week!
    Hi Shannon

I admire the way you are so open and honest with your blogs. It is so refreshing.
    I also admire the way that you own the issue and are taking steps to find a way to work with your sleeve.

As you say we are all accountable for ourselves. We have the tool and now we have to figure out how it works best for us as individuals. While we know the basics we are all learning everyday.

I was never told to count calories - only to not let my daily intake fall below 800 once I was back eating all foods. However I track every mouthful - both in a notebook and on an app. Everything goes in the notebook, weight (yes, I weigh daily), food, bowel motions, exercise. It keeps me accountable to myself.

I have found that carbohydrates are definitely are not helpful. I have had the occasional piece of toast for breakfast (some days a protein shake just won't cut it) and not only does this add a heap of calories to my daily total it also doesn't feel that great and doesn't satisfy me for long.
    I also have a pedometer to make sure that I get in at least 10,000 steps a day.

Good luck with your plan. I know that you have the strength and commitment to make this work for you.
    I also do worse if I eat too many carbs (mostly bread type). I do best when I focus on my meat and then veggies. When I eat too many carbs I feel sluggish and my weight will go up. So I fill on the good stuff first. But I do allow myself some flexibility because if I do not then I want to just stuff my face with the bad things. You need to find some time to meditate and have a good mantra for some inner peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal
    I admire the way you are so open and honest with your blogs. It is so refreshing. I also admire the way that you own the issue and are taking steps to find a way to work with your sleeve.

Good luck with your plan. I know that you have the strength and commitment to make this work for you.

Hey there Lisa!

Thank you many times over for the kind words and recognition (although, to be honest with you, I am not quite sure where to go with it other than to continue doing what I am doing.)

There really is no other way to openly discuss the issues and concerns I am faced with than to acknowledge and own each one of them individually. It is all too easy to find reasons to blame other factors for weight gain, etc., but until I am able to look at myself and recognize that I am responsible for the outcome of my lives, I will never find the peace and happiness I strive to achieve.

I have since gone back to weighing myself daily as well. I find that I do better when there is some level of accountability in place - and it just so happens that the scale serves that purpose tenfold.

I am fighting the carbohydrate issue right now. If you don't mind me asking, what is your daily allotment of said carbs? I am not trying to compare notes, rather am looking to see if I am within the realm of reason or off in some fantasy land.

Again, thank you. I am trying hard to find a plan and stick with it that will benefit me mot only now but in the long run as well.

Have a great rest of your week!
    Hi Christie13!

I too, try to focus on my proteins and veggies first and carbs last, but as you well know - and especially if you are with friends and/or family, that can be a very hard task to accomplish. But I need to be diligent and go into any given situation with a preconceived game plan in the back of mind.

Have a great rest of your week!
    Hi Shannon

Looking at this week to date I have averaged just over 800 (817 to be exact) calories a day. Of that 42% Protein, 36% carbohydrate, 22% fat. I actually don't pay too much attention to the percentages. As long as I know that I am getting my allotted grams of protein - around 80g - and then a few vegetables/salad items and a piece of fruit I'm ok. That along with about 1 1/2 - 2 litres of water seems to suit me. I'm 55 and 5'2" so maybe not a good comparison for you.

I'm sure all will be good with you. You have the right attitude to make this work :-)
    Taking control is always a good idea.
    But does this mean you were not in control?
    At 8 months out?
    Our sleeve does its job, but we are the ones putting food in there.
    That is our control, we have to be vigilant and aware from day 1 till... welll, the end.

At 8 months we are still in the loosing phase.
    I think we all have to use that phase to its full potential.
    It still comes relatively easy, due to the metabolic change from the surgery, but it will be harder to loose, once we are over 1,5 years out.

But (as I understood), this is your second wls?
    Your body has already had this metabolic shock.
    What that means is, that it is harder to loose, this second time around.
    Harder, not impossible.
    Just a bit more work.

Loosing, maintaining and regaining, it is all in our own hands.
    We are the ones that decide what goes into our mouths.
    No one is forcefeeding us.

I posted a link to a very informative video (my opinion), from a bariatric surgeon in Melbourne.
    He explains it very well.
    I'll try to find it for you.
    You may find it interesting.
    He talks about calories, the volume of the sleeve after a couple of months up to 1,5 year and some more things.
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal
    Hi Shannon

Looking at this week to date I have averaged just over 800 (817 to be exact) calories a day. Of that 42% Protein, 36% carbohydrate, 22% fat. I actually don't pay too much attention to the percentages. As long as I know that I am getting my allotted grams of protein - around 80g - and then a few vegetables/salad items and a piece of fruit I'm ok. That along with about 1 1/2 - 2 litres of water seems to suit me. I'm 55 and 5'2" so maybe not a good comparison for you.

I'm sure all will be good with you. You have the right attitude to make this work :-)

Hello Lisa!

Thank you for the information.

I had been thinking I was consuming far too many calories (even though I eat like a bird.) I found that out of boredom, I graze. And by doing so, I can only assume that my caloric intake skyrockets.

I will reduce my caloric intake, increase my protein intake, and put to end with the boredom grazing that has been taking place. I think by doing these things I will begin to see the numbers I am akin to seeing from the beginning of this new journey.
    Hello DutchSleeve!

I tend to agree with everything you stated in your blog reply, and now find myself questioning everything I have been doing. In beginning of this process, what I have found is that I believe my caloric intake is too high for my needs. Couple that with boredom grazing and well...it is nothing short of a disaster.

You are correct. This is my second WLS. My current VSG is a revision of a RnY in 2002 that went wrong. While I own my fair share of that issue, I am finding that the VSG is an entirely different procedure in that it has its own set of rules. My mind is telling me what I learned from my RnY procedure, while all of the information I gather from this community and elsewhere tends to tell me different. Having said that, I sometimes find myself at odds with what I am trying to accomplish.

I want my VSG to work. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW BAD I WANT THIS TO WORK. But my struggle is very real in that I have had some obstacles to overcome before I could fully focus on the task at hand. So to say it has been an uphill battle would be an understatement.

I intend to watch the video you provided below, and if at all possible, would like to discuss it with you upon completion. But I will leave that up to you as I don't want to force myself upon anyone in this community.

Have a great weekend...
    I am not going anywhere.

And there is no doubt in my mind you will find your way to make this work.
    You will figure it out.

Just curious: it is 12.10 where I am right now, so noon.
    Is it in the middle of the night in the USA?
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve
    I am not going anywhere.

And there is no doubt in my mind you will fing your way to make this work.
    You will figure it out.

Just curious: it is 12.10 where I am right now, so noon.
    Is it in the middle of the night in the USA?

As I write this, it is currently 5:23 AM.
    Hello again DutchSleeve!

I want to thank you for forwarding me that video. It was not only insightful, but inspirational in that it broke down the realities of VSG over time - something I really needed to take a look at.

Would you mind if I mention you and re-post this on my blog? I think it could prove beneficial to quite a few of us out there.

Shannon
    Please share!
    That is, after all, the essence of what we are doing here.

Yes, I thought you might like it.You strike me as a man, who likes to know backgrounds and information about this procedure, in order to figure out what to do.
    I also like to make informed decisions.

But sometimes it also is trial and errror, which is the best learning curve, in my opinion.
    A lifetime of learning.
    Wow, isn't that exciting?